Supporting your local team.

Cityisland said:
Noel Gallagher apparently said the other day that he will not be raising his children to be city fans as he believes you should support a team close to where you are born. Fair comment.

I live on the Isle of wight and constantly battle with United and Liverpool fans saying pretty much the same thing to them.

As a City fan (originally from Longsight) i am very much in the minority here and people constantly ask why i dont support the rags. It does my head in.

The problem is, i have a little girl. Born on the Island. I am already raising her as a blue.

If/when we become successful, will she suffer the same abuse as united/liverpool fans from the south of england?

Am i wrong to push City onto her? It would break my heart if she were to support anyone else. Should i be encouraging her to support the likes of Pompey or Southampton?

I am from a long line of blues and do not want to break the chain.

Any thoughts?

I was born in Washington DC and still live here, but I was raised as a third generation Blue, my Grandparents passed down the legacy and I couldn't imagine supporting someone else. Nothing wrong with raising your kids to support the team you support, the link is there and it will be all the more meaningful when your kids grow up.

No problem City for the Premier League and Newport Isle of Wight FC for local. Plus both teams can do 8 -1 away defeats......which is nice!

If I have a kid and if I live on the other side of the world, they'll be born blue and any fucker that says I'm wrong will have to deal with me!

Who are you meant to support if you're an expat born in Andorra or Lichtenstein or somewhere shit like that where their club teams are as good as Sunday league teams?

If she is/turns out to be a daddy's girl, you won't need to "push" City onto her anyway, she'll decide that herself. My dad never really forced City onto me, and as soon as I got really into football there was no other way I could see apart from blue, because I look up to my daddy :)

As for the abuse - meh, so what? As long as she knows, and you know, she's a blue for all the right reasons then it doesn't matter what anyone else says does it?

I've always agreed with the sentiment about supporting your local team - a very easy thing for me to do being brought up in Manchester and therefore only having City or City reserves to choose from.

But its not always that simple.

Now exiled in Carlisle, and dispite introducing the kids to Maine Road when they were 3 years old, I decided to take them to see Carlisle a few years ago. As we approached the ground we heard a chant of "United"; I couldn't go through with the child abuse so we went home without going in.

Needless to say they are proud to be Blue and can hold their own at school.

Cityisland said:
Noel Gallagher apparently said the other day that he will not be raising his children to be city fans as he believes you should support a team close to where you are born. Fair comment.

I live on the Isle of wight and constantly battle with United and Liverpool fans saying pretty much the same thing to them.

As a City fan (originally from Longsight) i am very much in the minority here and people constantly ask why i dont support the rags. It does my head in.

The problem is, i have a little girl. Born on the Island. I am already raising her as a blue.

If/when we become successful, will she suffer the same abuse as united/liverpool fans from the south of england?

Am i wrong to push City onto her? It would break my heart if she were to support anyone else. Should i be encouraging her to support the likes of Pompey or Southampton?

I am from a long line of blues and do not want to break the chain.

Any thoughts?
At the Hamburg home game I met a guy who had an extreme scouse accent, I was taken aback. He found my reaction funny, all I said was why? To which he said was 'the old fella is a Manc'. A direct link, not plastic.

blue jim said:
If I have a kid and if I live on the other side of the world, they'll be born blue and any fucker that says I'm wrong will have to deal with me!

well said jim....

dont fuck with jim!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.