"Stop the Boats"

No problem, the micro chip was supposed to take jobs, female equality was supposed to boost the working classes, the loss of industry reduced jobs, right across the country you will see empty banks and shops, and we will see more, those that say we do not have enough people to fill all the jobs, are miss using the data, of some of the towns around Manchester there is 40% unemployment.
Not enough tax contributions? these people are coming for a better life, that includes housing, unemployment benefit, places at the doctors, medicine,policing,and schooling, paying our taxes might apply to the Polish, but the others take far more than they put in.
I have always said we should take up the Australian system of immigration, but we will not, and for all the talk Britain population goes up

I hear a lot about this mythical Australian system but I didn’t really get what it meant in practice. So I looked up some information on it to become more informed.

There is no cap in their system, people don’t require a job offer to enter and their net migration per capita is more than double our own.

Sounds great.

An Australian system doesn’t guarantee lower migration or more skilled migration. It depends entirely on how the system is designed. So just saying an “Australian immigration system” by itself means very little. If we implemented their system exactly like-for-like then 700k net migration would look like small change.

I don’t get this at all. It feels like Brexit where people just say buzz words and ask for things without really thinking them through in any actual detail.

I hear a lot about this mythical Australian system but I didn’t really get what it meant in practice. So I looked up some information on it to become more informed.

There is no cap in their system, people don’t require a job offer to enter and their net migration per capita is more than double our own.

Sounds great.

An Australian system doesn’t guarantee lower migration or more skilled migration. It depends entirely on how the system is designed. So just saying an “Australian immigration system” by itself means very little. If we implemented their system exactly like-for-like then 700k net migration would look like small change.

I don’t get this at all. It feels like Brexit where people just say buzz words and ask for things without really thinking them through in any actual detail.
A lot of the 'success' of the Australian system is due to geographical factors - it's a fucking long way from anywhere.

Making up facts to fit your own prejudices. Deciding which immigrants pay tax and which don’t.
Wny do you bother replying to my posts,when it is always nothing but insults?. But my prejudices are based on my experiences. such as the huge rise in HMO`s and the Polish i know all going home after Brexit, plus what i said in my first post, at times last year 30% of the births in Britain were from foreign mothers. You do understand what that means don`t you?

Sounds great.

You might be right, my understanding of the Australian system is, they bring in only the trades they need, how many is unimportant in a country that is vastly under populated compared to Britain.

Sounds great.

Australia creates its own demand too because people want to live and work there. Working conditions are fairly similar to Europe, the lifestyle is great and the climate is so varied given the choice across the country. I've certainly considered it myself. It's also geographically a haven for the much poorer countries in Asia and despite the distance it has easy connections to the US.

The UK does not create its own demand by default. Pay and conditions here can be decent but they're not better than Europe. We also have crap weather and the lifestyle is pretty shoddy. I won't build it up but for anybody who may come from a remotely warmer and sunny place it will just be miserable here.

Nobody is going to choose to live in the UK when they can live in much better conditions in France or Germany. The only reason to come here really is money and that's about it.

However, one other major reason to come to the UK is family and no points system can do anything about that.

Last edited:
Australia creates its own demand too because people want to live and work there. Working conditions are fairly similar to Europe and the lifestyle is great, I've certainly considered it myself. It's also geographically a haven for the much poorer countries in Asia and despite the distance it has easy connections to the US.

The UK does not create its own demand by default. Pay and conditions here can be decent but they're not better than Europe. We also have crap weather and the lifestyle is pretty shoddy.

We have no real strong sectors of note except finance where the job market I'm sure is saturated so it's hard to understand who would choose to come here and why. Nobody is going to choose to live in the UK when they can live in much better conditions in France or Germany. The only reason to come here really is money and that's about it.

However, one other major reason to come to the UK is family and no points system is going to do anything about that.

Family and language are the two main reasons for the UK. Our colonial past is a factor and we are pretty good at integrating migrants. Germany has the highest migrant population in terms of numbers, but I think Switzerland has the highest in terms of percentage of population at 26%. Around 40% of the Swiss population has a migrant background.

Deaths have exceeded births in Germany for the last few decades, so it will keep attracting migrants through necessity. Same with the UK. Our birth rate has been declining since 2010 and 2024 so far has shown a decline of 0.85% from 2023.

Arguably, Switzerland is where the rest of Europe will be in terms of migrant/ethnic mix over the next two decades. That includes the UK.

You have two competing forces. People reluctant to accept necessary immigration levels vs having no choice but to accept necessary immigration levels. Everything else is just howling at the moon.

A lot of the 'success' of the Australian system is due to geographical factors - it's a fucking long way from anywhere.

Nobody really discusses where these migrants are coming from? We are in effect stealing young people from the countries and from whatever profession they have will leave those countries with a skill shortage.

Another fact is what happens to the multitude of migrants when they get 20 or so years older? Do we plunder their countries again so that they can support the migrants that are here from the last batch who unfortunately got older?

Less people IMHO and stop importing slaves for big business.

Nobody really discusses where these migrants are coming from? We are in effect stealing young people from the countries and from whatever profession they have will leave those countries with a skill shortage.

Another fact is what happens to the multitude of migrants when they get 20 or so years older? Do we plunder their countries again so that they can support the migrants that are here from the last batch who unfortunately got older?

If you are a millionaire in Kensington and want served in the local Costa then you need places like Grenfell tower to be stuffed with cheap labour.

Population growth in Europe is projected to fall. The declining population will increasingly skew old, so without migrants the system will collapse. The alternative is increasing the birth rate, but no matter the incentives Govts offer, women will not choose child bearing if they have more fulfilling options. Education and better healthcare decrease the birth rate.

Paradoxically, the UK penalises having more than two children, which makes no logical sense if you want to incentivise child rearing. France for example places no cap on the number of children. It seems to make little difference though.

Africa is projected to double its population by 2050 to 2.5 billion, so that is one source of migration.

People move and migrate. Always have. Always will.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.