Sunderland post match thread

Kolarov played ok but let's not get carried away here, he was under minimal pressure for the most part and when he did have to defend, he was very suspect as he always is, aerially he was pretty vital with our lack of height but any 6ft+ player who can play a bit of football could have slotted in there today and looked ok
I been pretty critical of Kolarov & I was genuinely surprised (& disappointed) to see his name on the team sheet, but I have a lot of faith in Pep & I thought if he thinks he's good enough, I'll go along with that.

I've now got even more faith in Pep. Yes, he had less to do than he will in other games this season, but he played much better than I'm used to. Of the 3 full backs on show today he wasn't the best (I thought the other 2 did really well in their new roles) but he was far more disciplined than we're used to. Well done Aleks.

Clearly this is still work in progress for everyone, but I am very excited about the future under this innovative manager. Remember, Barcelona began his reign with a defeat & a draw. City will set the bar for other teams in the PL.

I liked the interchanging. The movement of players in and out of the back line worked well.

After watching pre-season, and looking at the line-up, it was the defence that worked well I thought, although Sunderland did not attack much. Going forward I thought we were limited. De Bruyne, Nolito and Aguero all quiet. Sterling and Navas when he came on were the players who threatened for us. We noticeably stepped it up when they equalised and it looked like a goal was coming.

A good start. And most importantly 3 points in the bag.

All about the learning while trying to stay in contention. Just wait till we get a fit Gundogan in there, with a few months of proper coaching and games.

Great start for me.

First time in 2 years I actually see a plan and structure to our team regardless who plays.

We have had no pre season and still some main players out.

Really enjoyed watching the team and pep shouting his orders out from the side, he was like our captain. We even managed to find our own player from a throw in and it's been a while since I witnessed that.

We will have a few months before we are on fire and no doubt the odd silly goal given away but we are going to be hard to beat.

Have to agree the atmosphere was flat after 10 mins but we are all just getting our head around the pep way.

It's going to be a great season for us.

Good to see a new city side and we don't have everyone on board yet.
I'd love to see the following line up very shortly:
Hart/Caballero
Sagna Stones Kompany Delph/Clichy
Gundogan Fernandinho
Sterling De Bruyne/Silva Sane
Aguero
We have so many options. Still got Sane and Gundogan to come in, and Kompany to come back.

Huge learning curve and clearly still a work in progress. We will improve as the season goes on. If we are there or thereabouts after Christmas there will be no stopping us.

Pep says Raheem Sterling 'played amazing', labelled him a 'fighter' and wants to unlock the 'real Sterling'.
Pep: "In the second half we played really, really well. We made good build-ups, with Kolarov, Fernandinho and Sagna."
Pep: "Maybe we should attack quicker but that is normal. We have to learn. I saw many good things about the spirit of the team."

The only people who can be disappointed with that are those whose expectations were way too high to begin with.

Beating possibly the worst team in the Premier League by a penalty and an own goal is not something to get excited about.
What you say 'may' be true, but can you honestly say you saw no positives: Sterling, Stones, Alex, a new system in progress? Sincere question?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.