SSN We've not won at OT since '86

Gary James said:
DontLookBackInAnger said:
so Docherty actually took them down, interesting...

It was Doc's appointment in dec 1972 that ultimately led to utd's big hero Denis Law wanting to move on. Law moved to City and we all know what happened in April 74. I wonder if Tevez knows this story?
Sadly Tevez though doesn't score with backheels!

We should remember that win/lose stats are just stats. They are no indication to what follows. SSN could have said an alternative stat - Manchester City have never lost a semi-final against utd.

In 1926 City beat utd 3-0 in the FA Cup semi

1969-70 the score was 2-1 and 2-2.

In 2009-10 the score was 2-1.

Gary James said:
We should remember that win/lose stats are just stats. They are no indication to what follows. SSN could have said an alternative stat - Manchester City have never lost a semi-final against utd.

In 1926 City beat utd 3-0 in the FA Cup semi

1969-70 the score was 2-1 and 2-2.

In 2009-10 the score was 2-1.
Yes the thing that we have only won once since 86......I'm willing to bet that this is the strongest City side in that time and the rags are as weak as they have been in that time(other than perhaps early on while he was manager in 80s). The bottomline being that most often than not a good team with beat a weaker team and the stats at their place prove over the last 20 years(30 years!)they have been the better side, but its meaningless going forward.

Yes the thing that we have only won once since 86......I'm willing to bet that this is the strongest City side in that time and the rags are as weak as they have been in that time(other than perhaps early on while he was manager in 80s). The bottomline being that most often than not a good team with beat a weaker team and the stats at their place prove over the last 20 years(30 years!)they have been the better side, but its meaningless going forward.

Spot on. Some of our teams have come close to winning over the years but getting a draw was often a big achievement because of the vast difference in the squads.

I always find it funny when the media say things like: "Burnley have only beaten Utd once in the last 40 years" - well how many times have they been in the same division? It means nothing. It's the quality on the day that matters. We could say our manager is undefeated in the derby.

I do think the size of our support at ot will help the situation enormously tonight.

Gary James said:

Spot on. Some of our teams have come close to winning over the years but getting a draw was often a big achievement because of the vast difference in the squads.

I always find it funny when the media say things like: "Burnley have only beaten Utd once in the last 40 years" - well how many times have they been in the same division? It means nothing. It's the quality on the day that matters. We could say our manager is undefeated in the derby.

I do think the size of our support at ot will help the situation enormously tonight.
I remeber coming back from Portsmouth one year(the season we came up with Machin I think)and they said on the radio something like we had only lost there once since the mid-50s! but when you worked it out we had only played them a handful of times in the 30 years.

I remeber coming back from Portsmouth one year(the season we came up with Machin I think)and they said on the radio something like we had only lost there once since the mid-50s! but when you worked it out we had only played them a handful of times in the 30 years.

In 2003-04 before the first derby of that season, I was interviewed about the derby because I'd written "The Pride Of Manchester" (the story of the Manchester derby) and I said "Don't forget City have only lost once to United since 1996 - 7 years!" The interviewer was stunned because his piece was supposed to be about City being the weaker, unsuccessful side.

The fact was that City had only played United in 4 games between May 96 and Dec 2003 and had won only once, but it shows how stats can be used and abused.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.