sunderland fans

Last year we didn't sell out QPR away. Or if we did then there were a lot of no shows for a match that cost 52 quid a ticket. Just a sign of the times with travel costs/ticket costs.

acquiesce said:
Last year we didn't sell out QPR away. Or if we did then there were a lot of no shows for a match that cost 52 quid a ticket. Just a sign of the times with travel costs/ticket costs.

qpr did sell out, lots of travel disruption of my memory is correct.

fathellensbellend said:
acquiesce said:

qpr did sell out, lots of travel disruption of my memory is correct.

Ah that's right, forgot about that. I just remember a good fifteen empty seats around me.

A few people on here have rightly praised the Sunderland fans for their reaction to City winning the league. Whilst I enjoyed seeing them give it to the red filth as much as anyone, I don't think it was their love of City that made them taunt the filth, more like the hatred for the arrogant, self righteous tossers sat in the away end that day! Fans of ANY club in the premier league if they were playing the scum that day would have reacted in a similar way. So well done Sunderland fans for mocking the filth but like I say I think any team would have done the same. Sunderland haven't got any kind of liking for City( I've encountered a few horrible bastards on my visits to Sunderland ) just a mutual hate of Man Ushited!

Yesterdays support BTW was totally understandable given the circumstances mentioned on numerous other posts on this thread!

taffy the blue said:
getting away from subject but why did the North Stand start applauding around the 19th min mark?It was nothing to do with players warming and up in CB3 nobody had a clue.

I thought it was a show of respect for Petrov (Villa)..

I thought the Sunderland fans were ok. Cant slate them for not gettin both tiers as stated. Seems like they just had the problem we have, a group of fans singin and others not joining in. I was in 109 and thought our fans were pretty good as well. Best we have been this season by far.

M18CTID said:
grim up north said:
ninjamonkey said:
Sunderland are a good set of proper fans in general. 1800 for an early kick off is respectable. Imagine if the shoe was on the other foot. Paying £50+ for a ticket, going to play a team who have an unbelievable home record, having to make a 4 hour+ coach journey at silly o'clock in the morning just to make it for kick off. Their support on the day was unusually quiet for them but they went a goal down within 5 minutes and looked like taking a hammering from the off. Plenty of times that's happened to City away and our support has gone quiet.

Lets not criticise a team who on the whole have a very good set of true football fans and are not to dissimilar to what we were like a few years ago before the success.

its a 2 hour drive it took us 2 1/2hrs in a minibus with a 60 mph limiter on.

they are more fickle than the geordies have you seen the attendances at their home games

They're no more fickle than anyone else IMO. They've always been pretty well supported from my own memory and that's going back to the 80's. In fact, when they flirted with relegation to the 3rd division in the early 90's their home crowds held up better than Newcastle's when they were in the same position at a similar time - Newcastle's home crowds dropped to as low as 10,000 whereas Sunderland's didn't.

As others have said, there's a general apathy amongst the fans of many Premier League clubs and that has been the case for some time. Sunderland have spent quite a bit of money under both Keane and Bruce over recent seasons and their fans are entitled to think they should've
achieved a bit more considering the outlay - a bit like us when Keegan got us promoted. Looking at yesterday, an early kick-off, expensive ticket price, and a match against a team that hasn't lost a home league game in almost 20 months is the perfect recipe for Sunderland fans to give the game a miss. It was the same with us pre-takeover. Wigan away in 2006 saw us take a similar amount of fans on a much shorter journey for a 4-0 thumping.

I have lived in the North East for 26 years believe me the 2 best supported clubs in the world are fickle. The Mackems are more fickle the Geordies more deluded

Inter Me Nan said:
Not as bad as the rags last season, now that was shit.

ha ha ! i will never forget that night, not a shot on target or a noise from the prawn sandwich cuntz ! Think they learned what true fans where that night with our stadium..<br /><br />-- Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:54 pm --<br /><br />
Ducado said:
FantasyIreland said:
Loved their 'poznan'........
and our fans showing them how to do right

has to be said, the poznan is class...... the front facing by the dortmun fans looked good to...

In terms of turning up in times gone by, they either fill the place or the attendance halves when relegated. I think they were getting around 22/23k the first part of the season the last time they were in Division one as it was. That increased to around 38/40k towards the end of the season with the promotion game selling out.

They are a passionate lot up there, with the best matchday experience in Privilege a tenner can buy ;-)

Was a decent night out as well when I was at Sunderland Uni, every other business was a bar. Not sure what it's like now.

A lot of things played part in them being quiet i think, they only had 1800 tickets, we scored straight away, the game was on TV so people might not have made the journey etc.....

And after them dortmund fans in the week you might still be a little bit deaf as well! haha

mancmackem said:
In terms of turning up in times gone by, they either fill the place or the attendance halves when relegated. I think they were getting around 22/23k the first part of the season the last time they were in Division one as it was. That increased to around 38/40k towards the end of the season with the promotion game selling out.

They are a passionate lot up there, with the best matchday experience in Privilege a tenner can buy ;-)

Was a decent night out as well when I was at Sunderland Uni, every other business was a bar. Not sure what it's like now.

I think the Sunderland fans are as good as most in the league.
Always get good gates at home, always take good support away.
Had nothing to in terms of success last 35 years, working class area. I’ve been to the the new ground and Roker Park.
Mixed with loads of their fans and think most are spot on.

Best away support I’ve ever seen was at Maine road, I think they got relegated, brought 15,000 down.
Sang their hearts out.

Great club with great history.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.