Solution at Centre Back

Shaelumstash

The only centre half we have at the club that suits our style of play is Kompany. To press so high up the pitch, the defenders need to be agressive, physical, read the game well, and have some pace. All of our centre backs have one or more of these attributes, but none of them have them all, except for Vinny.

That is why Nastasic is looking so poor this season. He's essentially an old fashioned sweeper, brilliant reader of the game, likes playing deep and reading the situation and dealing with it with intelligence and technique. Ask him to push up to the half way line and out muscle players with aggression and power, and he's well out of his comfort zone. Lescott is far too slow to play that high, and for me DeMichelis is too reckless, not strong enough, and also not exactly a whippet.

I think there might potentially be a solution at the club though; Micah Richards. Now before you laugh, I know he's woefully out of form, and been poor this season. I know many think he doesn't have the intelligence to play centre back and see him as a full back only. I understand that view, and setting up how we did last season, I'd agree. But playing the way we do this season, a centre back is needed that has many of Richards attributes: Pace, aggression, physicality, strength. All things we were looking for from Mangala, that Richards has in abundance.

I remember his spell at centre back under Sven, and he was magnificent. In fact, the derby at home is one of the best centre back displays I've ever seen by a City player. He has the tools to be a very accomplished centre back, particularly in the style we are playing this season, and with the world class Kompany alongside him.

His pace in the centre would allow us to push up and play aggressive, attacking football, and leave us far less vulnerable to counter attacks like against Chelsea. Far less vulnerable to direct balls over the top like against Cardiff and Watford.

I remember before Arsenal's Invincibles season, Wenger was desperate for a new centre half. He scoured the world and couldn't find one. Then he woke up one morning and thought, our young right winger has all of the attributes to be a centre half, and he coached him in the being one. Kolo Toure went on to play centre back in the best Arsenal team in history. Micah is far more capable now than Kolo was when Wenger had his brain wave.

I also remember Micah playing that position against Norwich on the final day of last season.

He was cringeworthy bad.

Even the attributes he did have, he no longer has.

Not especially quick and, surprisingly for such a lump, a danger to his own well-being.

I agree totally on Nasty, always thought Rodwell would make a top centre half?

You can't play Centre Back from the physio room.

I love Micah, but I don't think this is the right move for our squad. It may be the right move for the player to move to CB long term, but I don't think it will be with us. Playing CB would remove one of his major sources of injury and one of his key strengths, which is a sort of recklessness in attack, but I don't know if he really reads the game well enough to play this position.

silvasleftleg said:
Micah is right footed. He cannot play as an LCB.

Yeh but Vinny can play LCB, he played there alongside Kolo. I don't think it's a long term solution but could be worth a try against the poorer teams.

For the majority of matches I like the pairing of Kompany and Lescott, I know it has frailties but it will work, then for other games Demichaels. I'm afraid Nastasic needs some time on the bench IMO

Kompany and Lescott all day long for me. That's the pairing that worked when we won the league. Nastasic has been poor all season, and words can't even describe Demichelis. Kompany and Lescott would hopefully see us through to the summer where we will probably buy someone. Don't forget Rekik though, he's a very good centre back in good form at PSV and that looks good for us in the future.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
I also remember Micah playing that position against Norwich on the final day of last season.

He was cringeworthy bad.

Even the attributes he did have, he no longer has.

Not especially quick and, surprisingly for such a lump, a danger to his own well-being.

I agree totally on Nasty, always thought Rodwell would make a top centre half?

This is where I think Rodders started at EFC - centre back. He has some pace, shouldn't be muscled off the ball, and can read what needs to be read. Trouble is that MP would not play him in that position!

bluemanc1994 said:
Kompany and Lescott all day long for me. That's the pairing that worked when we won the league. Nastasic has been poor all season, and words can't even describe Demichelis. Kompany and Lescott would hopefully see us through to the summer where we will probably buy someone. Don't forget Rekik though, he's a very good centre back in good form at PSV and that looks good for us in the future.

Don't get why people keep saying Lescott. We won the league 2 years ago.

I think Dzeko would make a decent centre back - he's tall, great in the air, good touch, excellent passer and pretty quick over the ground.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.