Stairway to Heaven court case

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty much impossible to write a song without borrowing from other musicians, however I think this will probably get decided on a statute of limitations style thing.

My personal view is that between 1963 and 1966 Page (Along with Big Jim Sullivan) was arguably the most sought after session guitarist in England, after 1966, he was in The Yardbirds for two years, THEN two years in Zeppelin, he did not need to copy anyone, why would he?..... those are eight or nine simple notes/chords that any eight year old who is proficient with a guitar could dream up.

It's like saying JK Rowling would pinch a couple of lines from a kid's essay in an exercise book.

Also, being influenced by the old black blues masters is not the same as copying them.

If they do lose the case, it will be interesting to see how much money is involved and how they actually work it out.

I know I'm biased, but to me, it sounds nothing like it.

I remember when the producers of Wayne's World were threatened with a court case, something about releasing the full version of the film, that showed a scene where Wayne played a riff from Stairway to Heaven in a music shop and the shop assistant stops him and points to a sign that said "no Stairway to heaven".... the producers of the film had to dub over a random guitar rift, which took away the humour of the joke.

It would be ludicrous if they got an equal credit with Page & Plant, it's only a small part of the song, but I guess even if you wrote one line of the lyric you'd get an equal credit, that's how it works I assume. They've had to add credits for other songs over the years, particularly Whole Lotta Love [Willie Dixon]
The Small Faces get nothing:

It's a chord progression, not a melody, so I don't think you can copyright that. Plus, Spirit would be fucked because they've nicked that progression off every classical guitar player ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.