Starting to lose its soul ?

Scottyboi said:
Shit fans, rather we knocked the 3rd tiers off as they offer fuck all to the atmospere. Leaving with 15 minutes to go the sad *****. And jesus the amount of half n half scarves are crazy. Love citeh hate city fans.We are in a semi final and all people were arsed about was beating the traffic!
oh to be young again<br /><br />-- Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:45 am --<br /><br />
Scottyboi said:
Shit fans, rather we knocked the 3rd tiers off as they offer fuck all to the atmospere. Leaving with 15 minutes to go the sad *****. And jesus the amount of half n half scarves are crazy. Love citeh hate city fans.We are in a semi final and all people were arsed about was beating the traffic!
oh to be young again

jayblue said:
Scottyboi said:
oh to be young again

-- Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:45 am --

Scottyboi said:
oh to be young again

I dont feel young i feel like victor meldrew haha.

Scottyboi said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Lots of reasons for the lack of "occasion" yesterday, the main one being that in 1981a cup semi was a once a decade type thing. Now it's every season. Also, like it or not, the fa cup meant much more to fans back then.

Even considering those changes, and the gradual sanitisation of the grounds and the fans, if yesterday had been a night match replay against Everton the atmosphere would have been significantly different.

I am only 23 and i love the fa cup more than the league, the excitement of the draw and the large away fan allocation its class. Its disgusting how much this great cup has been devalued.
It's become devalued to the clubs, that's why that has filtered down to the fans. In 1981 winning the fa cup was only a small notch down from winning the league. Everyone got a full house for the third round every year. Since the advent of the premier league and the elevation of money as the god of football, the cup means less to chairmen, and hence to managers, and hence to players, and hence to fans. There are a whole lot more contributory factors but that's the main one. Even having the semi at wembley devalues the final.

It's still a good competition of course, but its like the cups in the European leagues now in terms of its importance. Blame money and the premier league itself for forming in the early 1990s. That changed everything.

I thought it was quite a decent atmosphere. Considering that we were overwhelming favourites and put the game to bed early on. I actually think its a bit naff to be singing "Wemb-er-ley" before a semi final, but the fact that we did and did the Poznan reflected a good deal more enthusiasm than I expected.

I didnt think it was a big deal that people left early. We were 5-0 up and just passing the ball round to kill time. Hardly any football was played with serious intent in the last 15 mins.

Don't get this thread.

a) Our FA Cup Home games have all been played in front of sell-out crowds.

b) City fans now expect to beat Barnsley, Leeds etc at home. This is progress. Changing expectations. Elation and euphoria at a FA Cup Quarter-Final win is the flip-side of Cityitis.

It's just that it is too easy for us playing against Championship sides at home. I said earlier in the week that we would be 4-0 and coasting by an hour gone whilst loads were babbling on about not taking them lightly.

If we had played a Prem side at home or a Champ club away it would have had a far better atmosphere.

Not complaining though, I like Wembley.

Rammy Blue said:
It's just that it is too easy for us playing against Championship sides at home. I said earlier in the week that we would be 4-0 and coasting by an hour gone whilst loads were babbling on about not taking them lightly.

If we had played a Prem side at home or a Champ club away it would have had a far better atmosphere.

Not complaining though, I like Wembley.
It was better than the atmosphere at home to reading two years ago.

I don't think there's an era in any stage of our club's history when the FA Cup has been played in front of sell-out home crowds at City. Memory is playing tricks on people.

Also true to say that the Champions League has changed the perception of the FA Cup and Wembley, but you ask Everton fans how disappointed they were to lose yesterday.

Didsbury Dave said:
Scottyboi said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Lots of reasons for the lack of "occasion" yesterday, the main one being that in 1981a cup semi was a once a decade type thing. Now it's every season. Also, like it or not, the fa cup meant much more to fans back then.

Even considering those changes, and the gradual sanitisation of the grounds and the fans, if yesterday had been a night match replay against Everton the atmosphere would have been significantly different.

I am only 23 and i love the fa cup more than the league, the excitement of the draw and the large away fan allocation its class. Its disgusting how much this great cup has been devalued.
It's become devalued to the clubs, that's why that has filtered down to the fans. In 1981 winning the fa cup was only a small notch down from winning the league. Everyone got a full house for the third round every year. Since the advent of the premier league and the elevation of money as the god of football, the cup means less to chairmen, and hence to managers, and hence to players, and hence to fans. There are a whole lot more contributory factors but that's the main one. Even having the semi at wembley devalues the final.

It's still a good competition of course, but its like the cups in the European leagues now in terms of its importance. Blame money and the premier league itself for forming in the early 1990s. That changed everything.

This is true.

The atmos v Reading 2 seasons ago wasn't that great considering we hadn't been in a Semi since God was a lad.

well scottiboy,im in 3rd tier east,atmospheres pretty good up there,ive never left a game early never will do,presume your in level i eh

guvnors son mcfc said:
I don't know how about everyone else but when we beat Everton in 1981 at the 6th round stage, the 52,000 crammed into Maine Road exploded at the final whistle.

Yesterday we reached the FA cup semi final and at the final whistle the place was half empty. I know the game was over once the first goal went in but I include myself in the fact that I didn't get excited at the fact we had reached another Semi final in probably the biggest club cup competition in the world with the exception of Champions league of course.

I fear with our new found wealth and success that this "non-plus" feeling will get worse as the trophies and finals continue to arrive.

I hope not :(

Trouble was that , after the third goal had gone in , the game became a non-event really in so much that it became merely a 'damage limitation' exercise for Barnsley in the second half ...... they were never really good enough to make a real fight of it for the last forty five minutes or so.

At times the game seemed like a 'training exercise' for a City side that only had to step up a gear to cause Barnsley further trouble .....

the semi final should be a different story.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.