Supporting another team??

I always find these questions a little strange. Surely you would try going to a couple of games first, to see how it feels. What's the atmosphere like? The fans?
I used to live in Madrid and really looked forward to my first Real game at the Bernabeu. Went a couple of times and found the lack of atmosphere really depressing. Tried Atletico which was better, but then went to a Rayo Vallecano game. Absolutely fantastic atmosphere, great fans and a real local club. Needless to say, I started going regularly. Same thing before I moved to Leipzig. Looked forward to seeing Lok Leipzig, found most of the fans to be super right-wing with a sometimes really aggressive, poisonous atmosphere. Tried Sachsen Leipzig, the 'left-wing' team, got fed up with their 'holier than thou' attitude. I now watch RB Leipzig which, even though their sponsored by Red Bull, do more to attract families and kids to their games than any football club I've visited.
I don't really think it's possible to 'choose' what team to support in another town or city until you've been to their home games and tried it out.

davymcfc said:
I like good football more than anything so when there is a local derby I tend to just hope for a decent game.

Generally I prefer Liverpool over Everton, Wednesday over Sheffield united, arsenal over spurs, newcastle over Sunderland, rangers over Celtic.
You like Arsenal over Spurs?

There's only two clubs I hate more than Arsenal; United and FC United.

London: West Ham United
Yorkshire: Sheffield United
Liverpool: Everton
Midlands: Birmingham
South coast: Portsmouth
Geordieland: Newcastle
Southwest: Bristol Rovers
Wales: Hate all of them

Manchester Man City of course
Yorkshire Leeds
East Midlands Derby (second team)
West Midlands Villa
North East Newcastle
Lancashire Blackpool
Anglia Ipswich
London Spurs
South Coast Southampton
Wales Swansea
Scotland Rangers
Liverpool Tranmere

London - West Ham
Birmingham - Villa
Barcelona - Espanyol
Madrid - Athletico Madrid
Rome - Lazio
Liverpool - Everton
Glasgow - Celtic

I was brought up to support a local team, like a club you have some connection with.

My Dad has watched City for years, then moved to Bolton and watched them for years.
He's been a season ticket holder at Malaga CF in Spain for the past 12yrs now haha...

So for me wherever I lived I would find a club near to me, as much as I love City travelling from one end of the country for every home game would cost too much.
I live in Bury now but I've cycled to Maine rd and Etihad from here a few times so for me its local.

Caveman said:
davymcfc said:
I like good football more than anything so when there is a local derby I tend to just hope for a decent game.

Generally I prefer Liverpool over Everton, Wednesday over Sheffield united, arsenal over spurs, newcastle over Sunderland, rangers over Celtic.
You like Arsenal over Spurs?

There's only two clubs I hate more than Arsenal; United and FC United.
In general yes. They used to play great football and used to beat united to titles. I don't particularly like any of them.

leipzigblue said:
I always find these questions a little strange. Surely you would try going to a couple of games first, to see how it feels. What's the atmosphere like? The fans?
I used to live in Madrid and really looked forward to my first Real game at the Bernabeu. Went a couple of times and found the lack of atmosphere really depressing. Tried Atletico which was better, but then went to a Rayo Vallecano game. Absolutely fantastic atmosphere, great fans and a real local club. Needless to say, I started going regularly. Same thing before I moved to Leipzig. Looked forward to seeing Lok Leipzig, found most of the fans to be super right-wing with a sometimes really aggressive, poisonous atmosphere. Tried Sachsen Leipzig, the 'left-wing' team, got fed up with their 'holier than thou' attitude. I now watch RB Leipzig which, even though their sponsored by Red Bull, do more to attract families and kids to their games than any football club I've visited.
I don't really think it's possible to 'choose' what team to support in another town or city until you've been to their home games and tried it out.
And breathe...Just a bit of fun!!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.