Southampton (H) Post-Match Thread

Perhaps planned direct running at massed defenders benefitting from any contact may result in freekick opportunities that may be more rewarding than current passing style?

For most of the first half, we tried the same tactics. David Raz and Angelino looked good down the right, with some success, and Kev & Bernie down the left, less so. There was zero room for Aguero to operate and with Gundy working on his own centrally, got caught out a couple of times, but basically were were banging our heads against a brick wall. We have some good strikers of the ball, I was hoping we would move Kev more centeral, and set him up with some shooting opportunities over the defence, Even Angelino could have a crack. We just seem to try the same tatics for too long. They knew what was coming and did it very well.

I guess you two won't be getting married anytime soon......?

Ha ...probably not. I have no problem with his opinion thoughI dont agree with it but Im fine with that..thats what is all about but throwing petty insults around is just unecessary.

I thought the ref's performance was poor yesterday and needlessly nitpicky - he didnt let the game flow at all - his decision whenthe ball hit him baffled me but Ive since learnt from other postings that that rule has changed which i hadnt known - think its an unecessary rule change as the ref should be regarded as part of the pitch. His decision to book Ederson was awful and as i originally posted, idiotic, as their keeper (and other players (including their own bench) had been wasting time all game

I hope that I am not the only one who came away from yesterday's match buoyed by our great comeback.

You certainly won’t be. I felt the same. We weren’t at our best, by any means, but we fought back well against a side that came so obviously to defend, playing very deep, narrowing the game and allowing us nothing through the middle. Add to that their early goal which gave them something to hang on to for three-quarters of the game. It was a frustrating match to watch for much of the time - our poor decision making, the oft-mentioned tendency to chip the ball thoughtlessly into a phalanx of burly defenders and Southampton’s game-long time wasting tactics - but I thought it was a tense, gripping and ultimately rewarding afternoon.

Perhaps planned direct running at massed defenders benefitting from any contact may result in freekick opportunities that may be more rewarding than current passing style?

I was actually thinking about this during the game yesteday. Liverpool playersut themselves in positions where they can try to buy penalties constantly and seem to be able to do it more than us (regardless of whether ref's buy it or not - thats not what Im thinking about here) - they have a lot of players who directly run at players....Salah, Mane firmino, both fullbacks as well...our players besides Raheem (And sane when fit) dont tend to (Kun occasionally) -our players are often running into space and onto passes/through balls.

Of course then there is the discussion about whether we get the penalties we deserve (and there have been a number this year when we havent - David Silvas being most relevant here)but thats a slightly different discussion.

You certainly won’t be. I felt the same. We weren’t at our best, by any means, but we fought back well against a side that came so obviously to defend, playing very deep, narrowing the game and allowing us nothing through the middle. Add to that their early goal which gave them something to hang on to for three-quarters of the game. It was a frustrating match to watch for much of the time - our poor decision making, the oft-mentioned tendency to chip the ball thoughtlessly into a phalanx of burly defenders and Southampton’s game-long time wasting tactics - but I thought it was a tense, gripping and ultimately rewarding afternoon.

We are use to teams coming and defending against us deep at home but that yesterday was at another level....8 outfiled players lined up along the 6 yd line at times. After ther goal they barely got out of their 18yd area let alone their own half and at times their forwards were defending crosses ont he byline.

What i loved was the spirit of the team shown specifically by Kun when he was being subbed (and when he scored -he is usally very smiley but you could see the aggression in him yesterday) and also Pep - the crowd responded to it as well

We are use to teams coming and defending against us deep at home but that yesterday was at another level....8 outfiled players lined up along the 6 yd line at times. After ther goal they barely got out of their 18yd area let alone their own half and at times their forwards were defending crosses ont he byline.

What i loved was the spirit of the team shown specifically by Kun when he was being subbed (and when he scored -he is usally very smiley but you could see the aggression in him yesterday) and also Pep - the crowd responded to it as well

sloppy goals conceded like yesterday give teams something to defend unfortunately and I think to some extent we were the architects of this problem yesterday. We have to cut out stupid goals. Norwich held on to their win courtesy of a daft couple of goals and whilst they didn’t yesterday, it was touch and go for the majority of the match. The opposition can play how they want and it’s up to us to find a way. Yesterday thankfully we did but we can’t have too many games like that.

His decision to book Ederson was awful and as i originally posted, idiotic

Especially so, when he blew up* as soon as Eddie took the kick.

* Not literally, of course, though that would have been mightily entertaining - and truly deserved!

sloppy goals conceded like yesterday give teams something to defend unfortunately and I think to some extent we were the architects of this problem yesterday. We have to cut out stupid goals. Norwich held on to their win courtesy of a daft couple of goals and whilst they didn’t yesterday, it was touch and go for the majority of the match. The opposition can play how they want and it’s up to us to find a way. Yesterday thankfully we did but we can’t have too many games like that.

agree about the giving away of stupid goals...some fo it is party due to the way we play and we are so open (Pep has said this himself) but individual errors like Ederson yesterday you cannot account for. when it happens it does make it harder. I think Southampton were going to play like that ayway..it was clearly planned as they were so well drilled and the discipline with which they held positions was incredible to be fair. Their defenders played very well (the lad with . long hair always plays well against Kun -ive noticed it before)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.