Stephen Irelands new position

Anyone who thinks Ireland has gone off the boil clearly doesnt watch games properly he played with freedom for 5 minutes at the start of the second half last night and opened them up twice, assisted swp's goal, his ball for robi's goal in first half was sublime, and the weighting on the one two with tevez was as close to perfect as youl get, anyone who thinks he isnt our most creative player still is clearly deluded,

Not sure on this one whether intentional or because MH doesn't want to drop either SWP or Ireland. Every player can learn, last season although brilliant at times gave the impression of a headless chicken. This season his role seems to be help out in defensive midfield but when the moment is right go forward hit those majestic passes and create havoc. It is as though he is a coiled spring unleashed for a few seconds then rewound. Personally I think it gives the opposition a nightmare to mark against and therefore I an erring on the side that this is a masterstroke by MH. We have played three games including two away won all three without conceding any goals I for one am happy. But that is only my opinion others may disagree.

City have created a team with 5 attackers and 6 defenders, with the potential to have 8 attackers when we are pressing high up the field. The balance is created by Barry holding firm in the DM position, allowing SI and SWP to be freed up for BOTH telling passes and runs from deep. If you look at the goals they have scored and the chances they have created, it has PROVEN that the ATTACKING balance has been correct. In each of the last 3 games, we COULD have scored 5 or 6 quite easily and someone, somewhere is going to be on the end of one of those spankings.

Ireland is showing GREAT maturity in his play, being creative, holding his run when necessary and getting behind the last defender when possible. Obviously, he has defensive responsibilities when we do not have the ball, but as he showed against Barca and since, he has no problem bursting a lung to be that player.

Personally, I think the BIGGEST issue we face is what does the line-up look like when either SI or SWP is injured/banned, etc..., as they add so much energy up and down the inside right/left channels. Also, I am not sure if Tevez is not fully fit or has not quite figured out his role in the scheme, but he has looked, at times, a step off the pace.

All in all, if anyone had said we would be unbeaten after Barca, 2 Prem games and the Lge Cup banana skin AND NOT HAVE CONCEDED A GOAL YET, there are few here who would not have either laughed or slapped a £20 on the table and said "put your money where your mouth is!" Initial start bodes well, but we have also be smiled upon by the Gods on occasion (Blackburn at 1-0 were putting us under great pressure, Wolves at 1-0 hit the crossbar and long range shot in first half that Given saved magnificently, and Palace had numerous chances to slow the freight train last night), but that is what is needed, as long as we are doing the business up the other end.

Personally, I think De Jong will fill in much like he did against Wolves in the later stages, and perhaps from the start against the bigger teams away from home, with either Robi or Tevez having to sit it out for a while. The big questions will arise when the entire squad is fit and raring to go, if it ever gets to that point. Where does Kompany fit in and will both he and NDJ be satisfied with bit part roles, if that is what happens?

Keep on keepin' on!!!

When you reach that point have having fully fit squad to choose from and are beyond first fifteen or so games maybe thats when rotation of the squad will take place, to give the players who have done a fair stint a rest for the rigours of the months of Feb to April when fatigue sets in for smaller squads. Plus we have to lose possibly Ade and Toure to African Nations Cup etc.

I think Ireland is playing a slightly more disciplined role for the good of the team, if we were to unleash him right now, it might make him more influencial and creative, but i'm not sure the benefits of that would outweigh the cost of leaving our midfield and defence much more exposed.

Think he just didn't have the best game yesterday but nobody can always be perfect, although he is close, let him get into his stride again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.