State of Wembley Pitch 1970

I was 17 and living in Oxford, no way of getting a ticket from City. Saw somewhere that a few were available direct from Wembley so sent a ten shilling note and a self-addressed envelope and got a ticket in the Baggies end behind the goal which Astle and then Doyle scored in, just above the players' entrance. Of course by the end of the laps of honour all the Baggies fans had gone so there was just me and a handful of other City fans in the wrong end to cheer them back to the dressing room. Joe Mercer held the cup up to us as he passed underneath. Great day.

Yep. And it had snowed overnight - we had a right time getting there.
Further to the above, it was a bit of a contrast from earlier in the week, when I watched my first European away match, in Coimbra, Portugal. Ours was one of the few planes to get out of Manchester due to the snow, and the following day the temperature was around 70c there. When we landed home , my mum & dad were waiting for me and my mate, and as soon as we set off, it started snowing again!

I was 17 and living in Oxford, no way of getting a ticket from City. Saw somewhere that a few were available direct from Wembley so sent a ten shilling note and a self-addressed envelope and got a ticket in the Baggies end behind the goal which Astle and then Doyle scored in, just above the players' entrance. Of course by the end of the laps of honour all the Baggies fans had gone so there was just me and a handful of other City fans in the wrong end to cheer them back to the dressing room. Joe Mercer held the cup up to us as he passed underneath. Great day.
Brilliant.

You may have seen me. I was directly on top of the tunnel during the game.

My mum and dad were in the Baggies end, they got tickets off a tout. When they got back to the coach my mum was very happy not just with the win but because Mike Doyle had waved at her on the way to the tunnel.

Eight of us went down by train with two holdalls filled with cans and bottles of beer that were provided by one of our crew who had saved them from his allowance at Hydes Brewery where he worked. We kept half of the supply for the return journey and left them in a luggage locker at Euston (stll had them in those days).

After the game we had a wild old time down in Soho which resulted in our group getting split in two and back at Euston there was no sign of them. We ended up distributing the beer to anybody in our carriage who fancied one as we had all had enough by then. The other four got on a completely different train.

I couldn't put away that amount of ale these days.

Went with my then girlfriend on the official City trip from the Social club with a one night stay in a hotel in London,great day and night

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.