Stamp Duty

A panic which the rest of the world appears to have escaped? Any other Govt in the world ignore their regular PPE set up a VIP lane and get their country shafted? Did any other spend £37bn on a track and trace system run by the wife of a mate and that did fuck all and was quietly dropped?

Of course there was panic. Difference is here the first thought was not "how do we sort this quickly and cost effectively" but was " how do we - our mates - our donors and our contacts moneytise this? "
There are a lot of myths on this, if you would only look closer. Bunging that £37bn figure as though it's one item misses the big picture. The majority of the money spent on track and trace was spent on COVID testing and the rest on manual contact tracing, plus that stupid tracing app that nobody used.

The UK was third in the world for total tests performed I think. The only thing we could of done is tested less or not at all but that certainly wouldn't of been a good idea. In hindsight the testing was useful in shaping lockdown policy but the contact tracing part was a disaster... The latter cost a lot and there isn't too much else to say.

I have no doubt that there was cronyism of course but I seriously doubt that this is directly responsible for the £400bn cost of COVID. I mean bloody hell, the taxpayer was paying a huge number of people 80%/60% of their wages to do nothing for over a year. Of course it was eventually going to cost us all an absolute fortune.

stamp.jpg

“Did you realise that the stamp duty rate on property value above £925k is 10%??? And 12% on properties over £1.5m. 10% or 12% of their ALREADY TAXED income?”
Nope, didn’t realise that. I’ll shed a tear for the affected.
You see that's the difference between me and you. I am not remotely resentful of people fortunate enough to be better off than me. I'm just interested in what's right and what's fair, and I don't think taking many tens of thousands of pounds off someone, just because they want or need to move house, is at all fair.

Perhaps Labour should change its name to "The Bitter Party" as a more apt description? Of course not all Labour supporters are bitter, but it seems a lot on here are.

You see that's the difference between me and you. I am not remotely resentful of people fortunate enough to be better off than me. I'm just interested in what's right and what's fair, and I don't think taking many tens of thousands of pounds off someone, just because they want or need to move house, is at all fair.

Perhaps Labour should change its name to "The Bitter Party" as a more apt description? Of course not all Labour supporters are bitter, but it seems a lot on here are.
I understand what you’re saying and appreciate the considered response. Think I was trying to get across how imbalanced the “system “ is.

I’m not bitter at people who are better off than me -I’m bitter at the people who perpetuate a system that is so inherently unfair- how can it be right that wealth alone allows you access to a dentist / doctor when you need it?

That you’re likely to be able to read the books you want because you can afford to buy them as opposed to someone relying on their (now defunct) library?

We have become a nation driven and riven by greed. IMHO

I understand what you’re saying and appreciate the considered response. Think I was trying to get across how imbalanced the “system “ is.

I’m not bitter at people who are better off than me -I’m bitter at the people who perpetuate a system that is so inherently unfair- how can it be right that wealth alone allows you access to a dentist / doctor when you need it?

That you’re likely to be able to read the books you want because you can afford to buy them as opposed to someone relying on their (now defunct) library?

I also appreciate your considered response :-)

And actually, I agree with every word you say.

Wow. You start a bitter thread about stamp duty of 10-12%, but, like Sunak, it's as if the Tories haven't been in power for 13 years. A reminder - stamp duty was:

Maximum 4% when Labour left office...

Wow. You start a bitter thread about stamp duty of 10-12%, but, like Sunak, it's as if the Tories haven't been in power for 13 years. A reminder - stamp duty was:
The events of the 20th century are just things that happened in another universe as far as you'er concerned, aren't they.

And anyway, since when was this a thread about Labour or the Tories? You're fucking obsessed with it.

The events of the 20th century are just things that happened in another universe as far as you'er concerned, aren't they.

And anyway, since when was this a thread about Labour or the Tories? You're fucking obsessed with it.

From the guy whose previous post said

No idea what the 20th century has to do with the rate of stamp duty in 2010.

No idea what the 20th century has to do with the rate of stamp duty in 2010.
Yes you have, it's just it doesn't fit your narrative, so you choose to ignore it.

To spell it out - not that it needs spelling out since you know this as per above - World macro economic events have a HUGE impact upon a country's economy. We entered 2010 on the back of a global banking crisis that had left the UK with a then unsustainable debt burden, one that was rapidly rising due to the also huge budget deficit. After years of trimming of government spending, and the economy finally starting to recover, we've then had Brexit, COVID, the war in Ukraine, massive hikes in energy prices and huge inflation rates and interest rates, which have massively increased our national debt and the costs of servicing it. At the same time, NHS spending in particular had gone through the roof.

This imbalance between government expenditure and income OF COUSE has implications for the amount of tax it must raise to try to balance the books.

Only an uninformed buffoon could not understand this. And I assume you are not one.

Last edited:

From a distance, I’d say you have become a nation driven by resentment and spite, full of people looking for a handout, not a hand up!

I agree that the NHS is a crown jewel and should be protected, as medicine in America is a profit-driven commodity full of middlemen taking a massive cut, but beyond that I see a nation with too many people who want SOMEONE ELSE to pay for their free ride!

Government collects money via taxation. In England, it appears to have become such a “rich person’s problem” because so many want so much for giving so little, yet someone has to pay. Hence, greater and greater “progressive” taxation.

As they say in government circles, if you need revenue, you’ve got to get it from where the money is! Home price inflation is a gift to the Inland Revenue, which is why they reinvented Stamp Duty recently!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.