Spurs (A) - Post-Match Thread

The reasoning cant be ruled out,except to say,if Covid is the reason......it doesn't seem to be affecting other teams to the same degree.

Id say it is given the league leaders have dropped 7 points already and last years runaway champions 7 already.

Its a farce football right now and most are going through the motions in an industry that is purely about the money, hence it still going on with teams having to play twice a week so as not too upset the tv companies and so that the PL doesn't have to pay money back.

I've not watched one single game in full this season and dont see that changing because its literally meaningless at the moment.

There has been a change to our pattern of play where Ederson is concerned.
He is getting to play the ball from his 6 yd box now because teams are pressing us higher up the pitch and making it more difficult for us to play out from deep in our half.
We should be mixing it up and using his ability to pass the ball 70 yds up the pitch from time to time, not always trying to play out.
Just my thoughts...

It's not the strikers, it's the supply.

Rodri wasn't even the issue yesterday, he was one of the better performers, but you know you are in trouble when Harry Kane is leaving you for dead and he effectively gave up the chase after him.

The goals conceded yesterday were very reminiscent of the ones against Lyon last season, people not switched on, balls over the top and into the channels, exposing Ederson stood in no-man's land.

Until we get someone who can do the hard yards and allow De Bruyne to make more considered bursts of energy, where it serves us best, in the attacking number ten space, we are still going to be banging our heads against a brick wall.

Teams have always sat in against us, nothing has changed on that score.

The only difference is that opponents are asking their forwards not to press Eddie or our backline, essentially telling them to drop into midfield and create a further block in front of our own midfield, the supply is becoming more high percentage risk passing when aimed between the lines.

Those opposing forwards are happy to drop deeper because they now have the ambition and knowledge that there will be fifty yards of space to run in behind us because we are all on top of each other.

They wouldn't do that previously when Fern was able to physically defend the transition.

Teams want us passing out wide, especially to Mahrez, who is an absolute liability every time he plays.

A shirker, someone who wants the personal glory, but doesn't have the heart or the bollocks to earn it for either himself or his team-mates, floating aimless lofted passes to the non-existent back post.

Teams are evolving and modifying because they know we have some players who are soft touches or don't want to fight for the right to play.

That's on Pep, he is a person who refuses to evolve or modify his demands to play a certain way, so buys players previously suited to a style of play which has been not so much found out, but isn't the all-conquering conundrum it once was.

This season is now officially in the 'transitional' basket.
The word “transition” is being used more and more but is it correct?

We use it sardonically in a rag context when they stumble from season to season.

It’s an action word, implying positive movement from one state to another. It’s not a euphemism for regression as our old guard disappear or decline, one by one. There were enough of those warriors around two/three years ago for Pep to propel us to glory. That’s no longer the case.

Everyone, including Pep and KDB, imply the players are fcuked and overworked. So do we effect our “transition” by continuing to flog the same tired bodies and minds every game, only to (probably) scrape top four?

Or maybe tweak tactics?

Or do we rotate more, blend some of the hungry kids in, still with a good chance of achieving top 4 but building something for the future?

Or do we wait for someone to wave a magic wand?

Genuine questions here. Not specifically for you, @BillyShears, but for anyone on the thread. I guess I’m just worried that transition means waiting around for something to happen.

Last edited:
Football shouldn't eve be being played, never mind a consideration.

This season means fuck all and nothing to the vast majority and it isn't an excuse because we are not sitting top and pretty, its just a fact.

Players and staff are humans too and my guess is most have their minds elsewhere as well.

i think it does play apart.

playing in empty stadiums, when playing away do you get the use of the away dressing rooms etc i thought i read somewhere that the away team get changed in a 'container', i might have got that wrong. But there was one away match where City came onto the pitch from the stands.

it isnt football as we know or want, the league is going to be abit of a farce, covid 19 is going to play apart some teams are going to lose 4 or 5 players to covid self isolating. Injury and suspension is fair enough shit happens but should a league be decided by teams being short of players due to a pandemic.

think football has got lucky so far but can it last a whole season without a major problem

Win the game in hand, beat spuds at home... The difference is 2 points... It's a fine line.
Bit more to it than that I'm afraid. We look shot with our pressing and creativity. I thought our season would have really got going with a win last night. Unless something changes rapido, it will be more of the same.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.