Stones & Dias Partnership

Because we don’t have a left footed left back.

Pep is all about balance. 2 right footed CB’s and a right footed LB and LW. Noway he’d have that.

Personally think they should be starting every game at CB when they are fit.

Absolutely fucking pony decision by the transfer lot to not sign a quality left back this summer. As bad as letting Kompany go and not replacing him for 12 months.

This is absolutely true (I'm fully expecting a Maguire renaissance at the world cup followed by widespread confusion when the form doesn't continue afterwards) but I think, except for the left foot/right foot thing, Dias is his most natural partner at the club, because they're the most different so they offer different things.
Stones could be Paolo Maldini and he couldnt make that tub of lard look good.

Stones could be Paolo Maldini and he couldnt make that tub of lard look good.
I think Maguire often looks decent for England. With the protection of a relatively stable defensive structure, a defensively minded central midfield, a settled CB partnership with Stones and the backing of a manager who believes in him, he's pretty good. Not fantastic, not a world-beater, but good enough that I get why he keeps being picked.

I think Maguire often looks decent for England. With the protection of a relatively stable defensive structure, a defensively minded central midfield, a settled CB partnership with Stones and the backing of a manager who believes in him, he's pretty good. Not fantastic, not a world-beater, but good enough that I get why he keeps being picked.
International football - slower, playing deeper, less of a press due to the heat etc - also doesn't hurt.

I thought it was interesting that Laporte was paired with Rodri in defence for the recent Spain vs Germany game. I will be hoping to see more of this defensive partnership during the World Cup to determine how effective it is and whether it could be replicated at City as I could easily see Rodri moving into defence permanently with us at some stage during his career as his 'pace' reduces and plus significant injuries to other team mates might require further cover.

It would also injuries to enable Phillips to play more regularly too as he recovers from his shoulder operation and requires more game time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.