Spurs 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
With respect, that is not true.

The Y word (I'm guessing that I'm not allowed to use it in full on this forum?) is actually a yiddish term of respect. Context is everything. Does Spurs fans' use of the word have positive or negative intent? Clearly the former. In legal terms, think mens rea.
Please don't tell someone who is Jewish that the word Yid isn't anti semitic

Please don't tell someone who is Jewish that the word Yid isn't anti semitic

But are you of Ashkenazi Jewish origin? If not, then you should educate yourself as to their language - Yiddish - before trying to tell someone who is educated as to their language (in this particular respect, at least) that the word Yid is uniquely an anti-Semitic word when, in fact, it is first and foremost an Ashkenazi Jewish term of respect.

Spurs fans, having some Jewish in my background myself, I understand why you use the word and that it's not being used an insult (far from it). But you should be aware that Mike Summerbee, for one, is still a total legend in this club and is incidentally Club Ambassador. So it's not a word that goes down well on this forum.
OK this may be incredibly naive of me but what's the Summerbee connection?

But are you of Ashkenazi Jewish origin? If not, then you should educate yourself as to their language - Yiddish - before trying to tell someone who is educated as to their language (in this particular respect, at least) that the word Yid is uniquely an anti-Semitic word when, in fact, it is first and foremost an Ashkenazi Jewish term of respect.
It’s not black and white based on your post, however I thinks there’s enough empirical evidence to suggest its a word that now has race hate implications for most of the Jewish population, they don’t like it so it’s simple, don’t use it.

It’s not black and white based on your post, however I thinks there’s enough empirical evidence to suggest its a word that now has race hate implications for most of the Jewish population, they don’t like it so it’s simple, don’t use it.

Not entirely true. A majority of Jewish Spurs fans love that Spurs fans as a whole use it positively to mean anyone - fan; player, manager; ex player; etc - connected to the club.

On a more general philosophical level, there is no such thing as the right to not be offended. If, after context and intent have been taken into account, someone chooses to be offended regardless that no intent was meant, then that is entirely on them. No blame can be attached to the supposed, but actually innocent, offender. I refer once again to the legal principle of mens rea.

Again, not true. A majority of Jewish Spurs fans love that Spurs fans as a whole use it positively to mean anyone - fan; player, manager; ex player; etc - connected to the club.

On a more general philosophical level, there is no such thing as the right to not be offended. If, after context and intent have been taken into account, someone chooses to be offended regardless that no intent was meant, then that is entirely on them. No blame can be attached to the supposed, but actually innocent, offender. I refer once again to the legal principle of men’s rea.
They used to sing “yid army” but don’t anymore, I think if you used the word at WHL you would be chucked out, perhaps our Spurs “friends” can confirm.

And BTW Spuds, batter (as in beat at football) those dipper fuckers, you could use our song if you want. Allez, Allez, Allez,

They used to sing “yid army” but don’t anymore, I think if you used the word at WHL you would be chucked out, perhaps our Spurs “friends” can confirm.

And BTW Spuds, batter (as in beat at football) those dipper fuckers, you could use our song if you want. Allez, Allez, Allez,

I am a Spurs fan and we use the word in songs multiple times in every match! No one gets thrown out. There was a very brief period a few years ago when, after lobbying by Chelsea fan David Baddiel, police arrested a few Spurs fans for using the word. But those few cases were quickly laughed out of court - precisely because of mens rea.

Yes I am and I am telling you that the use of the Y word in today's society is anti semitic. It is not a term of respect and the numbers of people who speak Yiddish in the UK is so tiny it wouldn't even register.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.