Steve Wright DJ RIP

100% with you on your DJ preferences.

Even though we share a surname Gary Davies is pure pants, whereas Simon Bates (the Golden Hour and Our tune) was brilliant, and then came Steve Wright.
Maybe i just had the wrong idea about what a radio station was meant to be about
I just wanted to listen to music all day not some twat going on about his farm and latest additional animals to it (Bates) or listening to fucking geese noises with someone shouting "get the geese off" every afternoon.... i was in a shit factory job having just left school in 79 and had to put up with Radio 1 all fucking day just hoping that at least one in every 10 songs would be bearable in-between banal chat and twats ringing up saying "hello to Sam, Jayne, Steve in accounts and.everyone else that knows me...."

Folk paying.tribute saying it was the golden age of radio / pop music blah blah.
It was the pirate stations that were the top stations. It was about the music not the bloke putting the records on.

I'm not saying Steve Wright wasn't good at what he did, clearly he was, and many folk enjoyed it but it just wasn't my thing and the music that he constantly played, said nothing to me about my life.

Serious jockin was a once a week 1 hour thing, on a Friday if I remember correctly.
It was done very much tongue in cheek, and i have toplenty texted in with puns, etc. Everyone seemed to be having a good time, and he played plenty of belting tunes.
To pick this out just to slag him off is a little bit distasteful, given his career and the respect he clearly had amongst his colleagues.
I remember him as being a great presenter, not afraid to innovate, and a decent human. I struggle to think why anyone would consider him a prick, let alone a day after his passing
Maybe im old fashioned, but I have to agree it is very poor taste imo, after someone's death sometimes it's best to say nothing if you can't say something nice or respectful.

Last edited:
Serious jockin was a once a week 1 hour thing, on a Friday if I remember correctly.
It was done very much tongue in cheek, and plenty texted in with puns, etc. Everyone seemed to be having a good time, and he played plenty of belting tunes.
To pick this out just to slag him off is a little bit distasteful, given his career and the respect he clearly had amongst his colleagues.
I remember him as being a great presenter, not afraid to innovate, and a decent human. I struggle to think why anyone would consider him a prick, let alone a day after his passing
Have to agree with this. Maybe I’m being a bit biased because I liked him but I remember that thread from 2017 and it just felt like a pile on with posters trying to outdo each other. If his presenting style wasn’t your cup of tea, that’s fine, but if the worst thing anyone on here can level at him was to throw a bit of a paddy over something Morrissey did in 1986 then he can’t have been too much of a ****.

Have to agree with this. Maybe I’m being a bit biased because I liked him but I remember that thread from 2017 and it just felt like a pile on with posters trying to outdo each other. If his presenting style wasn’t your cup of tea, that’s fine, but if the worst thing anyone on here can level at him was to throw a bit of a paddy over something Morrissey did in 1986 then he can’t have been too much of a ****.
Spot on.
Let's also remember that mozza has the driest sense of humour known to man, I love him for that. He could be accused, at times, of causing controversy for his own amusement. A trait I find attractive.
Steve however, was more of an off the cuff anarchic character, also to be admired I feel.
It's perfectly possible to like both of these people, in fact in my case, it's quite easy.

Maybe i just had the wrong idea about what a radio station was meant to be about
I just wanted to listen to music all day not some twat going on about his farm and latest additional animals to it (Bates) or listening to fucking geese noises with someone shouting "get the geese off" every afternoon.... i was in a shit factory job having just left school in 79 and had to put up with Radio 1 all fucking day just hoping that at least one in every 10 songs would be bearable in-between banal chat and twats ringing up saying "hello to Sam, Jayne, Steve in accounts and.everyone else that knows me...."

Folk paying.tribute saying it was the golden age of radio / pop music blah blah.
It was the pirate stations that were the top stations. It was about the music not the bloke putting the records on.

I'm not saying Steve Wright wasn't good at what he did, clearly he was, and many folk enjoyed it but it just wasn't my thing and the music that he constantly played, said nothing to me about my life.
I grew up listening to peel, and also Luxembourg. Introduced me to many a band that I'd never have been aware of, I'm grateful for that.
But for me, that was for after work, or earlier, school. When I could really listen and give every track full attention, and be ready to press record.
Daytime radio was a different thing. I wanted to be entertained. I loved Steve in the afternoon, because of the daft humour, and of course the chart hits at the time, which not all of which were shite. I still love decently made pop.
Would I want to listen to joy divisions new single at one in the afternoon? No.
Would I want it at 11pm on my transistor aged 12 having a crafty fag out my bedroom window, absolutely.
Horses for courses, Steve, for me, gets as much respect as Mr peel.

It might be a testimony that myself and others rushed home from school to put the back end of his radio show on rather than put the telly on .
Anyone in the early eighties who could change viewers to listeners must of had something.
And love him or hate him he had it he did it.

I could. I thought he was a prick and so did other BM posters

But why did you dislike him so much? That thread, having just skim read 4 or 5 of the pages, is Bluemoon at its worst; a thread full of reactionary posters (mostly) slagging something (in this case Steve Wright) off, for no apparent reason. Most posts just saying variations on they don’t like him.

Unless there’s something about him in the background of which I’m not yet aware, I’ll continue to hold the view he was a positive presence on the radio, with a decent taste in music too.

I didn’t want to listen to music that said something to me about my life. I didn’t want music that reminded me about my life. I wanted music that transported me to another place.
I guess we all want different things out of music.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.