Spurs thread 2020/21

Worker’s Playtime...now that takes me back. Also, didn’t the character of George Dixon first appear in a film called the Blue Lamp?
Yes. The only copper to be killed in the first few minutes of a film, Then have a long career as a PC, then sergeant, in a spin off TV series. All in glorious black and white.
Miraculous.

Those two take me back a long way! I knew the names from when I was a young lad, and wiki has just refreshed my memory. My mum had Workers Playtime on every day on the crystal set we had, and she was in the audience a couple of times when the show was broadcast from the cigarette factory she worked at.
I don't remember much about their act, as it was over 60 years ago. Neither did I know they were sisters to Jack Warner, aka George Dixon of Dock Green fame.
Evening all!
I too looked at Wiki earlier, and I read that DoDG ran for 21 years; from 1955-76.

There's no way a TV programme would last as long as that nowadays.

Was the cigarette factory in Trafford Park? Mrs Vienna said there used to be one in there.

I too looked at Wiki earlier, and I read that DoDG ran for 21 years; from 1955-76.

There's no way a TV programme would last as long as that nowadays.

Was the cigarette factory in Trafford Park? Mrs Vienna said there used to be one in there.
No, in Ashton, J A Pattreiouex. Before she got married, she lived literally next door to the factory, so was never late! A new sister factory, Senior Service, was built in Hyde, and there is a family connection there, as the husbands of 2 of her sisters worked there. One was the Chief Draughtsman who designed the factory, and the other was the head mechanic.
The latter has a tenuous connection to the thread, as he was born in Tottenham and supported them.
Both factories are long gone.

bale is a pipe and slippers player now ? made his money and lost the fight of getting up in the morning and training with a that little bit of pain ? its called the danny mills syndrome ? £600.000 a week is a heavy you know

I personally think that your problem is the manager, he seems hell bent on getting everbody’s backs up wherever he goes. Good to read your posts on here and glad the more vociferous board members have not dampened your ardour. Back in the early 70’s I spent a week in Tottenham with a friend staying at his uncles house. We went to matches all over London and also spent a good deal of time in the local boozer which was full of leg pulling Spurs fans, happy memories.

P.S. Just remembered the next door neighbours were two women who I seem to recall were Jack Warner’s sisters (Dixon of Dock Green), they were massive Spurs fans.

P.P.S. Looked up the two ladies in question they lived in Goring Road and were a comedy double act called “Gert and Daisy”, lovely people. I suspect you know all about them.

Great stuff! But I have to confess that I knew nothing of Gert & Daisy until your mention of them, either as an act or in a Spurs context.

Worker’s Playtime...now that takes me back. Also, didn’t the character of George Dixon first appear in a film called the Blue Lamp?
Oh yes I remember the Blue Lamp. I think Dixon of Dock Green might have been a spin off from it. Wow, other memories are coming back to me, any one remember PC 49 or other radio progs... like Dick Barton with Jock and Snowy....or Paul Temple.

Oh yes I remember the Blue Lamp. I think Dixon of Dock Green might have been a spin off from it. Wow, other memories are coming back to me, any one remember PC 49 or other radio progs... like Dick Barton with Jock and Snowy....or Paul Temple.
I just about remember Paul Temple. Francis Matthews was the title character.

Just looking at Spurs squad now with the new additions coming in...

Hugo Lloris
Joe Hart
Paulo Gazzaniga

Matt Doherty
Sergio Reguilon
Ben Davies
Toby Alderweireld
Davinson Sanchez
Eric Dier
Japhet Tanganga
Serge Aurier
Juan Foyth

Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg
Harry Winks
Dele Alli
Giovani Lo Celso
Tanguy N'Dombele
Moussa Sissoko
Gedson Fernandes
Dele Alli
Eric Lamela

Ryan Sessegnon
Lucas Moura
Steven Bergwijn
Son Heung Min
Gareth Bale

Harry Kane

You look at that squad and that is a VERY talented group of players. If you could get certain players motivated, they will be a handful for anybody in the league. Look at their first starting 11 and subs...

Lloris

Doherty
Reguilon
Sanchez
Alderweireld

Winks
N'Dombele
Lo Celso

Son Heung Min
Gareth Bale
Harry Kane

Subs: Hart, Davies, Dier, Alli, Sissoko, Alli, Lucas Moura

Can't even fit Bergwijn and Hojbjerg on the bench!

If you can get Lo Celso on top form and N'Dombele motivated, they will be some side. That attack on paper is fantastic and the two full backs are a HUGE improvement on what they had. You could mix it up and bench Winks for someone a bit more physical like Sissoko or Hojbjerg and also try and motivate Dele Alli and bring him in for Lo Celso if needed.

They have quite a few options now. The two negatives about Spurs, Alderweireld is ageing and they probably need more cover at CB and Jose Mourinho is their manager. If Poch was in charge of this team, it would start going places.

The top 6-8 teams in the league are going to be very, very tough games for City. Spurs improving, Chelsea improving, Man Utd improving, Liverpool improving, Arsenal improving and Wolves will be as tough as usual. Some real tough games ahead for us, for sure.

Gonna take Bale a while to regain form after a couple of years on the golf course. But judging by the fitness displayed by Tottenham at the weekend it seems they’ll be starting from a similar level.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.