Sterling and the hate he gets

Southgate based his numbers on practice penalties in non pressure environment!

If he used the correct analysis even if people may doubt this strategy, he probably would have come to a totally different conclusion

For example;

Does experience of taking penalties in true match situations help in high pressure shoot outs?

Does age and number of games help in shootouts?

Other factors;

Rashford put under high stress immediately before shootout. Playing position never played, defending last moments under intense Italy pressure.

2 very inexperienced players taking last two crucial penalties! We missed last two in 1990 World Cup after good start showing these are probably most crucial decisions!

I also seem to vaguely remember that rushed penalties often result in misses! Sako penalty taken very quickly. Sadly think in those key moments even before he struck the ball, his inexperience was a factor!

Shows to me that organisations, even with a lot of data, analysis and money behind them make basic mistakes in high pressure situations! You don't have to be Einstein to work out his choice of penalty takers was flawed!
Part of the coaching should be drilling the players to take their time, gather their composure as best they can, and follow the same routine every time - even in training - so they have the best chance possible of reproducing their best penalty under pressure.

Looking at how players take them, from all nations, it is clear that doesn’t happen. Sometimes you get the very clear impression players are getting the ordeal over with as soon as possible, and they always tend to miss.

This is a bizarre lapse in professionalism in such a professional sport, especially for England when we know all too well how critical penalty shootouts are.

Part of the coaching should be drilling the players to take their time, gather their composure as best they can, and follow the same routine every time - even in training - so they have the best chance possible of reproducing their best penalty under pressure.

Looking at how players take them, from all nations, it is clear that doesn’t happen. Sometimes you get the very clear impression players are getting the ordeal over with as soon as possible, and they always tend to miss.

This is a bizarre lapse in professionalism in such a professional sport, especially for England when we know all too well how critical penalty shootouts are.
Well Rashford and Sancho didnt appear to want to get their penalties over asap. The way they took theirs stunk of me,me,me.

Well Rashford and Sancho didnt appear to want to get their penalties over asap. The way they took theirs stunk of me,me,me.
Sancho’s was actually worse than Rashford’s for me. A lazy half arsed underhit back pass. Perfect for the keeper. At least Rashford confused the keeper, sending him the wrong way, shame he managed to confuse himself though. Just glad Raheem was responsible for missing one.

The BBC commentator bigged all three up in different ways as they prepared their kicks, praising the two younger ones for their confidence.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.