Spurs Thread - 2021/22

I am very aware that debt is not always a bad thing but the level of your debt is, shall we say, rather unhealthy. Could I ask you, are you comfortable with the level of Tottenham's debt?
Brought over from the Harry Kane thread in the Transfers section.

Yes, in short, I am comfortable with the level of Spurs’ debt. Would I rather we were debt free? In an ideal world, of course. But, in reality, it would mean that we would still be in a small stadium that wasn’t fit for purpose and that our revenues, in normal times, would be £100m per annum lower. It would also mean that COVID hadn’t happened. Alas, we can’t wish it away.

Had our debt been incurred by gambling on players and wages, I would be deeply concerned. But it has instead paid for a world class capital asset that is already proven to be a cash cow. As a consequence, Spurs’ net assets far exceed net debts.

Of course, COVID has had a deeply damaging effect on every club’s finances. As a consequence, Spurs have recently raised a further £250m of debt. It’s not debt that has bought anything. There’s no asset to show for it. But there was no getting away from it either. And every other club will be experiencing similar issues. In that respect, Spurs will be better off than most. Not many clubs are sufficiently trusted by financial institutions to borrow such amounts on favourable terms.

All the debt - stadium and COVID - is long term and low interest. The total interest payable per annum is less than £25m - so, easily serviceable. And that is key. Because cash flow is key. Cash flow crises are why football clubs generally get into trouble. And Spurs have no such worries because of the long term debt at low interest rates.

Bryan Gil signing confirmed on BBC, Lamela going to Seville as part of deal.

I have no idea what to make of Tottenham for this upcoming season, much like Arsenal.

Brought over from the Harry Kane thread in the Transfers section.

Yes, in short, I am comfortable with the level of Spurs’ debt. Would I rather we were debt free? In an ideal world, of course. But, in reality, it would mean that we would still be in a small stadium that wasn’t fit for purpose and that our revenues, in normal times, would be £100m per annum lower. It would also mean that COVID hadn’t happened. Alas, we can’t wish it away.

Had our debt been incurred by gambling on players and wages, I would be deeply concerned. But it has instead paid for a world class capital asset that is already proven to be a cash cow. As a consequence, Spurs’ net assets far exceed net debts.

Of course, COVID has had a deeply damaging effect on every club’s finances. As a consequence, Spurs have recently raised a further £250m of debt. It’s not debt that has bought anything. There’s no asset to show for it. But there was no getting away from it either. And every other club will be experiencing similar issues. In that respect, Spurs will be better off than most. Not many clubs are sufficiently trusted by financial institutions to borrow such amounts on favourable terms.

All the debt - stadium and COVID - is long term and low interest. The total interest payable per annum is less than £25m - so, easily serviceable. And that is key. Because cash flow is key. Cash flow crises are why football clubs generally get into trouble. And Spurs have no such worries because of the long term debt at low interest rates.
True. Cash flow is the important figure. However, if you do not invest in the most important asset, i.e. players then European football is not always guaranteed and income suffers accordingly. Selling Kane allows you to do this, as long as you don't buy the level of dross that followed the Bale windfall. Quite often when the main player is sold the rest pull their socks up so to speak. City had this with Georgi Kinkladze.

Was Paulinho one of them?

Apparently, a better acquisition than Dinho.
Yes, Paulinho was one of them. I think he played better after he left the spuds.
This youngster that they have swapped Lamela with, Bryan Gil made 14 appearances for Sevilla, all as substitute. Not what I would call improving the team.
Long season ahead for Spurs unless they beat us first game of the season then they'll be one of the Champions elect.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.