Statues at the ground

scrap any plans for statues, start a fresh, just make a f ing huge one of Pep and stick it outside the old toilet

If he has a statue then i want to see one of my second ever favourite CB to Vinny, Dave Watson. And i expect him to have a big cold sore on his lip, just like he had on most club pictures and my Panini stickers: )
When I interviewed Watson a few years back he picked up a book (not one of mine) and pointed at his photo and wasn’t happy they’d used that image with the cold sore. He told me he’d had loads of other photos they could’ve used. As he talked I was desperately trying to remember if I’d used that photo with my profile of him in Manchester The Greatest City. I was nervous because it was in my bag and I didn’t want him to see it.

After a while it slipped from my mind and then he asked something and I said ‘I can check that in my book…’

I pulled out the book and then thought ‘sh!t - the cold sore!’

He took the book off me and saw in the contents page I’d done a profile of him. My heart’s pounding… he gets to the page and reads It. I’m looking over and see that I didn’t use the cold sore photo. Phew!

Dave was my hero as a kid and, to be Frank, still is. We didn’t really replace him for decades (until Kompany?) and he’s also bigger than me. If I’d used that cold sore photo I’m not certain I’d have left his office alive.

When I interviewed Watson a few years back he picked up a book (not one of mine) and pointed at his photo and wasn’t happy they’d used that image with the cold sore. He told me he’d had loads of other photos they could’ve used. As he talked I was desperately trying to remember if I’d used that photo with my profile of him in Manchester The Greatest City. I was nervous because it was in my bag and I didn’t want him to see it.

After a while it slipped from my mind and then he asked something and I said ‘I can check that in my book…’

He took the book off me and saw in the contents page I’d done a profile of him. My heart’s pounding… he gets to the page and reads It. I’m looking over and see that I didn’t use the cold sore photo. Phew!

Dave was my hero as a kid and, to be Frank, still is. We didn’t really replace him for decades (until Kompany?) and he’s also bigger than me. If I’d used that cold sore photo I’m not certain I’d have left his office alive.
That's a great story, about a great player.

Funny, isn't it? We got IIRC £150,000 from Werder Bremen when we sold him. Now that's about 3 days pay for KDB.

Love wee anecdote’s like this,I’m sure you have plenty of others as well Gary,you could probably write a book on them ;-)

Gary did you happen to catch the interview with Dave Bennett on Legacy FM yesterday?

It was quite a lengthy interview, maybe 40 minutes, he talked about growing up in Longsight, his time as a youth player at City, breaking through, suffering racial abuse in his very first tackle in the professional game, being the first black player to represent City in a Cup final, breaking his leg 4 times, getting an assist and man of the match for Coventry when they won the Cup in 87.

It was a really interesting listen for someone like me who knew nothing about him. The interviewer was clearly a big City fan, but wasn’t too sure on the historical accuracy of some of the stuff she was saying, and it instantly made me think of you and that you’d probably be able to clear some stuff up for her.

In particular her or Dave weren’t sure if he played in the Youth Cup final which she thought was played at Boundary Park. I think she mentioned City had won it after Liverpool had won it 9 times on the spin or something, so guessing it was quite an achievement at the time.

It was on at around 12.45pm yesterday, if you missed it I’m sure the station would be happy to point you in the right direction, Legacy 90.1FM

Gary did you happen to catch the interview with Dave Bennett on Legacy FM yesterday?

It was quite a lengthy interview, maybe 40 minutes, he talked about growing up in Longsight, his time as a youth player at City, breaking through, suffering racial abuse in his very first tackle in the professional game, being the first black player to represent City in a Cup final, breaking his leg 4 times, getting an assist and man of the match for Coventry when they won the Cup in 87.

It was a really interesting listen for someone like me who knew nothing about him. The interviewer was clearly a big City fan, but wasn’t too sure on the historical accuracy of some of the stuff she was saying, and it instantly made me think of you and that you’d probably be able to clear some stuff up for her.

In particular her or Dave weren’t sure if he played in the Youth Cup final which she thought was played at Boundary Park. I think she mentioned City had won it after Liverpool had won it 9 times on the spin or something, so guessing it was quite an achievement at the time.

It was on at around 12.45pm yesterday, if you missed it I’m sure the station would be happy to point you in the right direction, Legacy 90.1FM
Missed it. Sounds worth listening to. Thanks

Just checked in the Breedon Books "Complete Record 1887-1987", it was the 1977 Lancashire Youth Cup final against Oldham with the 2nd leg at Boundary Park and Bennett scored in a 1-1 draw.

Just checked in the Breedon Books "Complete Record 1887-1987", it was the 1977 Lancashire Youth Cup final against Oldham with the 2nd leg at Boundary Park and Bennett scored in a 1-1 draw.
That's great, thanks for that. I think it may have been the Central League for reserve sides that Liverpool won 9 times on the spin that City ended up winning around the same time?

I'd never heard of Bennett as a player, bit before my time, but he sounded like a really nice guy and a big City fan.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.