Style of football / Mancini's tactics {merged}

Re: Mancini's tactics

GStar said:
I think he's showing the numpites around City that keep calling us 'too defensive' that you don't win games by throwing on a load of attacking players and watch them run around.

nail on the head.

More accurate crosses, corners, and passes (in general) in the final third and we would have no problems.

We have to find a plan b when the opposition parks the bus once they've scored. It just made things very easy for Dicky and co who were able to croud things out in the middle and stop our play.

It astounds me why we didn't switch to 442 with Johnnson on the left and if Silva isn't a natural winger then bring on Milner who would have given it a real go against his old club. Its silly when you have just bought a 6' 3" player know for his heading along with his footwork you don't use it, in a similar way that bent Harry does at Spurs we need to things that little bit different.

My only criticism is that I wish we wouldnt play at such a slow tempo for the first 20mins. If we'd been a touch more direct early on I dont think they would have been able to handle us. I'm not saying we should lump long balls forward, just step up the tempo. We're at our best when we flood forward quickly. All of the possession stuff in our half just gives them time to sort out their defense. And without an incisive passer in our midfield we're always going to struggle once they've got 10 men behind the ball.

Mad Mario said:
not a mancini out thread before i get slated!

our style of play allows us to scrape through games and also dominate some. but surely we need to have another style when needed?

it was obvious after 60 mins things werent going to plan, his subs were positive and understandable, but we still played with the same tempo and direction.

arsenal, chelsea and united are all able to change their style, but we seem reluctant.

On another note the two wing backs are starting to show us what they can do.

Yesterday we plated the right style of football. We should play like that in every single game. HOWEVER, it needs to be in x2! We need sharper movement and crisper passing from the first whistle until the last. Sometimes we play the right style but at such a slow pace that it's easy to defend against and easy for the opposition to get set up in their defensive set up.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
you have to give credit to Villa for defending superbly, they stook to their task really well and deserved it in a way because they really did do what they needed to.

I don't think we played that badly, we passed it around pretty well but we could never translate that into real clear cut chances. Villa were very deep and we just ended up playing in front of them for 70 minutes, without really making much happen.

We need to iron out these defensive issues, once again Hart has spilt a shot he needed to deal with better, I really do think that unless he's imminently going that Shay deserves a run of games. Kolarov is looking ever more impressive and I think we have a gem there 2bh, he just needs time. Boateng is further behind but I think he needs time and a proper pre-season with us and just more time to get used to the league.

At centre back I think Vinnie is on his own. He is a step above any other centre back we have, and I think we need to invest in this area. Kolo is decent but not tall, so set pieces are a problem, but he would be good as a back-up, but as a long term centre back partner for Vinnie? with his age and limitations I don't see it. Lescott is inconsistant and lacks the real quality, so I think he should make way and we should bring in a top quality CB partner for Vinnie and give them time to gel together. Keep Boyata as the #4 for now, or maybe send him out on loan and let Boateng show his versatility.

In midfield I think we are weak, because our only back-up is Vieira. I think we need to move to the point where players like Barry and Milner are squad players and not relied on to be key first teamers. I think we need a top quality central midfielder, a creator who can unlock defenses from 30 yards away from the box, who can draw players out to him and leave gaps for others to exploit. At the moment defences can stick 8 men behind the ball knowing that Barry and De Jong don't have the technical ability to unlock them, and Silva gets crowded out around the edge of the box. So we really do need 1 or 2 centre mids to really strengthen that area. Convert Milner as he's not a winger and Barry is getting on a bit and I think should only have a year or so left at the club 2bh.

In terms of wingers, well we never really use any pace or width which is a limitation imo. We need guys who can draw fullbacks out but also beat them. Neither Kolarov or Boateng are that quick and the only other winger we have is AJ, however a) he plays on the right and b) he isn't quick. AJ isn't Messi but he's stuck on the right constantly and he's just expected to dribble past everyone all the time and make things happen, where sometimes he'd just be better stuck on the left pinging balls in for Dzeko, instead of Dzeko drifting out to the left and pinging balls in to sweet fuck all.

Carlos and Silva are tending to drop too deep, and I think that needs to be rectified because we need to push up the pitch, not the other way around. They are both great players though and need to be playing as often as possible.

I think there's an issue where Mancini does not really seem to trust the defence completely yet and so plays Barry and De Jong, and I think we need to move to just 1 sitter in midfield and move to a more Barca model of team pressing when we don't have the ball, 5 back and 5 forward, and 3 of those forwards prepared to run back if needed, but for that you need a bit of pace.

We can play beautiful football, it's just little mistakes and the limitations of certain players in certain formations, it's a difficult balancing act but unfortunately I think we need a summer of investment as a Champions League team, buying Champions League players. There's several players in the first team that I think should be bench players for a top 4 team, and some on the bench/play occassionally that should not be near a top 4 squad.

I think we're 1 more summer away from really getting it right, 1 more year. I think we will finish in the top 4, and the improvements are there to see. Mancini is doing well, but I think he needs to find a plan B, and realise that some players he's willing to stick by might just not be good enough. It's a problem that he doesn't seem to get on with certain players Hughes bought in the same way Hughes didn't get on with anybody that Sven bought.

I think maybe some people got a bit carried away with being up at the top, I don't think we're ready. We might already have a better squad, but they have the cast-iron mentality and knowledge of how to regularly win these trophies. We have to be that much better than them on the pitch to make up for it, and just at the moment I don't think we're quite there yet, but the signs are there that we are not far away.

We are going to lose sometimes, it's inevitable, and I don't think we played that badly at all 2bh. The most important thing now is how we bounce back, sometimes playing a lower league team like Notts County is a perfect way to get tonight out of the system.

This. A well thought out, errudite, inoffensive, and (almost) 100% accurate post. What is this forum coming to :-)

think the style is fine its just the speed we play it thats the problem,if we pinged it about a bit quicker not many would live with us

Pingu the Penguin said:
The team lacks some pace, as a plan B. Plan A is fine and will win us a lot of games. But plan B is needed to win titles and cups.

Gareth bale would be ideal :)
yes but he wasn,t last week against munich.

he plays well on the break,when rec. the ball on the halfway line so he can get up a head of steam..he wouldn,t have made any difference y,day in the face of a disciplined villa defence.

His tactics are complex for me. Yesterday when he brought Johnson on this is what the team looked like.

------------Hart---------------
Boateng Toure Kompany Kolarov
------Y.Toure-De Jong---------
A.Johnson---Silva--------------
--------Tevez--Dzeko----------

With Tevez dropping deep as well, it left us totally unbalanced with Kolarov the nearest thing to a threat down the left (Which he did ok). With the team like this, when Kolarov was defending it forced Dzeko to go over to the left wing and left naff all up front.

I'd have brought Richards on for De Jong or Yaya and put Boateng to left-back and pushed Kolarov up to left wing.

------------Hart----------------
Richards Toure Kompany Boateng
-----------Y.Toure-------------
A.Johnson----Silva------Kolarov
---------Tevez--Dzeko---------

JoeMercer'sWay said:
you have to give credit to Villa for defending superbly, they stook to their task really well and deserved it in a way because they really did do what they needed to.

I don't think we played that badly, we passed it around pretty well but we could never translate that into real clear cut chances. Villa were very deep and we just ended up playing in front of them for 70 minutes, without really making much happen.

We need to iron out these defensive issues, once again Hart has spilt a shot he needed to deal with better, I really do think that unless he's imminently going that Shay deserves a run of games. Kolarov is looking ever more impressive and I think we have a gem there 2bh, he just needs time. Boateng is further behind but I think he needs time and a proper pre-season with us and just more time to get used to the league.

At centre back I think Vinnie is on his own. He is a step above any other centre back we have, and I think we need to invest in this area. Kolo is decent but not tall, so set pieces are a problem, but he would be good as a back-up, but as a long term centre back partner for Vinnie? with his age and limitations I don't see it. Lescott is inconsistant and lacks the real quality, so I think he should make way and we should bring in a top quality CB partner for Vinnie and give them time to gel together. Keep Boyata as the #4 for now, or maybe send him out on loan and let Boateng show his versatility.

In midfield I think we are weak, because our only back-up is Vieira. I think we need to move to the point where players like Barry and Milner are squad players and not relied on to be key first teamers. I think we need a top quality central midfielder, a creator who can unlock defenses from 30 yards away from the box, who can draw players out to him and leave gaps for others to exploit. At the moment defences can stick 8 men behind the ball knowing that Barry and De Jong don't have the technical ability to unlock them, and Silva gets crowded out around the edge of the box. So we really do need 1 or 2 centre mids to really strengthen that area. Convert Milner as he's not a winger and Barry is getting on a bit and I think should only have a year or so left at the club 2bh.

In terms of wingers, well we never really use any pace or width which is a limitation imo. We need guys who can draw fullbacks out but also beat them. Neither Kolarov or Boateng are that quick and the only other winger we have is AJ, however a) he plays on the right and b) he isn't quick. AJ isn't Messi but he's stuck on the right constantly and he's just expected to dribble past everyone all the time and make things happen, where sometimes he'd just be better stuck on the left pinging balls in for Dzeko, instead of Dzeko drifting out to the left and pinging balls in to sweet fuck all.

Carlos and Silva are tending to drop too deep, and I think that needs to be rectified because we need to push up the pitch, not the other way around. They are both great players though and need to be playing as often as possible.

I think there's an issue where Mancini does not really seem to trust the defence completely yet and so plays Barry and De Jong, and I think we need to move to just 1 sitter in midfield and move to a more Barca model of team pressing when we don't have the ball, 5 back and 5 forward, and 3 of those forwards prepared to run back if needed, but for that you need a bit of pace.

We can play beautiful football, it's just little mistakes and the limitations of certain players in certain formations, it's a difficult balancing act but unfortunately I think we need a summer of investment as a Champions League team, buying Champions League players. There's several players in the first team that I think should be bench players for a top 4 team, and some on the bench/play occassionally that should not be near a top 4 squad.

I think we're 1 more summer away from really getting it right, 1 more year. I think we will finish in the top 4, and the improvements are there to see. Mancini is doing well, but I think he needs to find a plan B, and realise that some players he's willing to stick by might just not be good enough. It's a problem that he doesn't seem to get on with certain players Hughes bought in the same way Hughes didn't get on with anybody that Sven bought.

I think maybe some people got a bit carried away with being up at the top, I don't think we're ready. We might already have a better squad, but they have the cast-iron mentality and knowledge of how to regularly win these trophies. We have to be that much better than them on the pitch to make up for it, and just at the moment I don't think we're quite there yet, but the signs are there that we are not far away.

We are going to lose sometimes, it's inevitable, and I don't think we played that badly at all 2bh. The most important thing now is how we bounce back, sometimes playing a lower league team like Notts County is a perfect way to get tonight out of the system.

I too think Boateng should eventually get a run-out as a CB, which is his preferred and, by all accounts, his best position. He's strong and fast enough (obviously no speed merchant, which often shows in his hesitancy to get forward as a fullback). To me, I think he's good at reading the game, he just has second thoughts when it comes to crosses and getting forward. I think playing as a CB where you have to go more on reactions and instincts will suit him better.

We do need another backup CM with a creative side, but a realistic one -- some people suggesting Gourcuff, Pastore, etc. to be bit-part players are being silly. We need a player, more towards the end of his career than the beginning, who knows he often won't be first choice but can still get a job done. Arsenal have this with Rosicky, Spurs have it with Kranjcar, Chelsea will eventually have it with Benayoun. I was reading the Zonal Marking, and I was taken back at the final point when it said that, aside from AJ, we really had no one off the bench who could change a game, because it was dead on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.