Steve Wright DJ RIP

But why did you dislike him so much? That thread, having just skim read 4 or 5 of the pages, is Bluemoon at its worst; a thread full of reactionary posters (mostly) slagging something (in this case Steve Wright) off, for no apparent reason. Most posts just saying variations on they don’t like him.

Unless there’s something about him in the background of which I’m not yet aware, I’ll continue to hold the view he was a positive presence on the radio, with a decent taste in music too.
Anyone who played out with "Wichita Lineman" is OK with me.

2 days on I still feel oddly cut up about his death; I think it's because he got put out to pasture off the BBC despite being (as I understand it) pretty much as good as he'd been for the previous 40 years.

As I've said before, his show wasn't for me, but I had tremendous respect for him, bit like Wogan or Monkhouse I guess.

This little video from the '80s shows him in a good light, I think.

But why did you dislike him so much? That thread, having just skim read 4 or 5 of the pages, is Bluemoon at its worst; a thread full of reactionary posters (mostly) slagging something (in this case Steve Wright) off, for no apparent reason. Most posts just saying variations on they don’t like him.

Unless there’s something about him in the background of which I’m not yet aware, I’ll continue to hold the view he was a positive presence on the radio, with a decent taste in music too.
Couldn't stand his shows and thought he was extremely unfunny
I also judge a music radio presenter on if they have such a lack of ideas they need a team around them to fill in and he did, generally about four people
And what I most hated about him was that he'd play an absolute banger and then chat shit over a fabulous intro, solo in the middle or a minute of the end
For such an experienced "DJ" you'd think he'd know when to STFU

30 years ago he may have been somewhat groundbreaking and funny to some but that was a long time ago.

Some of the media reports in the last few days have been cringy, blaming the BBC for his death to his and his neighbours plumber saying he was a good bloke.

And not just in this case but often when someone well known dies, they are remembered to be far better than the actual reality.

I personally was never a fan but RIP Mr Wright.

I listened to FiveLive on the way home on Tuesday after watching the game at my folks and I thought the tributes I heard from those who knew him were both genuine and profound. I felt they went way above the standard platitudes and I got the feeling he was a genuinely good guy who wasn’t egregiously affected by fame, which itself is remarkable, especially over that period of time.

Any suggestion he died from a broken heart is ridiculous, of course, but he didn’t write that preposterous headline and nor is he responsible for the appalling standards that we accept as a nation within our gutter press. That’s on all of us.

I think anyone who stays at the top of that particular game, for as long as he did, is a remarkable talent (my ex wife and current girlfriend both worked in radio) and to do so he must have made a lot of people happy, or at least helped get them through the day.

This isn’t North Korea, no **** was forced to listen to him, and anyone who didn’t like him was perfectly at liberty to listen to something else.

He spent half a decade doing something he clearly loved, was very well rewarded for so doing, brightened many people’s days up along the way, and was clearly dearly loved by those he worked alongside. I would say that was a life very well lived.

RIP.

I also judge a music radio presenter on if they have such a lack of ideas they need a team around them to fill in and he did, generally about four people
And what I most hated about him was that he'd play an absolute banger and then chat shit over a fabulous intro, solo in the middle or a minute of the end
Actually that was his only fault talking over the records that I remember, used to like him back in the 80s but as with much BBC stuff I moved onto other radio stations

I listened to FiveLive on the way home on Tuesday after watching the game at my folks and I thought the tributes I heard from those who knew him were both genuine and profound. I felt they went way above the standard platitudes and I got the feeling he was a genuinely good guy who wasn’t egregiously affected by fame, which itself is remarkable, especially over that period of time.

Any suggestion he died from a broken heart is ridiculous, of course, but he didn’t write that preposterous headline and nor is he responsible for the appalling standards that we accept as a nation within our gutter press. That’s on all of us.

I think anyone who stays at the top of that particular game, for as long as he did, is a remarkable talent (my ex wife and current girlfriend both worked in radio) and to do so he must have made a lot of people happy, or at least helped get them through the day.

This isn’t North Korea, no **** was forced to listen to him, and anyone who didn’t like him was perfectly at liberty to listen to something else.

He spent half a decade doing something he clearly loved, was very well rewarded for so doing, brightened many people’s days up along the way, and was clearly dearly loved by those he worked alongside. I would say that was a life very well lived.

RIP.
Half a century even ;)

He was an inoffensive DJ. The whole format then amounted to some music in between brain dead conversation.

Actually that was his only fault talking over the records that I remember, used to like him back in the 80s but as with much BBC stuff I moved onto other radio stations
But all DJs do/did that.

I think it’s them trying to prove how fucking clever they are, by shutting up, just as the lyrics start.

It’s fucking annoying!

Ha, tbf, you’re right about that! Yes, he was like all the other daytime jocks in that sense.

Re the team thing, I’d say you’re being a tad harsh - it’s a genuine skill to talent spot and surround yourself by people with ideas, and to be able to select the right content to air. Apparently he actually did put a fair few hours in behind the scenes - his main show was 15 hours a week on air.

A boss of mine said to me once, I know I’m doing my job well when I don’t have to do anything (because everyone else in the organisation was doing their job properly). I didn’t particularly like hearing it at the time though, esp when I knew what his salary was ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.