Spurs (A) | PL | Post-Match Thread

Teams have sussed out how we use Haaland. Stop the supply of through-balls from central areas & Haaland can make as many runs as he wants. They'll either close down the space, or cut out the pass.

Spurs had SEVEN players centrally in their 5-4-1 formation, totally surrounding Haaland. The only times he lost them was when he dropped deep.

Spurs also had 5 strung across the back, but crucially they kept their wingbacks wide, denying Grealish & Mahrez space & the chance to go around them.

It's simple. We were out-thought, plain & simple. It's the latest Premier League chess move to counter Guardiola. It's not something we haven't faced before, & I believe we're facing a 2017/18 scenario where big changes to personnel will be required.
A lot of good points but like against utd there was space for Haaland when he made runs but he was ignored numerous times

I have my suspicions too.

I've heard nowt but deep negativity from this dude since I encountered him.
What a load of shit. Try doing your homework on someone before talking out of your ass Chief. I suggest you open your eyes and your ears before making a fool of yourself. I'm a realist who is not afraid to post his thoughts or opinions. Most of the time highly optimistic or at most suggestive but right now we're experiencing a very problematic period that whether you agree or not can lead to longer term repercussions for the club and I'm going to post what I believe. You don't have to agree. And if you don't agree I won't call you a Red or a "Happy Clapper" as that would be your style ya mutt...

I don't believe that. I saw no lack of effort or hunger yesterday.

What I saw was a team lacking in direction and a lack of belief in the system they were being asked to play by Pep.

Same lack of belief I had we would win the Champions League final when I saw Pep's team selection.

Pep is second guessing himself, far too preoccupied with what the opposition can do, rather than what we are capable of as a team.

It translates to the lack of risk in our general play, one of absolute control until the final 18 yards, if we can even get there.

We really only have to look at the lack of saves we ask of opposition goalkeepers these days?

It's written all over Pep's face each time the camera loves to cut to him, he's getting no help from his bench.

We have lost at Spurs, Liverpool and United.

It's a mentality problem starting with Pep.

We don't need to hear that Kane is one of the best strikers he has seen in his life, or Liverpool are the most dangerous team he has seen in his life, or United are back to where they belong.

And we certainly don't need to hear him publicly complaining about our fans, Kalvin being overweight, wrong body language in training, Chelsea spending too much money or the four hour journey down to London being exhaustive.

C'mon Pep, you're better than this. Let us die on our feet than live on our knees.

Don't cut your nose to spite your face. This team is at the end of its cycle but we can still have a dream season if you trust the players who have taken us on this wonderful ride of success.

Release the handbrake.
Wierd
We look burnt out.

We need Diaz and Foden back asap but in good form.

Diaz is a leader and Foden sets the tempo. Always on the half turn when receiving the ball to run at players. But Pep seems to be stopping that from Foden now !
Foden may have bigger issues than work tbf

I don't think we are shit to watch but I get why some people do. Personally, I can enjoy much of our possession play.

The problem is two fold, partly (I think), it is the squad we find ourselves with but the biggest problem is that the majority of our opponents play a variation on packing their defences and hoping to prey on our mistakes. Spurs have been particularly good at that. Teams more and more are adding in spoiling tactics to try and disrupt our flow. Spurs did a lot of that and ultimately had a player sent off but got away with it.

It's proving a hard nut to crack but seems we have another big problem breaking.
To be honest our possession play hasn't been particularly good. It constantly gets pushed back and it's mostly sideways. I have come to the conclusion that teams are NOT parking the bus against us. We often just possess the ball at such a pedestrian pace that you'd have to be a lazy player on a lazy team to not get back on defense before we do anything.

The one or 2 times we made a quick play against spurs and attacked their defense early, they were in helter skelter mode.

We can't play so slow and then pretend the other team shouldn't get back In position to defend.

A lot of good points but like against utd there was space for Haaland when he made runs but he was ignored numerous times
Haaland might have found space, but there was little space to get the ball to him, hence he was so isolated...

HOWEVER, is this it? Is City sliding through-balls to Haaland our only means of scoring now? This new found one dimensionalism is what I find most concerning. \0/

Teams have sussed out how we use Haaland. Stop the supply of through-balls from central areas & Haaland can make as many runs as he wants. They'll either close down the space, or cut out the pass.

Spurs had SEVEN players centrally in their 5-4-1 formation, totally surrounding Haaland. The only times he lost them was when he dropped deep.

Spurs also had 5 strung across the back, but crucially they kept their wingbacks wide, denying Grealish & Mahrez space & the chance to go around them.

It's simple. We were out-thought, plain & simple. It's the latest Premier League chess move to counter Guardiola. It's not something we haven't faced before, & I believe we're facing a 2017/18 scenario where big changes to personnel will be required.
I think the speed of our play is the problem. It's extremely risk averse ( except for In the one area when it should have been). So we spent an inordinate amount of time making safe passes sideways and backwards. Overtime, it becomes predictable to anyone.

The opportunities are still there Mahrez missing an open Greosh and Haaland, Bernardo slowing the pace down while Haaland makes a run. etc.

And these were there despite our pedestrian play.

Quicker more aggressive play is needed. Get the ball near the final third and take risks with skilled players. Grealish, Kevin, Haaland, Gundogan Alvarez and co. Then get the ball to Haaland in space early.

Haaland might have found space, but there was little space to get the ball to him, hence he was so isolated...

HOWEVER, is this it? Is City sliding through-balls to Haaland our only means of scoring now? This new found one dimensionalism is what I find most concerning. \0/
Yeah, was a worry when we signed him that it would be hard to utilise his greatest asset due to parked busses but there were a few clear examples in those 2 games where it was on. Half wonder against utd if it was due to fear of losing the ball. Very odd though as over hit it and the worst thing that happens is the keeper gets it. Get it right and good chance he scores.

As you say the lack of creativity in general is a big worry. KDB seems the only one allowed to take risks and despite his assists his general form has been average at best

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.