Spurs (A) - Post-Match Thread

Or you need a coach who can change tactics according to the opposition. From thrashing the rags and Southampton one day to then playing a more defensive game against a possession based team by shuffling the back 6 across the park and therefore preserving energy for the second half to see out the game. He didnt even need Bale because he was so sure of his game plan. It was brilliant from Maureen and Spurs fans have every right to be cock a hoop right now.
Completely disagree with that, the gameplan he chose was an obvious one, it was classic park the bus Mourinho, nothing new at all. Neither manager had long to prepare for the game either, so everyone is overstating the Pep vs Mourinho edge to it(it's still 11-7 in Pep's favour to in that head to head). The press has done a number on our fanbase with that, how many Pep vs Mourinho articles were written towards the end of last week? And debates across social media too. I can see some fell right into their hands on that, wound them up good and proper with it.

When did the players get back from International duty, Thursday? Maybe even Friday for some players. That's 1 or 2 training sessions maximum. This was more about the players for me.

Last edited:
The problems this season haven't been the same as last season, losing Laporte had a massive impact, more than it should have done looking at how well Liverpool have managed. Leaving ourselves relying on Stones and Ota was a big mistake though, I'm not sure Klopp would have got Stones to step up or Ota to go back to the player of 2018.

This season, I think the defence has improved although left back continues to be something that good opposition can target. The attack however has gone blunt, we were still a team creating many chances per game and scored the most goals in the league by a distance. Some people say it's the supply where the current problem is, which might have some merit but for me that definitely started while Aguero and Jesus were out. While Sterling was up front with Mahrez in support we started to lose that belief that goals will come for me, we lost that inevitability and then the amount of chances we were creating started to drop too. Suddenly we went from a 3 goals per game average to a 1 goal per game average. Maybe all the players really need is one of those games where we score 5 or more to get that belief back, here's hoping anyway.

I'm starting to think the club needs to recruit some new mental coaching staff(or whatever the correct term is), the mentality doesn't seem right for a such a talented squad. When is the last time we came from behind to win a tight game?
No idea, one for the stattos but it's fucking ages ago. You just know now that if we do go behind in a game we're not going on to win it.

Every single stat is heavily in our favour (ten corners to their zero, five shots on target to their two, to mention just those!), except the crucial one, the only one that counts. Who puts the ball in the back of the net. This is not the first time this has happened. It has happened regularly over the last sixteen months. You can search around, you won't find one other club in the PL that that is true of. And I strongly doubt that you'll find it in Europe (although I'm on shakier ground there). What do we learn from that? That we have to change the way we play, at least in certain matches. Over to you, Pep. You're the man that gets paid for thinking, and you're the man who's just renewed his contract (something which I'm mightily glad about, lest there be any ambiguity). Rethink it, man, because the writing's on the wall — lesser teams than ours in terms of raw talent have got us sussed.
Apart from the most important one !!! Goals scored!!’nn

Spurs played with nine 20/30 million pound bus Parker’s and two 100 million pound strikers one of whom is very good at scoring against our rush goalie and one who proves that English players can dive every bit as well as Johnny Foreigner.
Hojberg and Jota have been the 2 signings of the summer. Do people like you still need reminding that Spurs have scored 11 more league goals than us so far (albeit having played one game more) ? Bus parkers...my arse.

Hojberg and Jota have been the 2 signings of the summer. Do people like you still need reminding that Spurs have scored 11 more league goals than us so far (albeit having played one game more) ? Bus parkers...my arse.
They did park the bus in that game though, 4 shots all game, 34% possession. Fair enough, in other games people have been harsh with that(they're a counter attacking team and they do it well), but you must have been watching another game to argue that they didn't park the bus against City.

If that Jesus goal would have been allowed, it had a draw written all over it. We'd have struggled to break through again and Spurs would have continued to wait for a City mistake/lapse in concentration, which would have been less likely with the game level.

Last edited:
Completely disagree with that, the gameplan he chose was an obvious one, it was classic park the bus Mourinho, nothing new at all. Neither manager had long to prepare for the game either, so everyone is overstating the Pep vs Mourinho edge to it(it's still 11-7 in Pep's favour to in that head to head). The press has done a number on our fanbase with that, how many Pep vs Mourinho articles were written towards the end of last week? And debates across social media too. I can some fell right into their hands on that, wound them up good and proper with it.

When did the players get back from International duty? Thursday was it? Maybe even Friday for some players. That's 1 or 2 training sessions maximum. This was more about the players for me.
Sorry we’ll have to agree to disagree. The point I’m making is he’s able to make changes according to the opposition so that takes planning and versatility. Maureen put a lot of thought into that performance. Pep on the other hand was obviously thinking let’s play like we usually do, they’ll eventually give. He even seems ok with Mahrez slowing up our attack because he didn’t hook him until it was too late and we were too knackered. I love Pep but I’m now starting to see his limitations in terms of getting the best out of these players. Maureen on the other hand is making Dier look a good player and that takes some doing.

Sorry we’ll have to agree to disagree.
Yep, that's fine. I don't think it was a Mourinho masterclass at all sorry, there was nothing new about those tactics, so they required very little thought and there was very little time to prepare for the game anyway, as I said.

That's another thing I've been thinking about, because of the congestion of fixtures and the international breaks, injuries, COVID cases etc. The amount of time Pep's had with the players this season, has been drastically reduced on last season. Pep is a very detailed manager as we know, so perhaps this is being overlooked by many of us. No doubt some will say: "Ah so he over manages the team, like Carragher said on Sly Sports" but it's not that simple. Each manager has there own way of doing things(no right or wrong way) and perhaps he's not been allowed to do it his way as much as he's wanted to, thus far. It could also be said, that the players need to look at themselves more, if there is anything to this.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.