Stop the 4-2-2-2 and go with a three man midfield, PLEASE!!!

NipHolmes

This is where we are going wrong in my opinion.
I have multiple issues and I'll try to be succinct in my o.p.

The 4-2-2-2 is too open and our back-line is ever changing. We need to go with three midfielders rather than the two, it is a must.
Fernando holding with Fernandinho and Yaya ahead of him is key. For games where we need to press heavily I'd centralise Milner and couple with Navas.

Our left side is our weakness and Fernandinho on the left side of the three in front of Kolarov and behind Silva is ideal, we will shut that channel down. Yaya in a floating role with Navas/Milner covering him whilst also covering the advanced right sided forward role. Aguero central on his own.

We need a solid run of Kolarov, Mangala, Kompany and Zab as a unit. Consistency breeds trust and confidence, my example would be Pardew's peak Newcastle that a unit of average players who performed supremely, purely by playing as a settled back four, as soon as injuries kicked in they went to pot but they are imo one of the best examples of what a bonus a settled backline is. We rotate too much in defense and it's undoing us no end. We are suffering from counters still and have done since Mancini days and that for me is why the two Ferns are so crucial. IMO any premium line up of ours starts with Mangala, Kompany, Fernando and Fernandinho, defensively solid, powerful and quick. They will develop as a unit I am sure but we must pick the four whenever possible. I know squad harmony is a big deal but results and consistency is what we need so for me we drop a striker and do a Chelsea by building around the midfield. A three man midfield is an absolute must and we will continue to suffer if we persevere with just two.

To close I'd also like to see Willy get a run of games to see how he can do for us, his distribution would help us no end.

Take care blues.

Re: Stop the 4-2-2-2 and go with a three man midfield, PLEAS

Perfectly put

Cheers Stavros.

Our problems are more than tonight, but we the armoury we possess at our disposal allows us to make such changes. We just need a change of approach, we may lose some attacking edge but our team would retain control and more solid, thus harder to beat.
It is undeniable to say we have a soft underbelly and we hate people getting at us through the middle at speed. We are shoe-horning players into a soft system due to their quality, sometimes less is more..

We would be playing a 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 formation as such, the two Ferns being our engine, freeing up Yaya to do what he does best.

Pellegrini did this with Malaga when they played Dortmund in my personal game of the Champions League 12/13. He was mighty unlucky that game, Isco was wonderful in what would be Yaya's role. Pellegrini showed it's possible and did so with a much inferior side to the one we are.

Does the fans eagerness to find a new 'weak spot' damage the club in any way (via the media etc)?

once it was centre half, then left back, then centre mid, wings were once the call, then it was up front at the beginning of the season and now it's the entire left side.

you have to admit that we're finding faults wherever we can. It's good to strive for more and look to ever improve but perhaps, as a group of fans, we take it a touch to far with our criticisms sometimes?

There have been numerous threads and posts stating the same over the past few months.We,as fans,can see it,so why cant the manager?

We have the players that suit that system,it plays to our strengths,its so fucking frustrating that we are throwing games away when it need not happen.

Pellers has always used the two up-top throughout is career, (the only exception his stint at Real where it wasn't plausible). There's a video on YouTube somewhere of his explaining his tactics for different games, give us a couple of minutes and I'll find it. I totally agree with the OP, a 3man midfield is a must in Europe and the big league games.

shemnel said:
Does the fans eagerness to find a new 'weak spot' damage the club in any way (via the media etc)?

once it was centre half, then left back, then centre mid, wings were once the call, then it was up front at the beginning of the season and now it's the entire left side.

you have to admit that we're finding faults wherever we can. It's good to strive for more and look to ever improve but perhaps, as a group of fans, we take it a touch to far with our criticisms sometimes?

We have been vulnerable on our left side for a few years now.

We are susceptible to counters and we are overan in midfield, especially with Yaya and Fernandinho, the latter does the dog work of two. We are also restricting Fernandinho too, he is a adept going forward and we need to be able to free him up.

For me, we have to build an engine and we need to build around our best players. Silva, Yaya and Kun need a license to do damage, we simply need to free them up more but shore us up in the process. We play our attacks and overload opponents but a breakaway counter does us a kipper. Sometimes we play against 3 man midfields and we concede control and invite pressure, examples Liverpool, Barca and Bayern.

I'm not trying to be ultra-critical but offering constructive criticism to what are imo, glaring holes in the team as a whole. What is positive, is that it doesn't cost money to fix our problems. We just utilise what we already have, we simply drop a striker for a midfielder like many of our European rivals do. Fernando for Dzeko on the team sheet is all I am essentially getting at and a change of formation to suit his inclusion.

NipHolmes said:
shemnel said:

We have been vulnerable on our left side for a few years now.

We are susceptible to counters and we are overan in midfield, especially with Yaya and Fernandinho, the latter does the dog work of two. We are also restricting Fernandinho too, he is a adept going forward and we need to be able to free him up.

For me, we have to build an engine and we need to build around our best players. Silva, Yaya and Kun need a license to do damage, we simply need to free them up more but shore us up in the process. We play our attacks and overload opponents but a breakaway counter does us a kipper. Sometimes we play against 3 man midfields and we concede control and invite pressure, examples Liverpool, Barca and Bayern.

I'm not trying to be ultra-critical but offering constructive criticism to what are imo, glaring holes in the team as a whole. What is positive, is taht it doesn't cost money to utilise what we already have, we simply drop a striker for a midfielder like many of our European rivals do.

yeah, im all for changing stuff if it's not going right. And i actually agree that the left side has probably been the weaker side for the last 2 seasons, but weaker being a relative term.

I think the fact that we can say we have an entire weak left side, 'a dodgy keeper', shortage up front, a work shy midfield, ever changing centre halves and no work ethic and STILL win 2 of the last 3 leagues seasons (plus a league cup) shows we're definitely not talking about impending doom here.

All im saying is that time, patience and a few tweaks are needed to reach another, perhaps more reliable level. And i think you're hinting at the same point.

fully agree that the manager has to change his system

tonight with the players available i would have started this 11

Hart

zabba kompany mangala clichy

ferd ferna

jovetic yaya silva

aguero

you could maybe argue navas instead of jovetic but against teams that pack their defense and sit deep the intricut passing of jovetic is better as navas is nullified somewhat by teams that do this

clichy over kolorov every time for me.....people seem to think because kolorov has improved hi s defensive performances that he is now better than clichy but imho that is completely wrong...from a defensive point of view he is still extremely weak...he was targeted tonight for that reason and a lot of their chances came from his area....at least clichy can defend and attempts recovery runs when the ball goes past him better than AK (whose crossing and distrubutiion were shocking tonight

having both ferd and ferna in their frees yaya up and silva.....but this relies on these to be very disciplined

aguero we know can be the loan fron man but he would have jovetic and yaya and silva for support as well

HOWEVER will MP change.....like Mancini I dont think he will...too stubborn/wont admit he has got it wrong despite continuous poor performances and statements to the contrary when lots of people and pundits were calling this before tonights game and before other big games this season where he has failed

There are NO excuses about poor ref, stadium, cold etc etc etc....I could see it happening and so could the blue that was sat next to me in the pub ( a generation older than me)....I knew what would happen as soon as I saw the team sheet....we were poor before we scored and poor after that period of about 15-20mins......

our constant weakness is huge gaps infront of our back 4 which Kompany then gets drawn into...and the space in behind our left full back when Kolorov plays

The passing is too slow (milner is a huge culprit at this and is totally found wanting outisde of the premiership)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.