Southampton (A) - Carabao Cup | Post Match Thread

Aside from United, who we were fantastic against for 70 minutes, we haven't played the big boys and we definitely haven't been playing as well as we can. It feels like Pep is trying to work the team out still, and his chopping & changing (Foden hardly playing after a hattrick), hasn't led to great performances. Wins for the most part, but considering the quality of the players, you'd expect it.

I don't disagree and it's better than the hamfisted flapping from earlier! Like I said earlier, we're having to find our balance with new types of strikers and out-of-form wingers.

That's a difficult balance to strike, so we're doing well to be second as many a team would have slipped to mid table (Dippers) with those kind of changes!

Come on, guys!!

I think the team lacks real 'tough' character tbh. We don't seem to mix it when needed like previous years (Tevez, De Jong, Bellamy, Kompany, Dhino even). Peps approach to games has defo changed this season we seem so slow and laboured. Is he working his ticket??
Again mate , I think he’s genuinely managing minutes played with the players , Brentford game aside (and maybe tonight) we’ve done pretty good. The Brentford game especially, if we had won that game we could actually have gone top if we win on Saturday. Fine margins , I’d expect the wounded animal to surface at 12.30 this Saturday.

To be honest. I don't think Phillips will ever make the elite level. He can't control the ball and make a simple pass. It looks like a disastrous signing. We have not made many mistakes but Phillips looks like one. I trust my judgement after watching City since 1967. I can recognise shite when I see it because I have seen a lot of it.
He's certainly done nowt to date but I suppose they thought he was worth the gamble for a modest fee.

Looks like a waste of money at present but needs that fitness and a run of games.

His injury record was there to see though so it could be argued the gamble wasn't worth it, time will tell and I hope he comes good.

My take is there’s three or four of the lads who put their trust in the regular big game players and when picked to play with the fringe players there’s no confidence from them . I’m not saying there’s a click but this has been a problem in a few games now. Also pep needs to stop playing with the press in giving stupid quotes and stop playing to the media in being to clever. It doesn’t help.

It's got nothing to do with it being a marathon, a sprint or an egg and spoon race.

The a simple fact is we have not played well for the majority of the season.

And are second just think if we hit form we will win the league by 10 points! Don’t like us losing games but that loss could be a blessing! Champs league and premier are our priorities! Going to be a tight league right to the end oh at least two less games for us!

He’s never the worst because he’s technically superb. He just usually plays the same game week in week out. Great touch and close control. Keeps the ball and wins free kicks but rarely goes past players in key areas and when he is in the box constantly just twats the ball against defenders because for his ability he’s terrible at making half a yard to get a shot off. All part of Pep’s plan to keep the ball though
You describe him well. Has good dribbling skills and ball retention but doesnt possess that quick change of feet. He cant seem to find that gap to get a clear shot on goal. He needs to be doing more.

I think he's been poor since the end of last season to be honest, he faded out then, and has never recovered from it, shows the odd glimpse of good, but tonight was the worst he's been.

That said you could have subbed Philipps with someone from the away end at half time, and there would have been an improvement, and I like Philipps.

Walker isn't a CB in a 2 either, playing him there negates the whole team for me, maybe OK in a 3, but I'm not convinced, compare him tonight to Sunday when he was at his best.

None of that particularly helps Gomez settle in either.

Put Philipps (in that form) in front of that back four, and it's little wonder we had the shambles we had, Laporte can't possibly carry all of them, even against the team bottom of the PL.

Moving up the pitch, Palmer was poor, but he was spending a lot of time trying to cover Cancelo, and Grealish played like an idiot, and should have been off at half time for me, he did nothing to help Gomez, and gave the ball away nearly every time it went to him.

The half time changes certainly improved us, but not nearly enough, as we still created next to nothing, Akanji and Ake vastly improved the defence, KdB still looks way off form to me but he did improve us going forward, Rodri gave us control of midfield, but he can't play every game. Haaland didn't do much, he often doesn't, but he is a danger, Alverez was totally isoled first half, but did improve when better support was around him, and when he went more wide, as did Foden.

A very poor night for us really, but if there is a season where going out of this at the quarter final stage, I'd rather it be this one.
Totally agree

He's certainly done nowt to date but I suppose they thought he was worth the gamble for a modest fee.

Looks like a waste of money at present but needs that fitness and a run of games.

His injury record was there to see though so it could be argued the gamble wasn't worth it, time will tell and I hope he comes good.
So do I.
But he looks divisions behind Rodri

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.