Supporting Two Teams?

Is it possible to support two teams equally?

Whom would such people want to win, should their two clubs face each other?

I know a lot have a "second" team, whose results they keep an eye on. As far as I’m concerned, that’s Exeter City, as a mate used to play for them.

Many years ago, a lad I went to school with, a Spurs fan, couldn’t understand why I’d want City to beat Plymouth. I didn’t think to ask him, which team he’d want to win, if Argyle played Tottenham.

I’m asking, because I don’t believe that it is possible to support two teams equally, but others might say differently.

I follow City as I was born a mile form MR and have had my season ticket 40 plus years.

I also follow Darlington FC as they became my second team as a kid when they sent me a load of programmes free of charge. Never grew out of it and would watch them whenever they played local and I couldnt get to City.

Obviously with the rise of TV games kick off times vary making it easier to watch both.

It works well for me. I am off to Darlington on Sat to watch them play then going to a pub for City at Bournemouth before getting the train home to Manchester.

Its a difficult thing to explain to people I appreciate and I often refer to myself as a 2 club wanker.

Its expensive as although I dont do many City aways nowadays ( I do quite a few Euro aways) running 2 season tickets along with donating to Darlingtons budget means I sacrifice some things.

If you support a team that is not from where you are from, why the fuck wouldn't you at least have some sort of feeling/attachment to the local club that represents your area?

That would seem natural to me.
When we played Swindon in the FA Cup a couple of years ago I got talking to a group of twenty something locals, boys and girls, who were all there to support Swindon.

Thing is they all supported a Premier League team, mostly Arsenal but some Liverpool. And consequently they all 'hated" City. (Hated is too strong a word for it but they saw City as the enemy).

Was away recently and over the course of the week a bloke in the bar had a couple of City tops on but also wore a lower league teams shirt (bury I think). Found it a bit odd.

Sunderland, have a soft spot for them because my Dad was from Co Durham and it was the team he supported prior to coming down to Manchester. And still have family up there who support them. But support them no, keep my eye on results, but hope we give them a good hiding when we play each other.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.