Souness

In general terms I like his punditry but this is the kind of on-air incident that could do for him a la Rodney Marsh and a number of other co-commentators and pundits who have been phased out over the years.
The Rodney Marsh one was harsh. A joke about the tsunami in Asia, but it was really a joke about David Beckham being thick. Maybe not appropriate at the time, but not really malicious. An apology should have sufficed, but I suspect they just took an opportunity to get rid of someone who wasn't one of their top pundits anyway.

The others I can think of all deserved it though. Keys and Gray had unambiguously sexist comments, and Ron Atkinson's was about as racist as they come.

But yeah, Graham's comments are not sexist or disparaging to women. You could make an argument in society as a whole that the idea of "man up" is one that we should be getting away from, but it was clear that he was using "a man's game" to refer to an old school game before all of the feigning and diving about came into it. Perhaps that's based on old-fashioned, macho ideas, but it obviously wasn't aimed at disparaging women or the women's game unless you're desperate to read that into it. So I'm glad he hasn't apologized. Nothing more annoying nowadays than the fake apology from someone who clearly doesn't mean it but has been forced to do so by their employer.

There’s a lot of moving parts with this Souness thing. He’s clearly talking about the Men’s PL game he’s just watched being a “man’s game”, so he’s factually correct, but in today’s over sensitive woke world he’s got to think before he says that. It’s thoughtless in today’s climate, if you want to avoid any and all backlash.

The inference that anyone, with a certain predisposition, can take is that the women’s game isn’t capable of having the same level of fight and toughness. I think he’s alluded to that without saying as much. It’s probably his opinion, and aside from the last 10 mins of the Euros final (when our ladies got the Germans snapping into challenges), from the matches I’ve seen, in general, the ladies’ game certainly seems far more friendly.

The question is; should he really be dragged over coals for saying what he said? Some will say it’s evidence of double standards in football, others will say those folk, who feel that way, need to be less eager to jump on what MIGHT be an outdated phrase. The rest of us will opt for FFS.

Fuck me what utter nonsense, its getting out of hand all this pc bollox now.
There are people out there who live for this shit n’all. It’s utterly pathetic.

It’s getting on my wick now. I can see why people have a go at “woke” shit.

There are people out there who live for this shit n’all. It’s utterly pathetic.

Like you, you mean?

Has anyone commented more in this thread than you?

You're more worked up at the idea people would take issue with Souness' comments than anyone is about what he said.

I popped back in here to see if something had developed from a story that was already dead by lunchtime, but it’s just a bunch of the same posters repeating the same comments about how outraged they are about outrage over and over again to each other, with no one arguing that Souness has committed a terrible offence.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.