Strike on 30th June

Our kid asked me this question yesterday:

"Some of the teachers are on strike and will be picketing the gate. Other teachers are not on strike and the school has sent out a newsletter saying that the school is open as usual.
So am I a scab, letting my kids cross a picket to line to go to school? Or should I support the strikers and not let them go on the 30th?"

I suspect he won't send them, even the intimation of being a scab is something that abhors him. I'm the same, if the truth be known.

It's a serious question though. Over to you BTH.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
BTH said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
Without being funny, there is always a strike over something its always about money and its always the public sector. Fuck the unions they trying to keep this country in the dark ages

Alas, another BMer drowning in blissful ignorance. It was the unions, together with reformers like the Suffragettes and other other enlightened individuals who sweated blood, sweat and tears to get this country out of the dark ages in the first place. Your post embarrasses you.

I wish people would stop telling me what embarrasses me on BM. Im not embarrassed mate nor would i ever be for having a view which i hold in my own right. I dont follow people i make my judgements myself, yes they conflict with other peoples but in a democratic state i am entitled to freedom of speech
You're lucky he hasn't called you a Thatcherite yet. Give it a minute or two and I'm sure you'll get the full wiff of his condescending presumptions.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
BTH said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
Without being funny, there is always a strike over something its always about money and its always the public sector. Fuck the unions they trying to keep this country in the dark ages

Alas, another BMer drowning in blissful ignorance. It was the unions, together with reformers like the Suffragettes and other other enlightened individuals who sweated blood, sweat and tears to get this country out of the dark ages in the first place. Your post embarrasses you.

I wish people would stop telling me what embarrasses me on BM. Im not embarrassed mate nor would i ever be for having a view which i hold in my own right. I dont follow people i make my judgements myself, yes they conflict with other peoples but in a democratic state i am entitled to freedom of speech

You might not be embarrassed and, of course, you are entitled to freedom of speech. However, judgments/views that are borne out of ignorance don't necessarily mean that freedom of speech is a good thing.

As for a democratic state... that's another argument altogether.

kronkonite said:
well osborne and alexander are antagonising the fuck out of us so that they can blame their failed economic policies on the unions

I do hope the public and private sectors can unite against their dickish strategies

You put it so well

When did everyone on bluemoon become an economic mastermind. Its the same thing in the media. 1 bloke says its good another says its bad. Does anyone truly know the best way?
Its an honest question because i believe whatever happens damned if you do and your damned if you dont. The country is on its knees finacially and i dont think anyone has the right answer.

dell74 said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
BTH said:

You're lucky he hasn't called you a Thatcherite yet. Give it a minute or two and I'm sure you'll get the full wiff of his condescending presumptions.

I think the presumptuous one here is the poster I responded to, with their own ill-thought out presumption. Don't you???

bluemonday said:

"Some of the teachers are on strike and will be picketing the gate. Other teachers are not on strike and the school has sent out a newsletter saying that the school is open as usual.
So am I a scab, letting my kids cross a picket to line to go to school? Or should I support the strikers and not let them go on the 30th?"

I suspect he won't send them, even the intimation of being a scab is something that abhors him. I'm the same, if the truth be known.

If the school is open you have to send the munchkins by law, not your choice.

tueartsboots said:
bluemonday said:

If the school is open you have to send the munchkins by law, not your choice.

Even if that makes you a traitor?

bluemonday said:

It's a tough one to answer. They're his/her children, they could hardly be described as being "scabs" and no-one would begrudge a child their schooling should it be available.

However, and this is purely hypothetical, would it not be an idea for your kid to have a day off work and take their children to an art gallery and/or one of the several museums in Manchester or Salford or wherever they live on an educational visit, given the last Labour government made them free to enter?

It might be their last chance before Cameron's swingeing axe falls on these too, given that they are staffed by public sector workers.

BTH said:
bluemonday said:

It's a tough one to answer. They're his/her children, they could hardly be described as being "scabs" and no-one would begrudge a child their schooling should it be available.

However, and this is purely hypothetical, would it not be an idea for your kid to have a day off work and take their children to an art gallery and/or one of the several museums in Manchester or Salford or wherever they live on an educational visit, given the last Labour government made them free to enter?

It might be their last chance before Cameron's swingeing axe falls on these too, given that they are staffed by public sector workers.

It might be an idea to let your kids miss a day of their education for some ill thought out pricipals you may have.

But it would be a shit one.

BTH said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
cyberblue said:
This thread wen a bit of course ther eis still a strike on the 30th

^ I agree with this in the context of the historical significance of the union movement and the suffragettes. No-one can deny that capitalism needs an ongoing nudge in the right direction.

But the levels of public spending under the last goverment were unaffordable and unsustainable.

Can somebody PLEASE explain to me why after 17 years of uninterupted growth we had a systemic deficit to the extent we did.

Honestly, if anyone can properly explain it I won't post on this subject for a month.

Surely that's enough of a carrot.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.