Sunderland in the Championship 2017/2018

Would like to know how much cash went in for Ross to buy the club. If the debt figures are true that is a massive investment and/or wright off!

My very basic understanding is Ellis wrote of circa £120m and received £50m. So a loss of £70m in the deal with Ross to buy the club. You have to factor in that he was unlikely to ever see the £120m but still. That is a big number.

Ohh and err FFP?

Thanks, so no debt ? That's a good start, but will he provide some funds to strengthen do you think, I've not followed it as closely as you will obviously.

Ross appears to have done well on the face of it, but imho the level isn't great, but he's young, and again that's probably good, because he'll be enthusiastic, and not scared to try new things, hopefully he'll get a decent start. I know many of us wish Sunderland all the best, but a completely new start will be tough in that division, many of us still remember it 'fondly'

Cheers mate, yes, I remember it back in 1987... hopefully just for 1 season again...see if we can find the next Marco Gabbiadini

Sunderland will apparently recieve £34m in parachute payments this summer, if you consider the likes of Rochdale survive on £1m a year, Sunderland should walk that league, it will be interesting to see how they go

"Should" and " Sunderland" are two words never to be used in a sentence regarding winning.
"Interesting"...yes....we are likely to be most teams cup final.... just as you are in the Premier.

Cheers mate, yes, I remember it back in 1987... hopefully just for 1 season again...see if we can find the next Marco Gabbiadini

"Should" and " Sunderland" are two words never to be used in a sentence regarding winning.
"Interesting"...yes....we are likely to be most teams cup final.... just as you are in the Premier.
I have close ties to Blackburn and they were as you say along with Wigan most teams cup final....Blackburn were the highest spenders in the league on transfers but it was nowhere near what Sunderland will have, if you get the right players and by that I mean players with something to prove young and hungry who are used to performing at that level you should have no issues getting out 1st time and trust me Blackburn were a bigger basket case than Sunderland and they had no parachute payment to rely on where as you guys do, good luck I will be putting my shilling on you getting out anyway, it might be a culture shock to begin with but you will settle into it I’m sure

And were during our one and only (so far ;-) ) season in the third tier.

Hi mate,

I’m delighted that Short has finally sold and hopefully, there is now light at the end of the tunnel. If the debt has been paid off, that’s a great start, and you will be able to go forward and quickly regain your place at English football's top table.

And were during our one and only (so far ;-) ) season in the third tier.

Hi mate,

I’m delighted that Short has finally sold and hopefully, there is now light at the end of the tunnel. If the debt has been paid off, that’s a great start, and you will be able to go forward and quickly regain your place at English football's top table.
Cheers fella...hopefully we can start moving the right way

With that rationale they should still be in the Championship.
The championship is a total different dog than league 1, there are some very big clubs in there with very good budgets, and it’s ultra competitive, so with that in mind it’s understandable a club like Sunderland as big as they are once on a slippy slope it’s difficult to stop
Dropping in to league one clearing the decks of deadwood will allow them to rebuild and the budget they will have will see them clear favourites to come back up
It’s no coincidence Wigan and Blackburn the 2 clubs who came down from the championship last year and who had the biggest budgets have bounced straight back up, I expect Sunderland will do the same

It’s no coincidence Wigan and Blackburn the 2 clubs who came down from the championship last year and who had the biggest budgets have bounced straight back up, I expect Sunderland will do the same

Leeds, Forest, Southampton, Charlton, Sheffield United... all had the biggest budgets when they were relegated and none of them 'bounced straight back up'.

Southampton were down there for two seasons. Forest and Leeds, three seasons. Sheffield United, six seasons. Charlton are still down there.

There are just as many big clubs that don't bounce straight back up.

I honestly think going down again will do sunderland the world of good,they have been used to struggling and just surviving for too long,this might be the kick up the arse they needed to kick start their hearts again.

think it will be very tough to start with,you will be seen as the team to beat ,so I can see some bad results to start with,

any news on the new manager.

Leeds, Forest, Southampton, Charlton, Sheffield United... all had the biggest budgets when they were relegated and none of them 'bounced straight back up'.

Southampton were down there for two seasons. Forest and Leeds, three seasons. Sheffield United, six seasons. Charlton are still down there.

There are just as many big clubs that don't bounce straight back up.
And like I said there are some that do and I expect Sunderland to do what Blackburn and Wigan have this season

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.