St Louis review

10robinho10 said:
Are all American commentators as annoying as the one from last night?
i liked him! he was better than most english ones, surely you didnt watch the whole match

Aguero_Element said:
10robinho10 said:
i liked him! he was better than most english ones, surely you didnt watch the whole match

It is impossible to enjoy a match with Gus Johnson commentating. But on our ESPN footie coverage, we are blessed with Ian Darke and Steve McManaman, and they are quality. Warren Barton, Eric Wynelda, and Brian McBride regularly do our studio show, and they're okay, but my favorite with an American accent has to be Phil Schoen, and his partner Geordie Ray Hudson has me routinely in stitches with his metaphor and Messi worship.

gymshoe said:
Aguero_Element said:
10robinho10 said:

It is impossible to enjoy a match with Gus Johnson commentating. But on our ESPN footie coverage, we are blessed with Ian Darke and Steve McManaman, and they are quality. Warren Barton, Eric Wynelda, and Brian McBride regularly do our studio show, and they're okay, but my favorite with an American accent has to be Phil Schoen, and his partner Geordie Ray Hudson has me routinely in stitches with his metaphor and Messi worship.

I was disappointed they went with Gus Johnson, figured with the Sky-Fox relationship we might see Martin Tyler, who Americans will be familiar with because of the FIFA games, too.

But Johnson is a long-term project for Fox, for post-2014.

But with the Premier League moving to NBC next year, who knows what will happen.

But Darke and Macca were great.

Aguero_Element said:
10robinho10 said:
I only watched the first half but he was annoying, always using little cliches...

Why Always Ste said:
Where did I say I was offended?

I was not offended by him or anyone using this term, that's their choice to do so, which is why I posed a question with regards to how he and other Americans felt when using this word.

I don't use the term "soccer" and will continue to use the term Football when referring to Association Football.

I do find it quite daft how they have named the new club NYC FC however, when most Americans use the term Soccer... shouldn't they of called the team NYC S.C ?

Just a thought...
The key is most of us over here are smart enough to catch on to the idea that it's known as different things in different places. Did you know in some places it's even spelled futbol? Imagine that. ;)

Irregardless of the "Soccer vs Football Debate of 2013" I had an excellent time last night.

And it was easily 10-1 Chelsea fans. Perhaps the neutral fans jumped on the City bandwagon for the comeback but even then it would have been 7-1. I counted. :)

Why Always Ste said:
Just a question for Gymshoe (as he used the term Soccer)

Do Yourself or Americans you know not feel embarrassed that the vast majority of humans on this planet refer to the sport City play as Football, whereas Americans tend to use the term football when referring to something else (NFL) ?

When I've spoken about the sport over in USA I've always used the word Football, and always will do.

Soccer can go fuck itself :)

I am Irish and prefer to football as soccer to defrentiate it dfrom football as in gaelic football. Someone in Australia probably can't always call it football because they have their own football.

Who gives a crap? Get over it ;-)

gymshoe said:
I attended the match in St Louis last night. City supporters were outnumbered by Chelsea at least 10-1, and probably much greater. That was at the start of the evening, anyway. The attendance set a Busch Stadium record for a sporting event, and at the end of the evening, City earned a whole new crowd of support, or at least respect. The talent on display was immense. Even though it was a friendly, the intensity exhibited by both teams was truly appreciated by the fans, and throughout my section, all soccer fans--City, Chelsea, and Neutral--were commenting on the City run of play. I am certain a whole new generation of support for City was initiated last night.

The only downside was my inflatable banana was banned ;^) All in all, a top drawer evening.

You shouldn't have had the accompanying label - THIS BANANA IS GOING UP DAVID LUIS'S ARSE!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.