Squad Numbers - 2020/21

The great Colin Bell wore number 8 mate!
City were always idiosyncratic with numbers. Mike Summerbee did two or three seasons wearing number nine including the title winning 1967-68 side. Francis Lee started with a number seven shirt.

I can even recall George Heslop wearing number eleven.

Strange picture choice on the official site with the shirt number story, showing Ake...

web-ake.png

Nathan Ake has opted to take the number 6 shirt, which is famously associated with Alan Oakes but has been vacant since Fernando departed in 2017.

Ake said: “I am delighted to have been given the number six. It has a rich tradition in football, with some of the finest defenders who have played the game wearing the number.

“I can’t wait to get started. I am very excited for the new season and I am looking forward to pulling on my City shirt for the first time.”

I can't think of a dafter thing for a new signing, than to give him the number of a just-departed club legend.

Just setting yourself up for unfavourable comparisons, surely ?

I feel everyone should give 21 a miss for a couple of years ?
I fully agree.

I think young Ferran might be making a rod for his own back.

I know Merlin was his hero, but he will be loading all sorts of expectations on his shoulders.

I hope I’m wrong, and Torres does brilliantly, but I can’t help feelin it’s a mistake on his part.

However, I’m pleased that Aké has taken No. 6. It’s about time we had a six again.

Six isn’t the number we old-timers associate Colin Bell with, though, is it?
One season out of 13 or 14 is hardly the making of legendary status. Alan Oakes and No. 6 on the other hand...

I was nowhere near born when Colin Bell retired, in my defence :)

I fully agree.

I think young Ferran might be making a rod for his own back.

I know Merlin was his hero, but he will be loading all sorts of expectations on his shoulders.

I hope I’m wrong, and Torres does brilliantly, but I can’t help feelin it’s a mistake on his part.

However, I’m pleased that Aké has taken No. 6. It’s about time we had a six again.

numbers mean nothing

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.