Son looking to choose Manchester Metropolitan University.

I wasn't certain, either. But I thought I remembered hearing young mancs being referred to as scallys back in the day.

I hope, if he gets in*, that he enjoys his time in God's own city. We're not all bad, you know?

*I have no idea how in demand places in MMU are, by the way.
It's likely to be his first choice and right at the top of his expected grades. Of the Uni's we've looked at it will be the least likely to make offers below (although they did this year). So he'll have to be bang on it. He does work pretty hard to be fair.
"We're not all bad, you know?" I know as I've worked for a couple of companies up that way, my first job after my apprenticeship was for Hilti and the head office in those days (early-mid eighties) was Bobby Charlton House!

We have visited once and are back for a 2nd visit at the end of November as my son has this University down as his favourite choice so far.

He would be based around the Brooks building and in student accommodation nearby for the 1st year.

Is anyone able to give me some advice on the area around it (is it classed as Hulme?)

We are at the game against Southampton this weekend and plan to park up and have a good look around, just sussing out transport in and out of the city, and what the surrounding area is like.

I’m sure the student’s union will provide loads of info but I just hoped asking on an actual Manchester forum might give me better feedback. (ANY comments welcome, just thought first hand experience might be better)
Do it, my one regret was not going to uni in Manchester and that's only because I live in Manchester and wanted to move away. He will love it!

Hulmes a lot safer than it used to be, I wouldn't have any issues around it

That was pretty much what I was expecting to hear mrbelfry. I'll be whizzing him down to the ASDA and market first of all! And to the local Asian and Middle Eastern supermarkets, I just wish we had some near us. My sister lived near Finchley in London and I had a field day when visiting, topping up on all sorts of stuff. Then picking up some real bagels from the Jewish bakeries in Golders Green before setting off for home. He'll no doubt have tons to do via the SU and Uni itself, but we just wanted feedback like yours about the actual area.
It's a pretty diverse area but he's on the wrong side of town for the Jewish community if that's important. It's an easy bus and tram ride to Prestwich or Bury although I'm not overly familiar with specifically where the Jewish community is. In today's climate in that area I'd read between the lines

It's a pretty diverse area but he's on the wrong side of town for the Jewish community if that's important. It's an easy bus and tram ride to Prestwich or Bury although I'm not overly familiar with specifically where the Jewish community is. In today's climate in that area I'd read between the lines
No connections to the Jewish community, just loved the bagels from a proper bakery. Never had anything like them ever. It was just to say I was hoping from what we’d seen so far there would be a load of cheap shops and they’d usually be where cities have a mix of cultures. He’ll eat/try absolutely anything my boy :-)

Daughter did her physio masters at MMU and graduated this year
Following graduation, she wrote a huge letter, on her and her fellow students behalf, criticising the way the course was run and the useless tutors
So sorry to hear that, hope she got the result she deserved despite the circumstances. A key question we’ll ask is about the size of his course and contact with lecturers . He’s the type who could get “lost” in a poor/big organisation. Went to Staffs Uni last week and one of the senior staff said “we know our students”. Done a few visits now so fairly switched on to what he needs to suit him.

So sorry to hear that, hope she got the result she deserved despite the circumstances. A key question we’ll ask is about the size of his course and contact with lecturers . He’s the type who could get “lost” in a poor/big organisation. Went to Staffs Uni last week and one of the senior staff said “we know our students”. Done a few visits now so fairly switched on to what he needs to suit him.
She’s incredibly focused and hard working and came out with a distinction despite the poor teaching
At graduation when she walked across the stage to be congratulated by the Dean, I said afterwards“ as you walked up to him, did you say “your physio course leadership is shite mate””

20240724_180633.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.