Statues

blueonblue said:
Tony Book was without doubt one of the best servants any club could ever wish for, as a player, captain, and manager, he had a massive effect on the club, if we go along the road of statues then Bookie must be in there.
Exactly this. Tony seems a very modest man and never gets much of a mention when our greatest days are recalled, yet his achievement in going from a 29-year-old who played his entire career in non-league to lifting the league title as captain and winning (jointly) player of the year just a couple of years later is Roy of the Rovers stuff.

If one more person suggests a Paul Dickov statue and is being serious I might lose the plot. He is one of the worst players in the 120 year history of the club. He scored one important goal. Get over it!

It is completely disrespectful to some of the footballing giants and legends that have played for this club to overlook them in favour of a forward who averaged 5 goals a season in the 2nd division.

Thankfully our owners have more class than to erect a statue of "Little Dicky" but if one is ever built I will burn it down.

Shaelumstash said:
Thankfully our owners have more class than to erect a statue of "Little Dicky" but if one is ever built I will burn it down.

I agree with you, Paul was a bit gash for the most part, a hard worker and some important goals but he was a second tier player all day long. But it's like that horrible away strip worn in the playoff final, somehow it's got legendary status because of what happened in the one game. Despite it being a certified eyesore.

My choice of statue would be Nigel Cleghorn.

Shaelumstash said:
If one more person suggests a Paul Dickov statue and is being serious I might lose the plot. He is one of the worst players in the 120 year history of the club. He scored one important goal. Get over it!

It is completely disrespectful to some of the footballing giants and legends that have played for this club to overlook them in favour of a forward who averaged 5 goals a season in the 2nd division.

Guess it's someones time of the month.

I agree with you to an extent. We've had much better players before and after Paul Dickov but not matter had the fight and perseverance that he had, he never gave up and I'll always respect that.

Also, if you're telling me that was a glorious day in the recent history of this club, I simply don't believe you.

Mugatu said:
Shaelumstash said:

I agree with you, Paul was a bit gash for the most part, a hard worker and some important goals but he was a second tier player all day long. But it's like that horrible away strip worn in the playoff final, somehow it's got legendary status because of what happened in the one game. Despite it being a certified eyesore.

Yeh I agree about the kit. The other myth is that Dickov's goal saved the club from financial obvlivion. Getting promoted from the 3rd tier to the second was actually worth about 50 grand, but why let the truth get in the way of a good story hey?!

Shaelumstash said:
Yeh I agree about the kit. The other myth is that Dickov's goal saved the club from financial obvlivion. Getting promoted from the 3rd tier to the second was actually worth about 50 grand, but why let the truth get in the way of a good story hey?!

And how much was promotion to the Premier League one year later worth?

citytillidie24 said:
Shaelumstash said:

Guess it's someones time of the month.

I agree with you to an extent. We've had much better players before and after Paul Dickov but not matter had the fight and perseverance that he had, he never gave up and I'll always respect that.

Also, if you're telling me that was a glorious day in the recent history of this club, I simply don't believe you.

Every time is the right time of the month to dispel the Paul Dickov myth. I was saying the same things while he was playing that I am saying now. I have the fight and perseverance of Paul Dickov but the reason I didn't make it professionally is because I don't have the talent. Neither did Dickov.

99 at Wembley was a great day out. It depends on your interpretation of glorious because given the history of the club, I don't really think promotion from the 3rd division has too much glory about it.

chrishull said:
Shaelumstash said:

And how much was promotion to the Premier League one year later worth?

Tens of millions, but that promotion had very little to with Paul Dickov didn't it? He scored 5 goals that season, the same as Bob Taylor, you don't want a statue of him too do you?

I think people forget Dickov's goal was actually an equaliser and we won on penalties. Maybe we should have a Nicky Weaver statue too? Or re name the South Stand the Ged Brannan stand?!

Mustard Dave said:
I vote for Michael Jackson, and if you don’t understand and appreciate such a gift this guy gave to the world you can go to hell. I don’t want you to be fans. If you don’t understand and don’t believe in things I believe in, you can go to the rags, you can go to anywhere else!

;-)
Donny Osmond
Cliff Richard
Sandy Shaw
Tevez
Norman Wisdom
Mary Poppins

I cant believe that a major city legend is missing from these lists.....Step forward the one and only BERT TRAUTMANN.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.