Starting to lose its soul ?

Scottyboi said:
Shit fans, rather we knocked the 3rd tiers off as they offer fuck all to the atmospere. Leaving with 15 minutes to go the sad *****. And jesus the amount of half n half scarves are crazy. Love citeh hate city fans.We are in a semi final and all people were arsed about was beating the traffic!

It was 5.30 kick off and Ant n Dec were on the telly

guvnors son mcfc said:
I don't know how about everyone else but when we beat Everton in 1981 at the 6th round stage, the 52,000 crammed into Maine Road exploded at the final whistle.

Yesterday we reached the FA cup semi final and at the final whistle the place was half empty. I know the game was over once the first goal went in but I include myself in the fact that I didn't get excited at the fact we had reached another Semi final in probably the biggest club cup competition in the world with the exception of Champions league of course.

I fear with our new found wealth and success that this "non-plus" feeling will get worse as the trophies and finals continue to arrive.

I hope not :(
Last time we played a home FA cup quarter final the ground was half empty at the start of the game.

grim up north said:
Scottyboi said:
Shit fans, rather we knocked the 3rd tiers off as they offer fuck all to the atmospere. Leaving with 15 minutes to go the sad *****. And jesus the amount of half n half scarves are crazy. Love citeh hate city fans.We are in a semi final and all people were arsed about was beating the traffic!

It was 5.30 kick off and Ant n Dec were on the telly

Haha true the sad bastards, its always nice winding up our cheshire contingent as they make an early dart!

I agree with the OP. I found myself feeling slightly ashamed of myself for not feeling completely ecstatic. Regardless of who we'd have been playing, if this had happened a few years ago, I'd have been pissed for a week if we'd reached a semi at Wembley. I think that it's down to our recent success and the number of trips we've made there over the last few years. These things have a tendency of biting you on the arse however, so I need to man up and start enjoying myself, because who knows what the future holds? - I was 20 when we played Spurs in the 81 cup final, and if you had told me then that I would be 50 before we'd be in another cup final, I'd have never believed it.

All that said, I can't wait for the weekend of April 13th.

Lots of reasons for the lack of "occasion" yesterday, the main one being that in 1981a cup semi was a once a decade type thing. Now it's every season. Also, like it or not, the fa cup meant much more to fans back then.

Even considering those changes, and the gradual sanitisation of the grounds and the fans, if yesterday had been a night match replay against Everton the atmosphere would have been significantly different.

samharris said:
guvnors son mcfc said:
I don't know how about everyone else but when we beat Everton in 1981 at the 6th round stage, the 52,000 crammed into Maine Road exploded at the final whistle.

Yesterday we reached the FA cup semi final and at the final whistle the place was half empty. I know the game was over once the first goal went in but I include myself in the fact that I didn't get excited at the fact we had reached another Semi final in probably the biggest club cup competition in the world with the exception of Champions league of course.

I fear with our new found wealth and success that this "non-plus" feeling will get worse as the trophies and finals continue to arrive.

If we'd have won yesterday 1-0 with a last min goal then yes.. but the game was over after 20 mins..

Anyway its finals that are important...not semis.

agree, it went wild against reading cause it took along time for goal to come and was only 1 0, we were in the semis by 32 minutes.

Didsbury Dave said:
Lots of reasons for the lack of "occasion" yesterday, the main one being that in 1981a cup semi was a once a decade type thing. Now it's every season. Also, like it or not, the fa cup meant much more to fans back then.

Even considering those changes, and the gradual sanitisation of the grounds and the fans, if yesterday had been a night match replay against Everton the atmosphere would have been significantly different.

I am only 23 and i love the fa cup more than the league, the excitement of the draw and the large away fan allocation its class. Its disgusting how much this great cup has been devalued.

Gingers Dad said:
guvnors son mcfc said:

Last time we played a home FA cup quarter final the ground was half empty at the start of the game.

Reading was a sell out from what i remember, your probably talking about the west ham debacle.

I'm with the OP had a beer pre-post match etc. I've been going since 1970 to all sorts of shitholes and never thought I'd see us like this again.

I'd like to say I couldn't believe my eyes when on 79 mins 'fans' started leaving in 106/105 but it was always going to happen. Must have been lots of people going to work/plane to catch etc.

Gingers Dad said:
guvnors son mcfc said:

Correct, that was poor too. Maybe this comes with success ? The Barnsley fans roared when they crossed the halfway line and I think their end would of erupted if they had taken the lead or if they had won it and got to Wembley. Four years ago we would of been the same, I remember the Hamburg night as an example.

Maybe now we have won something again that thirst for success has been quenched ?

There was no excuse at the Reading game as we had not won anything since 76.

I recall two other games, Boro and Spurs in the FA cup at Maine Road and the Beehive pub was rocking before the game and the atmosphere in the ground aswell. Both ended in tears aswell as we know.

I suppose my initial point was I recall these games and the expectation and anticipation that those days brought and it just wasn't there yesterday or as you pointed out aswell v Reading and we actually won through in both.

Maybe it's us Olduns ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.