Some of our deals!

BringBackSwales

Who at the club would have been involved in sanctioning the deals for Ade, Bridge, Bellamy and RSC? Clearly Hughes wanted the players, but who else sanctioned fees of £25M, £12M, £14M and £19M respectively (£70M total) and contracts of allegedly £160k, £90k, £90k and £80k per week, a further £22M per year? In each case I think the contract awarded was 4 or 5 years?

I don't suppose that Messrs Cook and Khaldoon know an awful lot about the relative strengths and weaknesses of particular players, but surely this is a key part of the role and responsibility of Brian Marwood? If so he really should hang his head in shame at the amount of wasted money he has helped subject the club to - if you are going to sanction deals that big Brian surely you should make sure that their track record in terms of ability, temperament and fitness makes it worth such huge financial commitments? None of these 4 players tick all 3 boxes.

Marwood seems like a nice enough bloke, but is he good enough at his job?

I can't explain how much its annoys me that these four fuckers are taking so much money from us every week especially when the club were offering shite contracts in comparison too the heart of our team (Kompany and Nigel).

BringBackSwales said:
Who at the club would have been involved in sanctioning the deals for Ade, Bridge, Bellamy and RSC? Clearly Hughes wanted the players, but who else sanctioned fees of £25M, £12M, £14M and £19M respectively (£70M total) and contracts of allegedly £160k, £90k, £90k and £80k per week, a further £22M per year? In each case I think the contract awarded was 4 or 5 years?

I don't suppose that Messrs Cook and Khaldoon know an awful lot about the relative strengths and weaknesses of particular players, but surely this is a key part of the role and responsibility of Brian Marwood? If so he really should hang his head in shame at the amount of wasted money he has helped subject the club to - if you are going to sanction deals that big Brian surely you should make sure that their track record in terms of ability, temperament and fitness makes it worth such huge financial commitments? None of these 4 players tick all 3 boxes.

The actual fees were inflated because it was us buying those players.

And at the time, we were a mid table club. We bought Ade and RSC in the pre season after finishing 10th, and Bridge and Bellamy in the January before that. We had to pay big wages to get these players to move to us.

It was a necessary eveil to get us to finish 5th that year, then ultimately take the final stepping stone into the Champions Lge the next season.

You don't think these players would have moved for the same money they were on at their previous clubs do you?

And at the time, we were a mid table club. We bought Ade and RSC in the pre season after finishing 10th, and Bridge and Bellamy in the January before that. We had to pay big wages to get these players to move to us.

It was a necessary eveil to get us to finish 5th that year, then ultimately take the final stepping stone into the Champions Lge the next season.

You don't think these players would have moved for the same money they were on at their previous clubs do you?[/quote]

There is a huge difference between the money they were on at their previous clubs and what we paid though, so yes I think we went crazy - £160k per week for Ade is probably close on £100k per week more than he was on at Arsenal, RSC was allegedly on less than £30k a week at Blackburn, Bridge was a reserve at Chelsea, and no way was Bellers on more than £50k a week at West Ham. I think these deals were all disgustingly stupid.

Although I also accept the criticism of hindsight being a wonderful thing, who could have ever thought at the time that these fees and contracts were even close to reasonable?

In my experience yer never get folk owning up to being part of anything that goes belly up. The man/woman/beast at the top will tell you that 99% of their remuneration is for being the one who is ultimately responsible. Those immediately below moan and groan about how outrageous this is and when the effluent hits the whizzy thing on the ceiling they do a complete volte face and concur while the boss person cops for the whole mess.

At the time we trying to bring in an entire squad of new players. Its fairly obvious that mistakes will be made when recruiting on that scale. Some of the players clearly weren't our first choices eg Adebayor was signed after Eto'o turned us down and some were signed because they were pretty much the only available options in their position eg Bridge

Its to be expected that as our recruitment becomes more focused there should be fewer mistakes, but what club hasnt made poor buys?

Fanny Fart said:
BringBackSwales said:

It was a necessary evil to get us to finish 5th that year, then ultimately take the final stepping stone into the Champions Lge the next season.

You don't think these players would have moved for the same money they were on at their previous clubs do you?

bang on the money, they were stepping stones to what we have now, now players WANT to come and its all down to the status we now have, without these signings we would have got this far.
speculate to accumulate i'm afraid.
like robinio coming, a brilliant player but a mard arse who could'nt be bothered, he however shot us to prominance in a split second, worth every penny.

de niro said:
Fanny Fart said:
BringBackSwales said:

It was a necessary evil to get us to finish 5th that year, then ultimately take the final stepping stone into the Champions Lge the next season.

bang on the money, they were stepping stones to what we have now, now players WANT to come and its all down to the status we now have, without these signings we would have got this far.
speculate to accumulate i'm afraid.
like robinio coming, a brilliant player but a mard arse who could'nt be bothered, he however shot us to prominance in a split second, worth every penny.

I agree, the ends fully justified the means in this case. Merely being in the Champs League group stage is worth plenty to City and if we progress beyond that....

Do not understand the repeated attempts to undermine Cook & Marwood

This attempt may be a bit more lame than others - because although I cannot be arsed to check - I think these deals were done either before Marwood joined or at a time when the owner had chosen to back hughes and therefore Marwood was doing as instructed

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.