Spurs (A) - Post-Match Thread

Yep, that's fine. I don't think it was a Mourinho masterclass at all sorry, there was nothing new about those tactics, so they required very little thought and there was very little time to prepare for the game anyway, as I said.

That's another thing I've been thinking about, because of the congestion of fixtures and the international breaks, injuries, COVID cases etc. The amount of time Pep's had with the players this season has been drastically reduced on last season. Pep is a very detailed manager as we know, so perhaps this is being overlooked by many of us. No doubt some will says "Ah so he over manages the team" but it's not that simple, each manager has there own way of doing things(no right or wrong way) and perhaps he's not been allowed to do it his way, as much as he's wanted to thus far. It could also be said that the players need to look at themselves more, if there is anything to this.
So is this your reason for Shit 2nd half v Wolves, shit 2nd half v Leeds, wank all game v Leicester poor 2nd half & fortunate v Sheffield UTD then just getting over the line v Arsenal only then to accept a draw from the dippers & Saturdays performance a bag of nails but hey ho its not all about tactics??

Mourhinio played a great game & his players delivered nothing more sure

Why did Liecester fail miserably last night yet piss allover our chips & not for the 1st time?

City have become easy pickings & if we don't take our chances we are there for the taking everytime imo

Pep has to change his ways or we talk about the same things over & over like we have the last 18 months & not just the start of this season.

Kun's replacement ?

Id love Kane at City but can’t see it. Would cost too much. He seems fairly happy at Spurs but then again he was probably a boyhood Rag fan who came through their academy and the number of pens they get must be appealing to him.
They did park the bus in that game though, 4 shots all game, 34% possession. Fair enough, in other games people have been harsh with that(they're a counter attacking team and they do it well), but you must have been watching another game to argue that they didn't park the bus against City.

If that Jesus goal would have been allowed, it had a draw written all over it. We'd have struggled to break through again and Spurs would have continued to wait for a City mistake/lapse in concentration, which would have been less likely with the game level.

They did park the bus but that’s all they had to do after going 1-0 up after 5 mins. A win is a win. Doesn’t matter how you get it in the big games.

The key miss for me was De Bruyne slamming the ball into Jesus on the floor! Could he not see him?

So is this your reason for Shit 2nd half v Wolves, shit 2nd half v Leeds, wank all game v Leicester poor 2nd half & fortunate v Sheffield UTD then just getting over the line v Arsenal only then to accept a draw from the dippers & Saturdays performance a bag of nails but hey ho its not all about tactics??

Mourhinio played a great game & his players delivered nothing more sure

Why did Liecester fail miserably last night yet piss allover our chips & not for the 1st time?

City have become easy pickings & if we don't take our chances we are there for the taking everytime imo

Pep has to change his ways or we talk about the same things over & over like we have the last 18 months & not just the start of this season.
You haven't given me a full argument, you've just stated a list of results and said it's all about the tactics pretty much.

"Shit 2nd half.... shit second half" repeated quite a lot I notice. That couldn't have anything to do with match fitness and fatigue, with the system we play could it? But "Hey ho, it's all tactics and Pep's shit"... How insightful.

As for including the Wolves and Arsenal games to prove your point, talk about grasping at straws. They don't even fit the narrative, we won those games, against tough opposition. We were 2-0 up against Wolves until near enough the 80th minute mark, there was very much a sense of saving their legs in that game as I remember it, from many blues after the game. If anything, Pep did changed his tactics in the Arsenal game and completely nullified Aubameyang, who gave City all sorts of problems in that last game we played Arsenal. So clearly, when he does change it and even gets a result, some still aren't happy. How can Pep ever win with that attitude?

We did enough against Sheffield, not great but nothing to moan about if we get the 3 points, especially if your argument is that Pep isn't pragmatic enough. As for drawing with Liverpool, there is no tougher fixture, a win would have been nice and if not for the missed penalty, we probably would have done but it wasn't to be. All that while our attack still hasn't found it's rhythm yet, while Liverpool's is flying. It sounds a bit like you'd have been happier if we lost that game, just to say you're opinion is right.

There's too much overreaction and oversimplification going around. It's going to be interesting coming back to all of this at the end of the season. All I'm saying, is this season can be turned around once we hit a run of form, things will hopefully look much different. The defence has improved, the attack needs to get back to where it was, as does the midfield. The Pep is shit brigade are saying they are dead certain things will not change from what I can see, unless he starts playing park the bus football every game or some such. It's like some are somehow bored with Pep football outright, which I cannot get on board with. No amount of pissyness is going to change that.

Last edited:
They did park the bus but that’s all they had to do after going 1-0 up after 5 mins. A win is a win. Doesn’t matter how you get it in the big games.
Yep, that played right into Mourinho's hands, I really don't think Spurs were winning that game if it went level was my point though. It wasn't just that they didn't have to attack, it just didn't look like they had it in them to break through. The only way they were scoring, was how they did pretty much, waiting for a mistake.

As for the KDB miss, I can't seem to remember that one, not sure I want to add anything else to be annoyed about from that game though.

Last edited:
You haven't given me a full argument, you've just stated a list of results and said it's all about the tactics pretty much.

"Shit 2nd half.... shit second half" repeated quite a lot I notice. That couldn't have anything to do with match fitness and fatigue, with the system we play could it? But "Hey ho, it's all tactics and Pep's shit"... How insightful.

As for including the Wolves and Arsenal games to prove your point, talk about grasping at straws. They don't even fit the narrative, we won those games, against tough opposition. We were 2-0 up against Wolves until near enough the 80th minute mark, there was very much a sense of saving their legs in that game, from many blues after the game. If anything, Pep did changed his tactics in the Arsenal game and completely nullified Aubameyang who gave City all sorts of problems in that last game we played. So clearly, when he does change it and even gets a result, some still aren't happy. How can Pep ever win with that attitude?

We did enough against Sheffield, not great but nothing to moan about if we get the 3 points, especially if your argument is that Pep isn't pragmatic enough. As for drawing with Liverpool, there is no tougher fixture, a win would have been nice and if not for the missed penalty, we probably would have done but it wasn't to be. It sounds a bit like you'd have been happier if we lost that game just to say you're opinion is right.

There's too much overreaction and oversimplification going around. It's going to be interesting coming back to all of this at the end of the season. All I'm saying, is this season can be turned around once we hit a run of form and things will look much different. The defence has improved, the attack needs to get back to where it was, as does the midfield. The Pep is shit brigade are saying they are dead certain things will not change from what I can see, unless he starts playing park the bus football every game or some such, which I cannot get on board with. No amount of pissyness is going to change that.
All Premier League managers, not just Pep, have less this season preparing their squad. Hence the oddball results.
My concern this season, is that we no longer look fitter than the opposition, which was a major part of Pep's tactics.
I cannot remember many times we have used all 3 subs ? Also, the majority of our substitutions are late in the game as in the 70th minute vs Spurs.
Squad rotation is crucial to us regaining our fitness edge. If we draw on Wednesday we are through to the knock out stages of the Champs League. Surely then, Pep will then give KDB etc. a rest ?
Oh, last gripe is starting our wide players on their correct wing. If it's not working, then swap wings. Even I know what Mahrez is currently going to do next...

Hojberg and Jota have been the 2 signings of the summer. Do people like you still need reminding that Spurs have scored 11 more league goals than us so far (albeit having played one game more) ? Bus parkers...my arse.
Even Stevie Wonder could see they parked the Bus big time.

All Premier League managers, not just Pep, have less this season preparing their squad. Hence the oddball results.
My concern this season, is that we no longer look fitter than the opposition, which was a major part of Pep's tactics.
I cannot remember many times we have used all 3 subs ? Also, the majority of our substitutions are late in the game as in the 70th minute vs Spurs.
Squad rotation is crucial to us regaining our fitness edge. If we draw on Wednesday we are through to the knock out stages of the Champs League. Surely then, Pep will then give KDB etc. a rest ?
Oh, last gripe is starting our wide players on their correct wing. If it's not working, then swap wings. Even I know what Mahrez is currently going to do next...
Yep I agree with most of that, all PL managers have had less time but some have had more than others and some managers are far more detailed with their instructions than others was my point. In other words maybe it's affecting our team more than others because of how conditioned the players have become, to Pep giving them loads of instructions before every game. There's been less time for 1on1 sessions too, along with no Arteta who was big help to Pep on that from what I gather.

No offence to OGS, Dyke and Dean Smith but I don't think they are as intense with their instructions for players, those are the only mangers who had close to the same start to the season. Burnley and Villa must have had more of a pre-season though, since they finished their season at the same time as everyone else who were not in Europe. That just leaves United, who got smashed by Spurs and and lost to Arsenal. I think Pep has said how many extra weeks other teams have had over City, in one of his "it is what it is" comments. I'm not saying it's the only reason for the start we had either, it's just one of many factors being overlooked.

There are some valid criticisms of Pep, some of his team selections, his substitutions and his stubbornness not to admit he needs to switch things up(such as a formation change during a game), are things that frustrate me too. It's clearly not as simple as some are making out though. Lets just hope Pep starts getting the most out of the time he has with them better, now that the international disruptions are done with for a while.

Last edited:
Yep I agree with most of that, all PL managers have had less time but some have had more than others and some managers are far more detailed with their instructions than others was my point. In other words maybe it's affecting our team more than others because of how conditioned the players have become, to Pep giving them loads of instructions before every game. There's been less time for 1on1 sessions too, along with no Arteta who was big help to Pep on that from what I gather.

No offence to OGS, Dyke and Dean Smith but I don't think they are as intense with their instructions for players, those are the only mangers who had close to the same start to the season. Burnley and Villa must have had more of a pre-season though, since they finished their season at the same time as everyone else who were not in Europe. That just leaves United, who got smashed by Spurs and and lost to Arsenal. I think Pep has said how many extra weeks other teams have had over City, in one of his "it is what it is" comments. I'm not saying it's the only reason for the start we had either, it's just one of many factors being overlooked.

There are some valid criticisms of Pep, some of his team selections, his substitutions and his stubbornness not to admit he needs to switch things up(such as a formation change during a game), are things that frustrate me too. It's clearly not as simple as some are making out though. Lets just hope Pep starts getting the most out of the time he has with them better, now that the international disruptions are done with for a while.
The simple fact is we are playing poorly at present and if we don't improve we will have to win the Chumps League to be in the comp next season.

You can make excuses , reasons all you like but in the end it doesn't matter and if Pep can't get this squad up for the fight each match and get the results the owners expect and demand he is cactus simple as.

Out football is boring this season , we have deteriorated markedly in the past 18 months and the results and performances show that beyond dispute.

We perhaps with the exception of the bottom 3 sides the easiest side to read and play against.

Every side believes they can beat us Burnley will be no exception now they have a win on board.

New players take time to fit in well some of them do but top class players hit the ground running from the outset.

Our midfield is very average and playing that way , defensively we haven't improved much and we don't score at the rate required anymore and are creating far fewer clear cut chances than last season each game.

This is as poor as we were in MP's last season if not worse and unless we get on our bike and start to take the initiative in games again it will be our worst season since Mark Hughes was in charge only for RM to come in and turn our fortunes around somewhat in the latter half of the season to narrowly miss out on Chumps League football.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.