St Louis review

Why Always Ste said:
Where did I say I was offended?

I was not offended by him or anyone using this term, that's their choice to do so, which is why I posed a question with regards to how he and other Americans felt when using this word.

I don't use the term "soccer" and will continue to use the term Football when referring to Association Football.

I do find it quite daft how they have named the new club NYC FC however, when most Americans use the term Soccer... shouldn't they of called the team NYC S.C ?

Just a thought...

In part, MLS has encouraged its clubs to embrace old NASL (which had a major, if short, global impact) team names and to try to stylize their brand in alignment with the global game, in order to encourage and promote these international working relationships.

can I ask a ?, why in American sports games, do they always put the away team name first eg, miami dolphins @ new York giants.

samharris said:
gymshoe said:
I attended the match in St Louis last night. City supporters were outnumbered by Chelsea at least 10-1, and probably much greater. That was at the start of the evening, anyway. The attendance set a Busch Stadium record for a sporting event, and at the end of the evening, City earned a whole new crowd of support, or at least respect. The talent on display was immense. Even though it was a friendly, the intensity exhibited by both teams was truly appreciated by the fans, and throughout my section, all soccer fans--City, Chelsea, and Neutral--were commenting on the City run of play. I am certain a whole new generation of support for City was initiated last night.

The only downside was my inflatable banana was banned ;^) All in all, a top drawer evening.

I hope the banana didnt feel too let down. ;)

It was left deflated

gymshoe said:
I attended the match in St Louis last night. City supporters were outnumbered by Chelsea at least 10-1, and probably much greater. That was at the start of the evening, anyway. The attendance set a Busch Stadium record for a sporting event, and at the end of the evening, City earned a whole new crowd of support, or at least respect. The talent on display was immense. Even though it was a friendly, the intensity exhibited by both teams was truly appreciated by the fans, and throughout my section, all soccer fans--City, Chelsea, and Neutral--were commenting on the City run of play. I am certain a whole new generation of support for City was initiated last night.

The only downside was my inflatable banana was banned ;^) All in all, a top drawer evening.
thanks for the post, yeah watched it last night was a great match

gymshoe said:

Thanks for the feedback gymshoe - great to hear that the tour is making everyone aware of our great club. I could see by the TV pictures that we were out numbered by the chelsea fans but the main point is that we played well and actually turned the game round and won it - that is what was needed as everyone loves a winner in the USA : )

Why Always Ste said:

I was not offended by him or anyone using this term, that's their choice to do so, which is why I posed a question with regards to how he and other Americans felt when using this word.

I don't use the term "soccer" and will continue to use the term Football when referring to Association Football.

I do find it quite daft how they have named the new club NYC FC however, when most Americans use the term Soccer... shouldn't they of called the team NYC S.C ?

Just a thought...

Believe it or not, your sentiment is shared here in the States vis a vis the term "FC" Alexi Lalas (I believe it was him) said the same thing on the radio a couple days ago. I would take the issue a step further with a Club like Real Salt Lake. My question would be "just who is this American king that dubbed Salt Lake as his football team? With that said, I look forward to supporting NYC FC, and prefer that name to any other. In the end, to me, its all City, and I look forward to singing American "City" songs, knowing that we're trying to be #together!

But I digress. I didn't mean to say "offend" as an aggressive perjorative. I guess meaning is lost when trying to convert English language to Americanisms... But y'all did invent the language, after all. Much respect to Ste. For the record, I prefer the term Football as well. I do my best to say pitch instead of field, say half nine rather than nine thirty, and incorporate the term dispossessed instead of fumble whenever I can when watching throwball--it sounds so much more damning to me, even though Americans wonder just what the fuck I am talking about. No worries here.

bluestevei said:
can I ask a ?, why in American sports games, do they always put the away team name first eg, miami dolphins @ new York giants.

I think it stems from baseball, traditionally. Since the home team always has the last at-bat (and therefore if winning at the end of 8.5 innings, no at-bat necessary), the away team has always been listed on top of the box score:

pg2_csi0928_576.jpg

As score ticker services came into play, that tradition continued. A buddy calls in-game updates in for a local major Division I college basketball team and the protocol is to state in the following order:

road team (score) OVER home team (score)

gymshoe said:
Why Always Ste said:

Just a thought...

Believe it or not, your sentiment is shared here in the States vis a vis the term "FC" Alexi Lalas (I believe it was him) said the same thing on the radio a couple days ago. I would take the issue a step further with a Club like Real Salt Lake. My question would be "just who is this American king that dubbed Salt Lake as his football team? With that said, I look forward to supporting NYC FC, and prefer that name to any other. In the end, to me, its all City, and I look forward to singing American "City" songs, knowing that we're trying to be #together!

But I digress. I didn't mean to say "offend" as an aggressive perjorative. I guess meaning is lost when trying to convert English language to Americanisms... But y'all did invent the language, after all. Much respect to Ste. For the record, I prefer the term Football as well. I do my best to say pitch instead of field, say half nine rather than nine thirty, and incorporate the term dispossessed instead of fumble whenever I can when watching throwball--it sounds so much more damning to me, even though Americans wonder just what the fuck I am talking about. No worries here.

Haha, quality post.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.