Stan Bowles RIP

His time at City was before my time but I remember how great he was in that brilliant QPR side that should have won the league in 75-76. What a player. I hope his passing was as painless as possible for him and his family. They suffered a great deal with his dementia. Thanks for the memories. Rest in peace Stan.

He was around at the wrong time, I presume (I was only a nipper at the time). The Bell/Lee/Summerbee era. Plus, I don't know if he was a maverick in his youth; if he was, that mightn't have gone down to well with Joe and Malcolm. Just guesswork on my part.
He had a problem with the bookies and the pubs when he was younger, at City.
They used to say ‘He can pass the ball, but unfortunately he can’t pass the Bookies or the pub’.

They used to say ‘He can pass the ball, but unfortunately he can’t pass the Bookies or the pub’.
I think everyone knew about his fondness for the bookies when he was down in London. I had no idea whether he was at it when he was at City; he'd have been only around 20/21 at that time.

Without wishing to sound too pedantic, wasn’t the exact quote: "If he could pass a bookies as well as he can pass a football, he’d be a great player"?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.