stoke away in the seventies

I remember 1978 City had loads in their end I was stood in the open end watching the two sets of fans in a stand off. City fans to the left with Stoke fans in the middle, a bit of a scuffle and then the police stepped in to move the City fans out. Instead of being marched round the edge of the pitch City fans walked accross it encouraging the fans in our end to join in, a few did but the police managed to get them squeezed into our end. I think we won the game 1-0.

fa cup mid seventies;think it was 1976;a night match at the victoria ground;loads of blues on the old football special.-think we lost that game 1- 0 or 2-0.-was on that coach going to charlton in 84;got as far as rosenthorpe service station;after meeting stoke going to london.;still never been to charltons own ground.

My earliest memory regarding Stoke away game mid sixties, albeit very sad, was City fans goading the Police about the very topical Harry Roberts. Very sad times, but the beginning of a 'Golden Age' for City. Pulled a few planks from the back of the Boothen end(not me personally). Uptil now always thought it was the Boothroyden End(how time plays havoc with the old brain cells). Anyone out there remember the same?

strongbowholic said:
I was at the fancy dress game, but I'm sure it was a Boxing Day?

I remember a huge banana being carried in by about 4 or 5 lads and the steward saying "hahaha! That's big enough to have someone in side!" and when they got inside, of course, another Blue popped out of the banana! Remember it being wild before and after the game and being chased back to the car park. The sight of Adolf Hitler and Orville the Duck trading blows with some clayheads will live with me forever.

love this post, especially the last bit about hitler and orville the duck. class.

There were a few times we took huge followings to Stoke in the 70s. Xmas 71 may be the one the fanzine is referring to, officially 43k were there according to MCFCstats- I didn't go to that match but mates who did go said they'd never seen such a big City following. We also took big numbers in 76/77 when we were chasing the title, about 15k I'd say.

lancs blue said:
There were a few times we took huge followings to Stoke in the 70s. Xmas 71 may be the one the fanzine is referring to, officially 43k were there according to MCFCstats- I didn't go to that match but mates who did go said they'd never seen such a big City following. We also took big numbers in 76/77 when we were chasing the title, about 15k I'd say.

If thats the one I went to we won 3 - 1 - and Summerbee sat on the ball as we were battering them football wise.

black mamba said:
metsoblue said:
any one remember a game in the eighties div 2 think it was new years day loads of inflatables and fancy dress. we had bertie biggins playing for us we filled all down one side and behind goal as well, remember two blues trying to get in dressed in panto horse with one ticket police laughed that much they let them in

I was at that game ....... 12,000 of us were there , but we lost 1-3

i had a 'vicar' sat to my left .. and a 'roman gladiator' sat in front!

I remember that one well...26/12/1989. Gleghorn (who went on to become a Stoke legend) put you 1-0 up but then the mighty Stoke roared back and trounced you 3-1. A brill day even though there was a bit of rowing.

One of you lot ran on the pitch when you scored and he got nicked...I think he may have been a Pirate???

edit date = 26/12/1988

Tbilisi said:
lancs blue said:

If thats the one I went to we won 3 - 1 - and Summerbee sat on the ball as we were battering them football wise.

Yes, the 3-1 is the one in 71.

Went to Port Vale V City in a pre Season Friendly in 1971 . Battlening all day with hundreds of Stoke fans .The end we went in was full of them & it was a battle just to get to the other Blues .No segregation or many Police in them days

Went to the first Trevor Francis game he was class,just a pity we were too skint to keep him; The fancy dress game in 89,we were in a pub near the ground and the landlord was telling us how he was taking more over the bar than Christmas eve ,when we saw the cigarette machine being carried down the road from the window.The look on his face was priceless.As a side note any one remember the free interior decorating job at Adrian Heath's wine bar "Inchies"?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.