St Marks Gorton

jjsmqg.jpg

bumbles said:
prepares tin hat...

"Gorton was included in the City of Manchester in 1890, whereas the remainder of Gorton was included only in 1909, thanks largely to the work of councillor Joseph Henry Williamson, then Chairman of Gorton Urban District Council."

so the fact is the club was derived from outside the city of manchester

same as Newton Heath Mr raggeddy man, we didn't spend a grand total of just 8yrs in manchester, change our name and then move out of manchester, which would just be stupid, wouldn't it? Nor did we do it to ride on the coat tails of our more successful neighbours.

Manchester City were formed in 1894, in Manchester.

Born in Manchester
Bred in Manchester
STILL in Manchester

Beat that treble.

my grandparents(god bless there souls) lived over the road from st marks shame its not there any more ,it should of been untouchable not turned into rubble!!, its the school my dad went to,and i love this shirt,whats the cross stand for?is it to do with the church?

It's the Maltese Cross.

I know it was worn by armies who faught in Jerulsalem in the Crusades. don't know a lit else.

nedums noodles said:
my grandparents(god bless there souls) lived over the road from st marks shame its not there any more ,it should of been untouchable not turned into rubble!!, its the school my dad went to,and i love this shirt,whats the cross stand for?is it to do with the church?
Been in Oz for the best part of 30 years I was christened there as the name says and my 1st school was the same one as your Dad never realised the church had been flatened

bumbles said:
prepares tin hat...

"Gorton was included in the City of Manchester in 1890, whereas the remainder of Gorton was included only in 1909, thanks largely to the work of councillor Joseph Henry Williamson, then Chairman of Gorton Urban District Council."

so the fact is the club was derived from outside the city of manchester

Ardwick was added to Manchester in 1838, and Ardwick FC, from which Manchester City FC were derived from, were based there. Although the club was founded as St Marks, West Gorton, the actual set up of MCFC as a professional club came from the remnents of Ardwick FC who were set up in 1887 (still another 15 years before MUFC were formed and 3 years before the town of Newton Heath was added) and as MCFC in 1894.

But, nice try.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.