Southampton (H) | Post Match Thread

Good performance but I’m not sure about the value of making so many substitutes at once. I appreciate that it gives players minutes, but it just becomes a little disjointed.
Disagree. I think it’s a luxury we haven’t had up until now.
The value of lessons learned when they meet tomorrow and have points of failure pointed out.

Example; I thought Palmer was excellent but was trying to force an end product to get noticed, not too dissimilar to what Foden was doing at the start of the season, when we criticised him for not passing to Haaland. Look at his partnership now.

Palmer gets minutes not in his legs but in his head at PL football.

Same for Louis and Gomez.

It bodes well for the squad.

Apparently Dortmund fans were glad to see him go.....WTF !!

Because they want confirmation if he wants to go or not, apparently Akanji have been stalling on his contract renewal. Asking too much so they rather let the club sold him before running down his contract at Dortmund.

Apparently Dortmund fans were glad to see him go.....WTF !!

They have 2 other CBs of similar or higher class. And main problem for Akanji for Dortmund was his game in the air, he was considered(and he probablyis - just we had not been tested on this thus far) mediocre to bad in headers and playing up in the air. But he was one of the best CBs in Bundesliga in pass accuracy, in stopping the defender accuracy as also in some other areas of passing and defending.

I wish Haaland buried his chance that smashed the left post. Phil has scored some cracking goals but that assist would have gone straight into the highlights reel.

Disagree. I think it’s a luxury we haven’t had up until now.
The value of lessons learned when they meet tomorrow and have points of failure pointed out.

Example; I thought Palmer was excellent but was trying to force an end product to get noticed, not too dissimilar to what Foden was doing at the start of the season, when we criticised him for not passing to Haaland. Look at his partnership now.

Palmer gets minutes not in his legs but in his head at PL football.

Same for Louis and Gomez.

It bodes well for the squad.
Fair enough, I just think it becomes too disjointed and leads to us losing shape and rhythm, which is why, as you point out, you have cameos. It’s happened twice now. Even if 2X two substitutions were spaced 5-7 minutes apart, we’d be more likely to keep our shape and players would conform. Without the League Cup, of course, I can understand the desire to have more minutes in legs.

Expected the score for the game, we are playing the best football since.

The epiphany is now how we have ended up with Ake and Akanji. Both are commanding and solid at the back. Shades of Kompany too, great at defending and great at releasing the ball from the back.

Cancelo levelled up today. A complete footballer in that position not many to go around.

Palmer is growing in confidence.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.