Soriano: B teams in EFL

How about a loan draft system. Each club in League 1&2 if they desire can loan up to 5 players from Prem & Champ academies/reserve teams.

The caveat being that the clubs could only loan from certain regions. So the North West clubs such as Rochdale, Oldham, Accrington etc would be able to loan up to 5 players from City, United, Liverpool, Everton and so on. Harrogate and Bradford could loan from Leeds, Sheff United and so on.

You could go as far as to say dependent on finances that determines who gets first pick on certain players. The clubs loaning would be able to say we have these players available for loan to League 1 clubs in our region and these for League 2. Then it would go to 1st pick for the least wealthy club in each region and league and so on until they’ve decided they’ve had enough or filled their 5 player allocation.

The loaning club would pay the wages and be able to recall only by January if they are not being used.

I think something like that could work as it means the players are still being kept local and in some instances you may have a couple at the same club and possibly on loan with a couple from another local club. Rather than being sent to the other end of the country. This could also mean they can still check in at the City Academy say twice a week.

For those where League 1 and 2 are not a high enough level such as Patrick Roberts/Lukas Nmecha for instance I’d still allow those players to be loaned to wherever is deemed suitable.

Essentially the richer clubs would be providing a pool of young players to clubs in their local regions to be dipped into free of charge, with the loaning club getting the young player developed. I think something like that could work rather than B Teams which I’m not a fan of.

I like this idea. The main issue for our best youth players is they are often at clubs where there are 2 senior pros on big wages for every position so they struggle to get close to the 1st team, but going on loan means you are at a club with no stake in your future beyond the 1 year you sign on for.

A draft/loan system where a prem league youth player gets a 4 year contract at around 19/20 age group but paid by the parent club (the contract conditional that they go into the draft). Then gets picked by a lower league side to do a standard 3 years. The smaller club gets a player for no cost but having them for 3 years means that it is a commitment to make use of them and to coach them - you could build in development fees paid by the parent club when they hit numbers of games played etc. And you could build in a buy back system where if a player is exceptionally good then the parent club can buy them out of the loan for a set amount - more incentive and money for the smaller clubs.

Doing it in the style of the NFL draft would also be very good for the profile of the players and as a fan I would be in to it. If each lower league team had 6 of these players they could have 2 picks a year so you have a rolling 6 players at each club.

its simple all the top clubs buy a local team like man city buy oldham or bury ? they keep everything the same name and ground and used each other ?? are bury or oldham big enough to get to the premier league anymore NOPE so what is the problem

its just like a player going on loan to oldham or bury ? you let players go and you still paying his wages
not enough local people go to oldham or bury games anymore ? its sad but simply true

its like your fav shop back in the day ? something like Woolworths when people stop shopping there it goes bust or somebody buys it and changes its name

You don't speak for everyone. Some of us would love to watch all our teams play, some of us do care about our development teams, some fans of EFL clubs would love to watch potential stars of the future and see how their own teams fare against them. Maybe you wouldn't watch, that's your choice but you are not everyone.
You say you are from Cork - but you would come over just to watch our reserves play? So you went to Rochdale, Bradford and Bolton in last years EFL Trophy?? - because remember we already have a 'B team' playing competitive games and it seems to me that almost nobody gives a shit - there were 1,172 (3,632) at Rochdale, 868 (14,309) at Bradford and 2,616 (11,480) at Bolton - for info the (crowds in brackets) are the same teams average attendances last season in league games!!! Just to repeat... that nobody gives a shit about B teams

Yes, I completely agree. The finances are unfairly distributed, always have been and always will be. It's just that as the disparity gets larger at some point you cross the threshold in which the system as it stands is no longer viable. We were approaching it anyway and the pandemic pressed fast forward on everything. Unless you can change the income distribution, which you wont be able to, there needs to be reform.
Ironically whilst finances are "unfairly distributed" and "aways will be" - it is probably unfair to say 'always have been'. It all started with a certain team called Manchester United lobbying successfully in the 80s to keep home gate receipts - until then receipts for each game was shared. This was the start of a horribly slippery slope where the rich get richer and richer and don't care about the rest, fine in a normal economic model where a near monopoly can result in more and more profit but different in sport. Hopefully the top teams will accept this but it is unlikely given almost all are after as much personal profit as possible

Why would you want the players to receive less money and the owners to receive more of the profit? because that's all salary caps do. Im sure all the American owners would vote for it. Lets cap Amazons employees wages so Jeff Bezos can make some more money.

The owners don't and won't make money though. Right now, these are loss making businesses. The caps don't have to be so low that the owners will cream all the profits but they can be low enough to make the businesses viable.

its simple all the top clubs buy a local team like man city buy oldham or bury ? they keep everything the same name and ground and used each other ?? are bury or oldham big enough to get to the premier league anymore NOPE so what is the problem

its just like a player going on loan to oldham or bury ? you let players go and you still paying his wages
not enough local people go to oldham or bury games anymore ? its sad but simply true

its like your fav shop back in the day ? something like Woolworths when people stop shopping there it goes bust or somebody buys it and changes its name

Now ffp the dream of a sugar daddy coming in and pumping millions/billions has gone the dream as gone Gill the **** has a lot to answer for.

You say you are from Cork - but you would come over just to watch our reserves play? So you went to Rochdale, Bradford and Bolton in last years EFL Trophy?? - because remember we already have a 'B team' playing competitive games and it seems to me that almost nobody gives a shit - there were 1,172 (3,632) at Rochdale, 868 (14,309) at Bradford and 2,616 (11,480) at Bolton - for info the (crowds in brackets) are the same teams average attendances last season in league games!!! Just to repeat... that nobody gives a shit about B teams
Or nobody gives a shit about the EFL Trophy?

Edit:-

Bolton v Bradford - 9,062
Rochdale v Bolton - 1,412
Bradford v Rochdale - 761

Last edited:
Ahh, the Little Englander outlook. Who wants change when we can blindly carry on walking in to the abyss.

Soriano is quite right that things are heading for a disaster in the lower leagues and has already for some clubs. Does English culture and tradition mean letting historic clubs disappear entirely or is it time to try and save them? You went to York? Yippee fucking do, will you still be telling people 'I went to York' when most will be asking 'did they have a football team back then?' Get it done.

Your first paragraph is just pure bollocks BTW.
I guess it is about opinions. The York reference was ironic, fairly obviously I thought, sorry if it went over your head!

The owners don't and won't make money though. Right now, these are loss making businesses. The caps don't have to be so low that the owners will cream all the profits but they can be low enough to make the businesses viable.

I don't think many lower league owners are making money - quite the opposite.

There are a number of high profile arse hole owners that come in and asset strip the place but the majority are local business men who have a go at pumping money in to 'sort the club out' and end up down the line looking to sell up as the club continues to haemorrhage cash.

FFP should help them but as we know - the way it was done was totally flawed. Having a salary cap is a simple approach and is worth a try however in the world of rugby (league and union) the flaws in that system have been well and truly exploited.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.