Spurs (H) - Post-Match Thread

Pep's philosophy is: 'if we have the ball then they can't score'. Far too many misplaced passes in midfield and far too many hopeful high crosses into the box for our 5'2" forwards to get on the end of effectively negated that philosophy.

I don't think that Spurs played as brilliantly as some in the media made out but, then again, I don't think we've played as brilliantly as some in the media have made out over the last few games.

Title is still in our hands and we move on.

I'm certainly more concerned now, I liked the big gap, felt comfortable to be way ahead of those scouse twats.
They now have more motivation to keep winning.

Pretty shocking we lost at home to a team that've lost their last four games and their motivation.
Yes but that's natural (to be more concerned). They still have to win their game in hand, beat us, and at least match us for the rest of the season, including the goal difference, and they'd still only be level. Anything can happen yet, I don't think either team will go through the rest of the season unbeaten.

I don't have a problem with yesterday, nobody will ever win every single game snd teams are always more motivated against the top sides. The way we play will alway leave us open to the counter attack. On another day we might have had 4 or 5, Kane's accuracy would have been off and we'd have won comfortably without doing anything different. It's the way it goes.

Only thing pisses me off is they seem to be a bit of a nemesis, annoying when teams can't be arsed every week then play against City like their lives depended on it.

I don't think that Spurs played as brilliantly as some in the media made out but, then again, I don't think we've played as brilliantly as some in the media have made out over the last few games.
I completely agree about Spuds performance.
Kane and Son's performance was brilliant and the sole reason why they took anything from that game. We gave the ball away too much.

There are two teams in every game we play and very occasionally the other one will win through their performance, our lack of performance or a combination of both.

Yes, we roasted them in the first half but didn't score then. We came back brilliantly in the second half after Salah's goal etc but we must take our chances or like Spurs, they'll score on the break. They've just added a letal-looking guy to their front 3. Potentially 4 goalscorers while we are relying on goals from midfielders and wide men. I'll take a point right now which might be enough to edge the title.
Agreed, but I still see us picking up more points than they do in the remaining games. Dunno why we get so nervous, most teams would be pretty happy with a 6 point lead at this stage of the season.

Odd how it seems less nerve wracking when we're actually chasing the lead, but we've been there enough times now to know what's needed and this defeat might just be a reminder that we need to step up a gear.

I completely agree about Spuds performance.
Kane and Son's performance was brilliant and the sole reason why they took anything from that game. We gave the ball away too much.

There are two teams in every game we play and very occasionally the other one will win through their performance, our lack of performance or a combination of both.
Exactly. Nobody can say overall that we didn't deserve to win that game, I've never been a advocate of the team with "heroic defending" is the team that deserves to win when you've had 5x more attempts than they have. They got lucky.

Pep's philosophy is: 'if we have the ball then they can't score'. Far too many misplaced passes in midfield and far too many hopeful high crosses into the box for our 5'2" forwards to get on the end of effectively negated that philosophy.

Title is still in our hands and we move on.
If you want to maintain possession you need to start Zinchenko.

Agreed, but I still see us picking up more points than they do in the remaining games. Dunno why we get so nervous, most teams would be pretty happy with a 6 point lead at this stage of the season.

Odd how it seems less nerve wracking when we're actually chasing the lead, but we've been there enough times now to know what's needed and this defeat might just be a reminder that we need to step up a gear.
They'll come at us, playing their own game, thus allowing us to play - and beat them again, provided we can defend a lot better than against Spurs.
As to Spurs, many think they weren't brilliant but, imho, they played their game brilliantly and we were below par, allowing our defence to be exposed and who, like the rest of the team, were below par. A bad day for us all round, but, never mind, hey? We'll get back on track and should still win the league.
A new aspect of "Typical City" - pausing for breath to let the others catch up.

I think the problems were 2fold; we created very few decent chances despite all the possession, and we kept succumbing to the same sucker punches. Very naive, and hopefully a one-off for the season
As much as I hate them, I have to give credit where it's due and say well played spurs, you *****!
That's a pretty fair summary in my book.

Our best performances this season have been when Bernardo plays with Gundogan in midfield. I know it's bizarre as KDB is probably our best player but sometimes we don't retain the ball as well. Dias was definitely worse that Laporte yesterday but I'd be putting Dias and Stones together at Everton next week.

My main gripe from Saturday though was the fact that Delap never got onto the pitch. I don't know if he is good enough for City, but we just kept crossing into the box to small forwards. I found that bizarre.

They dragged us out of position and exploited it. Exactly like we feared they might. We didn’t control the game and gave the ball away continuously.

We’ll learn from this and move on. Still would rather be in our position than anyone else’s.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.