Stephen Irelands new position

carlos84 said:
WHY CHANGE IT? what we have with barry SWP and ireland is a great engine room and they are intelligent enough to know when one goes one sits and vice versa. 3 games no goals conceded and winning, always summat to pick at though aint there
Like I've said I'm not having a moan, just think we could be even better, I do agree though, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

what we have to remember is we know and all the prem knows that we have great players now in all positions so I couldnt care less if we had the text book 20 goals each from the strikers and a midfielder hitting double figgers, as long as we see 110% on the field from all and 150% from the fans and we keep up these performances, I say our time has come

As much as I would like to see him making a trademark sprint from beyond half-way to score, he doesn't need to this year with the increased quality ahead of him.

I agree that Ireland may be surrounded with more talent, but he could still be freed up to go to the next level. He has the head and the feet to be our Kaka, the kind of "matchwinner" fergfart likes to talk about.

He can win us those games we don't look likely to win if he is given more ball and more room. If we halved the number of balls that go to SWP and Robbie, and gave them to Ireland, I think we would see better results.

I know SWP scored a beauty tonight, but before that he gave the ball away four times in a row. drives me mental, and if robbie does one more trick without having to, i'm making up a chant and screaming it at my tellie. (in teh US).

He won't shine as much because we have more stars! (bad pun yes I know) However he still has had some killer passes and made some deadly runs, some of which didn't get noticed by other players. Not to mention he can finish!? Though he did make a few bad ones but it happens. He will be more defensive this year but I trust him to make around the same number of goals! I think he is quality on defence as well!

The big difference for me in Irelands case is that the team hasnt gelled yet. He makes lots of the same runs he did last year and are often in great positions but he doesnt get the ball because the new players like Tevez, adebayor and Barry dont see his runs... the arent giving him the balls he got last year...
I think he is playing very well at the moment... he made 3 'killer' pass yesterday, for shauns goal. to set Ade free with goalie and to Robbies 'goal'... you cant ask for more than that...

He also covers very large areas of the pitch and yesterday i saw him in defense then he was the first in attack many times...

Ireland is superman!!!!

gman07 said:
The big difference for me in Irelands case is that the team hasnt gelled yet. He makes lots of the same runs he did last year and are often in great positions but he doesnt get the ball because the new players like Tevez, adebayor and Barry dont see his runs... the arent giving him the balls he got last year...
I think he is playing very well at the moment... he made 3 'killer' pass yesterday, for shauns goal. to set Ade free with goalie and to Robbies 'goal'... you cant ask for more than that...

He also covers very large areas of the pitch and yesterday i saw him in defense then he was the first in attack many times...

Ireland is superman!!!!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that once they develop more of an understanding and get used to playing together, we'll see some pretty spectacular results. I actually don't think Stevie has gone off the boil at all, but I do think he'll be even better once all the new players get firmly on his wavelength and vice versa (happened pretty quickly with him and Robinho last year so that bodes well)

sam221985 said:
gman07 said:

Ireland is superman!!!!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that once they develop more of an understanding and get used to playing together, we'll see some pretty spectacular results. I actually don't think Stevie has gone off the boil at all, but I do think he'll be even better once all the new players get firmly on his wavelength and vice versa (happened pretty quickly with him and Robinho last year so that bodes well)

I think if anything it looks like he has focused a little more defensively and has been making superb slide tackles and marking! Superman's just trying to show off all of his talent!

Wheelsy said:
As much as I would like to see him making a trademark sprint from beyond half-way to score, he doesn't need to this year with the increased quality ahead of him.

My god, the English summer's not over I find myself agreeing with the banana binder. Dead right Wheelsy. Last season and previous seasons he was doing the job of three. Went to matches and half-expected him to do a stint in goal. He was defending, running the midfield and weighing in with a few crucial goals. This season he can focus on just the one thing, knowing that there are others who can weigh in with much effect.

Daniel Sturridge said:
It's going very well atm for us, won our last 5 games, not conceded in 4 including Barca and we're all buzzing about what's happening to our club and the season ahead but if I have one worry it's Ireland in this new defensive position, he's just not the same player as last year, he doesn't make the same runs as often or do those killer passes. If the teams doing well then fair enough, don't change it but I would like to see the best Ireland. If that means making Barry just play deeper or bringing in de Jong, I dunno, but I think an Ireland 08-09 with the team we've got atm would be amazing.

This isn't me moaning or out like that and I'm definitely not slagging Ireland off but I think it's a good topic to discuss.

Discuss...

Totally agree...its like he's a bit overawed by the new signings and aint quite playing his natural attacking game....though still playing pretty well! He should be on a couple of goals by now!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.