Spurs H Post Match

Phew! Back home and about to have a celebratory beer or two in the back garden. Tough watching that last 15 minutes or so but in the context of the last few days, that’s a brilliant win and three more points. I couldn’t be more proud of this set of players, even though they've done bad things to my cardiovascular system recently. Bernado magnificent, Eddy very
steady; so chuffed for Foden and glad to see some other good, gritty performances out there which saw us through in the end. The sky is blue, the City is blue! We go again on Wednesday, Blues!

I thought this was a very difficult game indeed. What happened in stoppage time on Wednesday meant that City had to pick themselves up off the basement floor: Spurs had to get down off the ceiling - just to be capable of coping with anything like the psychological demands of top level football. Added to the extreme physical demands of such a game it meant the same players couldn't take the field again. Pochettino had seen that something had to be done to try and stop Raz and Bernado out wide and his answer was a back three and two wing backs (who tended to stay deep) instead of Wednesday's diamond: Pep went for Stones's greater pace, brought Phil in and Zinchenko for Mendy. In general terms these tweaks worked - Spurs were not destroyed down the flanks and City's energy levels were still high on such a hot day. Spurs tended to play direct balls to their front men rather than take on our midfield. After the first half hour I thought Eriksen was a declining threat though the pace of Son and Lucas Moura threatened problems from any ball played forward. I do not agree that Laporte and Stones were poor. City play a high line and Son and Lucas running at them from 50 yards out or chasing a ball over the top is always going to be a nightmare, but our two always made it difficult, defended very well at times and were helped out by Eddie (who had a great game) when necessary. I had a thoroughly nerve wrecking time watching but I think that was more due to Gary Neville's insistence, often repeated, that "City can't go on like this", "I can see Spurs getting something out of this" and "There's something in this for Spurs". Fernandino also did more than his bit. And that was what was what was so impressive about City today - how exhausted limbs dragged themselves to make yet another supreme effort - with special mention for Sergio, Raz, Bernardo and indeed all those on the field - and their absolute determination to come away with no fewer than three points. Gut wrenching to see KdB down again and we're all praying it's nowhere near as serious as he seemed to think. And, of course, impossible not to mention Phil Foden. The winning goal in a match of such importance ... And how any City fans can spout rubbish such as he didn't do much apart from the goal!! He scored a goal potentially of incalculable importance! The goal that may have secured two points, two vital points! Enough for me for one afternoon.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.