Steve Coppell

Blue Streak

Strange one this. What was it six games in charge? I remember the news being broke to me and I greeted it with the same reaction as when Kendall left?

I felt sorry for Phil Neil being left to face the public and be put in charge of that mess.

I had the same feeling that i had when hughes joined us and still hate him for fucking off so quickly because he was "Stressed".

hmmm - so "stressed" was what they called the little incident then was it....

Whatever we think of Coppell I think that particular rumour is not true. I think he couldn't handle the pressure/interference (cough) from our then chairman and didn't get any real promises on funds. He quit Palace for the last time after Jordan questioned a heavy preseason defeat to non league opposition.

He has one last major job on his hands and that is getting Bristol City to the Premier League.

AIDS-tombstone-advert1986.jpg

DiscoSteve said:

That's a myth. There was no "incident". As a 1990s ITK, I can tell you that categorically. Makes me laugh how many people repeat this baseless rumour as gospel. It's a bit like the one about Franny owning Kinkladze's registration, so if the player left, all the money would go straight into Lee's pocket. I must have heard that one from ten different people at least, but it was also a complete fabrication.

Coppell took the job even though his wife didn't want him to because she was happy based in the south. After he'd accepted the position, she then refused to move north and was threatening to divorce him. City offered him compassionate leave to go and sort his marriage out but he refused it.

All of this is true, and is hinted at in Blue Moon Rising by Andy Buckley and Richard Burgess, published in 2000. That book is the best behind the scenes look at City from about 1993 to our promotion back to the Prem under Royle. However, it's almost certain also that Coppell refused the compassionate leave and insisted on quitting instead because he realised he'd been misled as to just how bad things were at the club, and he realised that he'd never be able to achieve the aim of promotion, the possibility of which had led him to take the job.

There was a more credible rumour at the time that Coppell was refused permission to bring in two layers who'd have cost a total of £500K because FHL didn't rate them and to make changes to the coaching staff (he'd promised on his arrival that, apart from bringing in Phil Neal, he'd work with the existing staff, but he supposedly decided quickly that changes were needed). However, I can't confirm categorically whether or not this story is true.

Anyway, ask yourselves this. If there had been an incident of the sort rumoured that involved Coppell and he left as a result, why did the club give him a settlement agreement requiring him to keep silent about his time at the club in return for £50K.

As for how I felt about it, I was shocked more than anything - Kendall's departure also came out of the Blue, but the big thing about that one was that we lost a manager who many people, including me, thought would deliver real success. With Coppell, it seemed to be a confirmation of the fact that the club was declining more rapidly than anyone had thought possible: if we couldn't hold onto a manager for even five weeks, we must really be in the sh!t!

Dyed Petya said:
DiscoSteve said:

That's a myth. There was no "incident". As a 1990s ITK, I can tell you that categorically. Makes me laugh how many people repeat this baseless rumour as gospel. It's a bit like the one about Franny owning Kinkladze's registration, so if the player left, all the money would go straight into Lee's pocket. I must have heard that one from ten different people at least, but it was also a complete fabrication.

People will always believe the most sensational story or what sits most comfortably with them ...........nearly everyone on here believes Shearer turned down utd .......when they simply don't know the truth (which that isn't!) ;)

Dyed Petya said:
DiscoSteve said:

Coppell took the job even though his wife didn't want him to because she was happy based in the south. After he'd accepted the position, she then refused to move north and was threatening to divorce him. City offered him compassionate leave to go and sort his marriage out but he refused it.

All of this is true, and is hinted at in Blue Moon Rising by Andy Buckley and Richard Burgess, published in 2000. That book is the best behind the scenes look at City from about 1993 to our promotion back to the Prem under Royle. However, it's almost certain also that Coppell refused the compassionate leave and insisted on quitting instead because he realised he'd been misled as to just how bad things were at the club, and he realised that he'd never be able to achieve the aim of promotion, the possibility of which had led him to take the job.

There was a more credible rumour at the time that Coppell was refused permission to bring in two layers who'd have cost a total of £500K because FHL didn't rate them and to make changes to the coaching staff (he'd promised on his arrival that, apart from bringing in Phil Neal, he'd work with the existing staff, but he supposedly decided quickly that changes were needed). However, I can't confirm categorically whether or not this story is true.

Anyway, ask yourselves this. If there had been an incident of the sort rumoured that involved Coppell and he left as a result, why did the club give him a settlement agreement requiring him to keep silent about his time at the club in return for £50K.

As for how I felt about it, I was shocked more than anything - Kendall's departure also came out of the Blue, but the big thing about that one was that we lost a manager who many people, including me, thought would deliver real success. With Coppell, it seemed to be a confirmation of the fact that the club was declining more rapidly than anyone had thought possible: if we couldn't hold onto a manager for even five weeks, we must really be in the sh!t!
I can add a bit to that. When he was interviewed Francis Lee told him there would be money to spend and a figure was mentioned. Whether Lee genuinely thought there was money is open to question but Coppell went to Lee with a list of targets and was told categorically that there was no money.

This was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as Coppell was concerned and, on top of the domestic situation, he snapped.

Dyed Petya said:
DiscoSteve said:

I thought he got caught shagging a youth team player in the showers?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.