Stoke - the tipping point

grim up north said:
Think RM has a bit of a problem with Stoke at their place, if he can get that monkey of his back think we will ok

If I remember rightly, the score in both games (league and FAC) at their place last years was 1-1 after 90 minutes. In the FAC game, we played them off the park for the first half and then seemed to go off the boil, and they did us in extra time. The league game they scored late on and thought they'd won it, and we scored even later to save a point.

That said, I'm not sure how much we can use recent history as a guide to form this year. We have had problems in recent years away at West Brom and Wigan and even Fulham, where we have won this season with some style. Sunderland away and Wovles away have generally been happy hunting grounds, but this season we have come away from both empty handed.

I know we should try and get away from the "typical; City" tag, but after the Fulham display I fear the worse.

Can the Doctor prescribe anything to take away these irrational fears or after 40 years of support am I destined for the nut house?

i think this one will depend on the strength of the referee, since mr pulis become totally iratte about the officials he has got nine points out of nine, last season in the cup was a total cock up by city and the ref, stoke will try and play to their strengths high balls and very physical, if city play micah richards we will lose? every manager knows where our main weakness is, even mick mccarthy sussed that out by putting jarvis against him?

I think people are forgetting how Stoke have progressed. They still utilise the free kick, long throws and set plays like an Allardyce team, but they also play football the right way when possible. When they are playing at their best it is on the ground, out to the wide players who then play balls into the box. We need to concentrate on ourselves and playing our game and we can get a result. Both confident teams so lets hope we beat them.

Alright lads, Stoke fan in peace...

Terrific performance from your lot yesterday, especially first half. Probably some of the best quality high-tempo, passing football seen in The Prem this season matched to a potent goal scoring threat.

Not taking anything away from you guys but Fulham didn't close the space or battle with any great conviction so you had total freedom of SW6 but you did what you did very comfortably. Fair play.

I think you're right to feel confident about your chances against us on Saturday provided Mr Mancini approaches the game in the same confident, positive manner. However, if he tinkers in an attempt to negate Stoke he'll be playing into our hands, unneccessarily in my opinion.

Stoke are a team in transition at the moment between the ultra long ball (which has served its purpose) and a more mixed style with two wingers and two holding CM's. We can look good (Liverpool) and we can look poor but the one thing we always manage is to make life awkward for passing sides. So, who knows...

On a bitterly cold Britannia afternoon in front of 25,000 slavering Stokies we do have the 12th man effect - any one of you who was there our 1st season will remember the response to Delap's dismissal.

So, here's to a cracking blood and thunder game of proper English football, should be a good 'un.

All the best,

ruts

mancunial said:
i think this one will depend on the strength of the referee, since mr pulis become totally iratte about the officials he has got nine points out of nine, last season in the cup was a total cock up by city and the ref, stoke will try and play to their strengths high balls and very physical, if city play micah richards we will lose? every manager knows where our main weakness is, even mick mccarthy sussed that out by putting jarvis against him?

I'm not even close to Richards' biggest fan but I think his aerial ability could come in very handy and with Zabaleta out I'd play Micah, I don't like Boateng at full back, he stands off too much.

ruts66 said:
Alright lads, Stoke fan in peace...

Terrific performance from your lot yesterday, especially first half. Probably some of the best quality high-tempo, passing football seen in The Prem this season matched to a potent goal scoring threat.

Not taking anything away from you guys but Fulham didn't close the space or battle with any great conviction so you had total freedom of SW6 but you did what you did very comfortably. Fair play.

I think you're right to feel confident about your chances against us on Saturday provided Mr Mancini approaches the game in the same confident, positive manner. However, if he tinkers in an attempt to negate Stoke he'll be playing into our hands, unneccessarily in my opinion.

Stoke are a team in transition at the moment between the ultra long ball (which has served its purpose) and a more mixed style with two wingers and two holding CM's. We can look good (Liverpool) and we can look poor but the one thing we always manage is to make life awkward for passing sides. So, who knows...

On a bitterly cold Britannia afternoon in front of 25,000 slavering Stokies we do have the 12th man effect - any one of you who was there our 1st season will remember the response to Delap's dismissal.

So, here's to a cracking blood and thunder game of proper English football, should be a good 'un.

All the best,

ruts
Welcome to Bluemoon. What's the news on Pennant? Will Tuncay replace him? I do like Tuncay, a good footballer. I suppose you'd be happy if Stoke were to evolve in the same way Owen Colye's Bolton has.

I think at last we have the physicality with Yaya,De Jong and Barry/Milner to face your lot. Upfront we will probably start with Tevez and Balotelli. They are a right handful.

Hopefully the ref will have a good game. Looking forward to it!

Can't see Pennant making the squad for Saturday - hamstrings and zero degree temperatures never a good idea. Shame, as we look nicely balanced with him and Ethers on the flanks.

Not sure whether Pulis will drop Tuncay in as a straight replacement (like he did after 10 mins at WBA) or use Walters who will run all day but doesn't have anything like the guile.

Second guessing a Pulis starting eleven at the best of times is crystal ball stuff. Just when you think we've got an eleven together he usually does something that gets heads scratching.

My guess is we'll revert to a more conventional Stoke approach for this one and put a bit of snow on the ball to see if we can rattle you. We could no more outpass your lot than turn up wearing cosy snoods and mittens... ;-)

Owen Coyle has got Bolton playing well. Elmander has finally decided he wants to be a footballer so Davies now has some proper company up front. What impressed me most when we went there a few weeks back is how they stood up to the physical challenge and gave as good as they got. Then they tonked Spurs with some good stuff on the deck. Definitely got a shot at a Europa spot.

Agree with your final point about the ref. Let's hope he's utterly anonymous, whichever t**t it is...

We don't want to let Stoke come anywhere near our penalty area , that's for sure .......

they got enough penalties on Saturday to last them for a month!

Already prepared for a jammy 2 yarder from Fuller, other than that wouldn't be upset with a draw and Balo getting out of there without being sent off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.