Songs banned by the BBC.... and why.

It's amazing to look back at the things the BBC banned songs for.
The band the song Lola by The kinks not because of the sexual connotations but because it contained the words Coca-Cola on the original version which of course is advertising.
the original stereo recording had the words "Coca-Cola" in the lyrics, but because of BBC Radio's policy against product placement, Ray Davies was forced to make a 6,000-mile (9,700 km) round-trip flight from New York to London and back on June 3, 1970, interrupting the band's American tour, to change those words to the generic "cherry cola" for the single release, which is included on various compilation albums as well.

The Rolling stones had the song Let's spend the night Together banned for sexual connotations.

The Beatles had several songs banned including I Am The Walrus for having the word knickers in the lyrics, also the song Back in the USSR for being too nice to the Russians who have just invaded Czechoslovakia.
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was banned because it spelt LSD...Even though Elton John had a number one hit with the song.
A Day in the Life was banned for wanting to turn someone on.
Come Together (sexual etc).

Solo John Lennon and solo Paul McCartney both had songs band about Ireland. So for political reasons.
John's Imagine was banned for imagining No Religion or Heaven.

Of course the Sex pistols song God save the Queen was immediately banned... we wouldn't want to upset royalty would we.
The Kinks really were the bad boys of the 60s music scene. After getting themselves banned from America in 65(for what could of been any of 3 million things or just the one) they were forever getting into some kind of (sometimes unwittingly)trouble back home. A few months after the Lola episode, Sir Raymond had to do exactly the same and come back from America to change one word from the Apeman song. The air pollution is a fogging up my eyes, sounded far too much like fucking up my eyes, so he had to change fogging to sound like fogging(although I still think it kinda sounds like focking. A few years prior to this, the BBC banned the promo video to Dead End street from being played on totp's due to someone jumping out of a coffin and chasing the band down the street. I definitely think it was this don't give a fuck and 2 fingers to the establishment that endeared themselves to the punk movement.

The Kinks really were the bad boys of the 60s music scene. After getting themselves banned from America in 65(for what could of been any of 3 million things or just the one) they were forever getting into some kind of (sometimes unwittingly)trouble back home. A few months after the Lola episode, Sir Raymond had to do exactly the same and come back from America to change one word from the Apeman song. The air pollution is a fogging up my eyes, sounded far too much like fucking up my eyes, so he had to change fogging to sound like fogging(although I still think it kinda sounds like focking. A few years prior to this, the BBC banned the promo video to Dead End street from being played on totp's due to someone jumping out of a coffin and chasing the band down the street. I definitely think it was this don't give a fuck and 2 fingers to the establishment that endeared themselves to the punk movement.
I'm sure my download has fucking up my eyes on it. That's what I always sing when it's playing anyway.

Jasper Carrott - Magic Roundabout, sexual innuendo.

Ding Dong the Witch is Dead from the Wizard of Oz, released on Thatcher’s death. Banned for being in bad taste.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.